anyone know how to avoid orange hands when spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink_lady

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I'm quite new to spray tanning, I have been practising on a few friends and family members which all seem to be turning out quite well, apart from the hands, they are going quite orange:grr: espically on the sides of the hands and in between the fingers are still white.
any tips would be muchly apprciated :green:
Thanks xxx

i moisturise the hands and apply barrier cream to nails. avoid the hand throughtout the rest of the body. get them to bend there hands forwards when say doing the back etc so no tan at all can hit the palms. at the very end i get them to spread there fingers and slightly bend them and mist over the hands quickly. the hands will look lighter at first but then overnight they start to blend in giving a much more natural look.

Hi Geeks,
I'm quite new to spray tanning, I have been practising on a few friends and family members which all seem to be turning out quite well, apart from the hands, they are going quite orange:grr: espically on the sides of the hands and in between the fingers are still white.
Thanks xxx

Well I would say there is too much solution going in that direction. I do hands very quickly, and lightly you want them to keep there hands out of the way when spraying the legs as some people naturally hold them by their side and get over spray, so I get them to put them on their tummy till I get up to there then out to the side, it will all come in time.. Lots of practice xx

hey hun I had same prob few months ago so heres all the advice Ive been given

Fully barrier cream palms of hands
ensure palms are always facing away from you
ensure arms/hands are above the head or stretched out if room when doing torso and legs
when doing arms either spray from side to side stopping at wrist or spary up from wrist to shoulder (i was taught to spray down from shoulder to wrist but feel there was too much overspray on hands)
when spraying hands get them to make a claw with there hands, turn your gun down a little and stand further back and just do a quick spray
also ensure you gun is set correctly and when you have the black dial completly closed you only need to turn it about a quatre turn open to spray

HTH:hug:

yep simple and guarenteed no orange palms every time

get your client to apply a reasonble layer of barrier cream to the palms of their hands stick over the palm a square sheet of kitchen roll or what ever other roll you use. The barrier cream holds the sheet in place and thats it after the tan remove the paper and hands are perfect. Give them a fresh piece of roll to remove any access cream and notify them not to touch their body as tan will transfer and if its a late night tan suggets they put a pair of socks on their hands for bed to avoid transfer.

Its really easy and works a treat and my clients really see the difference and as i always say orange palms is the giveaway of a fake tan

Does anyone wear gloves whilst spraying??

My clients dont get orange hands but i always do!! I always end up with either an orange palm or some patches of tan on my hands somewhere!! It maybe when im putting the tent away? Or maybe when im filling up/emptying the gun..

Im considering wearing some rubber/latex gloves till everything is put away to save my hands going a lovely brown/orange colour! :eek:

And yes on my clients I always put barrier cream on the nails and palms of hands and right at the end I give them a wet wipe to doubly make sure there is no tan on the palms and tell them not to touch themselves. Oh and good idea about the socks on hands if they're due to go to bed! Am going to pinch that bit of advice if you dont mind.

My clients dont get orange hands but i always do!! I always end up with either an orange palm or some patches of tan on my hands somewhere!! It maybe when im putting the tent away? Or maybe when im filling up/emptying the gun..

Im considering wearing some rubber/latex gloves till everything is put away to save my hands going a lovely brown/orange colour! :eek:

And yes on my clients I always put barrier cream on the nails and palms of hands and right at the end I give them a wet wipe to doubly make sure there is no tan on the palms and tell them not to touch themselves. Oh and good idea about the socks on hands if they're due to go to bed! Am going to pinch that bit of advice if you dont mind.

not at all thats what were all here for to help each other, and yeah i always wear gloves otherwise my hands end up in an mess :eek:

you can also try scrummi DHA tan removal wipes for those lil mishaps, they're pretty good!

Hiya.

I put vaseline on the palms, spray more lightly than the rest of the body and get the client to crab their hands whilst spraying to avoid the white inbetween fingers.

x

I always wear gloves when doing a spray tan... lesson learnt when I did my first spray tan and my hands looked horrendous lol!

Also i put quite alot of barrier cream on the palms of the hands and the nails, once I have finished the tan I use make up wipes from Primark to wipe over the palms of their hands, this way there should be no tan on their hands.

And like said above, if sleeping wear socks, I didnt and I must have slept on my hands as they ended up orange lol xx

Thanks for all the advice, its a big help, going to get some practising now xxx

Thanks ABDiva - Im going to start wearing gloves now as im doing more tans now so don't want to permanently have brown/orange umpa lumpa hands lol

And thank you Pink Lady for starting this thread! :green:

Hi Geeks,
Thanks xxx

Hello...
Don't beat yourself up about this...it happens to most of us when we are just starting out!

I totally agree with all the advice you have been given. I also apply barrier cream, ensure that hardly any over spray goes on to the hands, ask clients to claw there hands and then spray lightly from a distance. I also wipe their palms to remove any access tan and advise them not to touch during development time!

I haven't tried it myself but I read a great tip on here once...

Buy 2 tennis balls and ask your client to hold one in each hand with their fingers clawed. This ensures even coverage over the hands & between the fingers and it makes it very difficult for any tan to reach the palms!!

Good luck hun xxx

Yes...I always wear gloves! It really helps to keep your hands free from tan but I have been prone to the odd clumsy day when it's splashed onto my arms when I having been cleaning my gun out...lol xxx

I'm the same as the others, vaseline on the palms as a barrier and dont spray the palms. Spray at the end in a tilted claw like position and then wipe with a baby wipe at the end and show the client they have clean palms.

Always make sure when you are spraying dif parts of the body the hands are not in the way, like legs, always get the clients to lift the hands away from the area spraying. When doing the inside of the arm i always get the client to tilt the hand back. At the end i still give them a wipe to wipe over, but what you also need to remind them is for them to be careful thought out the day/night at touching themselfs, they will do it before they get dressed 'im i dry' haha. I just advise them to wipe over their palms few times a day. I never bother with barrier creams and never get any complaints. I think its all about confidence as well. Its good to use at the beginning if your unsure.
Jesus... sorry for the essay, you can tell ave not been on here for a while :)

Latest posts

Back