Anyone live in Somerset?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missljw

Reaction score
Hi all! Me and my boyfriend are having a weekend away next weekend for his birthday and are going to Somerset. We are staying at Nether stowey near bridge water.

My main question is - is it flooded? We keep hearing on the news and radio about awful flooding down there but I can find exact areas? I've tried to contact the cottage we are staying in but not currently getting a reply.

And thn just if anyone has any ideas where are good places to go and see around the area? Preferably places you don't have to pay to go to or are quite cheap :) so nice walks or gardens etc.

Thank you!!

I'm in Somerset. The flooded areas are really on the Somerset levels, which is more towards Langport and Mutchelney..........they are totally flooded out and blocked off.
I think Bridgewater is fine, if you do a google search on "flooding in Somerset", you should find an aeriel view of the area that's underwater, but, as i said, I'm sure you'll be fine there.

Bath is beautiful to visit, a little expensive with the parking in the centre, so go for the park and ride if you visit there. The roman baths are very interesting, plus, it's just a lovely place to be.

Glastonbury is always an experience if you fancy, with the Abbey, and Chalice Well gardens, but not too good on a rainy day. Very spiritual shops, the best one is the Goddess and the Green Man, and the Psychic Piglet. A lovely Egon Ronay vegetarian cafe next to the goddess and the green man.......Rainbows End, stunning food, you must go there, but gets very busy. you can also walk up Glastonbury Tor, the view is stunning, and steeped in history.
I would suggest the coast, but not in this weather!

Bradford on Avon is a wonderful place, but sadly I think that is still under water.
I think there is an indoor carting centre in Bridgewater, a pool too.

Best thing to do is Google places to go in Somerset, but you really must go to Bath. A lot depends on how much you want to travel too, and what your interests are.

Let me know if you need any more help, maybe I've given you a couple of ideas.

That's good to know thank you!

Will definitely be going to bath then- might stop off on our way to/from the cottage as we will be coming from Northampton so go near to it.

I'll have a look at the rest of the places you've mentioned an i'll pm you if I have any more questions :) hopefully the weather will improve a little but and we'll get some sunshine!

Cheddar would be good too, the caves, and the "Witch of Wookey Hole".

You also have Taunton too, which is quite nice if you like the shops.

The main flooded areas are to the east of the motorway, so avoid Langport.
If you're into naval history, there is the fleet air arm museum at yeovilton...........you either love it or hate it!

Oh yes, Clarke's village, (the shopping discount village), some nice places to eat there, you could do this if you go to Glastonbury as it's just down the road. xx

Oh I used to live in Somerset. Yeovil, ilchester, Henstridge etc etc. Even with the flooding I would still like to move back down there.

You will like too guaranteed. Bath is lovely, lots of quaint shops and cafés and site seeing stuff. Shaftesbury is ok too. There is Gold Hill which is used for the Hovis advert. Very very steep.

Wookey Hole, the caves at Chedder Gorge too. I would check with them first though for flooding just in case as there is a lake in there.

Sounds like there's lots of places round there so that's great :) will have to see where they all are in relation to where we are staying and make a plan if where to go!

I can't wait now!

Just hope the weather is a little kinder to you..................it'a a very beautiful county, but more so when the sun is shining.!

Just hope the weather is a little kinder to you..................it'a a very beautiful county, but more so when the sun is shining.!

Me too! For the past 4 years on mine an my boyfriends birthday we have been away somewhere in the uk - his birthday being in jan and mine at end of November, and each time we have always been really lucky and had amazing sunshine! Hopefully it won't be any different this year but I feel we've had our luck to long for it to last! Haha

There's an underground car park in bath that's not too pricey and it's free after 7pm so if your just after a wonder round it won't cost anything.

There's also Eber gorge right next to cheddar gorge which is just stunning.

If you'd like to do a bit of shopping, there's clarks village, bath and Bristol Cabot circus.

There's also a dry ski slope, horse riding and loads of stuff available in Churchill. And the thatchers cider factory does tours.

You can always travel down to Weston super mare, subject to the temperament of the sea. Hth. X

If you go to Cheddar Gorge, have afternoon tea at Grandmas Tea Room, you get about 8 different slices of cake! I live in North Somerset, it's gurt lush!! Xx

Another vote for Grandmas Tea Room!

Soggy Somerset is looking forward to seeing you :) The snowdrops are out so its not all bad :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks - oooo love a good afternoon tea so shall put that at the top of my to do list! Haha

So many places to choose from I'm spoilt, will have to go again at some point to get them all in :)

If you go to Cheddar Gorge, have afternoon tea at Grandmas Tea Room, you get about 8 different slices of cake! I live in North Somerset, it's gurt lush!! Xx

Of course! Stuffed myself silly there on several occasions! (Then gone to the fish and chip shop later)

Latest posts

Back