Anyone starting college September 2015?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco.

Reaction score
Hi, thought I would start a new thread for those starting college in September.
There was one started last year which I belonged too but due to an operation I had to put it back a year and also switched courses.

I'm starting Beauty Therapy level 2 NVQ, doing a full time course then planning on doing the level 3
The salon where I have my hair done has offered to have me in there to gain some experience and help out when I want too, while I'm studying my course.

I'm just waiting now for my summer information pack which will have my order forms for my kit and uniform, I think it's a deep purple tunic and trousers

I have brought the latest text book off eBay, HABIA were selling some stock off as they were damaged so got it for £10 with free delivery, but there isn't a mark on the book at all so worth having a look on eBay for items like that

I'm a mature student, I'm 33 and really looking forward to learning my new career and getting started in the industry

So anyone else out there that's doing a course this September, please comment and maybe we can help each other as we go along and let each other know how it's going

[emoji3]

i'm going back to finish my level 3 hairdressing, had a year out as the salon i was at were supposed to be putting me through my level 3 but never happened

had my interview about 2 months ago, still waiting to here back...fingers crossed!

can't wait to go back and get it finished :)

Hi Coco I remember you from last years thread. It was poor luck about having to have your operation! But although you think it's never going to happen, doesn't 12 months fly by, and now hopefully you can start your course with your operation behind you!! [emoji2] it was a really popular thread wasn't it, but I think you're right we need a new one ready for the new college year!

I'm a mature student too, Ive just turned 29. I have just finished my level 2 beauty, which we did part time one day a week at college, with lots of theory study in our own time at home. Im thrilled to be qualified (just waiting for our certificates to be sent through in August time) and I can't wait to hang that certificate up in pride of place somewhere!! [emoji2] I still don't feel very confident AT ALL doing treatments, so I'm really hoping that will improve as I practise. [emoji53][emoji53]

It's so exciting isn't it! The level 2 kit we had was quite expensive, but there was loads of exciting stuff in it! I've heard that the level 3 kit you really don't need much at all? But maybe someone else could let me know?

Im hoping to start level 3 in September. Ive heard rumours the college are changing the uniforms, we currently wear black tunics with our own black trousers. And they are thinking of changing to grey? So I might have a new uniform to purchase.

I have applied for a level 3 apprenticeship at the college, so I'm waiting to hear if I've got an interview for that. I really feel like that would improve my confidence a bit, getting to practise treatments on clients as I study for my level 3. But if I don't get the apprenticeship, I am hoping to enrol on the part time course. If anyone else is doing apprenticeship I would love to hear about it!

All the best guys xxx

Ps I like the sound of deep purple tunic and trousers better than blummin grey! [emoji2]

Hi! I'm so excited to find this thread :) I'm also a 'mature' student lol I'm 29 I'm currently a practice nurse part time and have 2 young children. Been wanting to do Beaty therapy since before my eldest was born and he's now 5. I've applied to my local collage for a part time level 2 to get me started 1 evening a week. Just waiting for my date for induction, costs and times is what the latest letter said! looking forward to getting to 'know' you all and can't wait to start! Thanks for the tip about the book I'll have a look :)

Sparkly snow that spuds like a very good idea, I didn't know u can do an aprentaship along side an nvq. Wouldn't mind that myself if the hours suited, after my level 2 of course! I do get carried away, need to start this course first!

Did you just search beauty therapy books on eBay? Is there a specific one we will need? x

I brought a book by Lorraine Nordman the official guide to level 2 beauty therapy NVQ I just put beauty therapy level 2 in the eBay search and this was the newest version number 5

I already had an older version but wanted the more update one and for £10 it was a bargain, it's good to get started on learning the anatomy and physiology as I've heard it's quite hard to remember and you need a high pass rate on your exams

Yes I'm looking forward to getting on with my course finally and glad my arm turned out ok and the operation was successful

My course is £1,000 per year and uniform and kit is £120 for both

Hehe well so far it sounds like we are all 'mature' students [emoji2][emoji2]
Livelaughlove - Yes I have the Loraine Nordman one as well, and it is good. It came with the kit. But you could ring your college and ask which text book they use before you purchase one to double check? If you were interested in an apprenticeship they do also offer them for level 2 beauty as well. But the apprentice wage is shocking. However, I have decided that for me it is worth a low wage for 12 months in order for me to build my confidence and experience, both of which I'm sadly lacking!!! So let's hope I get an interview!!! [emoji51]

I found there was a lovely mix of ages on our PT course, the youngest about 21 up to ladies in their 50s and it was really nice! Everyone was really motivated and enthusiastic because everyone wanted to change their career and get jobs at the end of it. Can't wait to start my level 3!!

If anyone knows what the level 3 kit includes, I would be interested in knowing? The options are Level 3 Diploma VRQ General Beauty Therapy, or Level 3 Diploma NVQ Massage Route. I'm thinking, does it just contain massage oil?

I'm not starting college this year but I think you can only get paid an apprentice wage up to a certain age so just double check that girls!

Forgot to add after that it's national minimum wage I think x

Thanks I'll see what I can find out re the aprentaship and will look for the book :)

Best of luck to you all. I wish there had been something like this when I went to college. I was also a 'mature' student and loved every minute of it.

Vic x

i'm going back to finish my level 3 hairdressing, had a year out as the salon i was at were supposed to be putting me through my level 3 but never happened

had my interview about 2 months ago, still waiting to here back...fingers crossed!

can't wait to go back and get it finished :)

Holliekwx, I think you should chase them if you've not heard back for two months. I would have expected a response well before now. Just a quick call asking if there's been any progress with your application is all you need to say.

So ove had another letter today stating the start date cost and time the course will be running- Thursday's 6-9pm. I can go along for a chat before starting on 3rd sept so looking forward to that. All very informal I've not even had an interview! the cost is £902.50 and can be paid in instalments I'm thinking and hoping they might be £100 a month. Has anyone else heard off there college yet with start date?

Hello ladies :p

I am also a mature student, I'll be 29 next week and I've just enrolled on a combined nvq2 beauty therapy & nvq2 nail technician course at a beauty training school. I had looked into studying these at tech but as they are both one year full-time courses I thought it best I apply for a (unfortunately more expensive) combined course as at nearly 29 I'm feeling rather impatient.... However I'm SOOOO glad I'm finally talking the plunge to do something I love!!

The combined course is running for 35weeks on a Monday day and Thursday evening starting Sept 14th, it's costing £1625 but they were very flexible with payment plan options (thank god!). There are only 5 other students other course with me and I think I am given the kit (I asked if we had to purchase one when starting and was told no but perhaps I should have been more specific, hmm) . I will still be working full time in my job as a children's residential support worker as the mortgage won't pay itself (sigh).

I've absolutely loved reading the posts in this group! You've given me some ideas and even more questions (soo glad to see mature students applying like me)!

I will definitely be buying the book, I hadn't heard of it before reading through this thread.

Can I ask if any of you are thinking of opening your own salon eventually? I know I'm starting at the bottom but you got to dream big right!?

Are there any good websites to get your tunics from? (plain black required for me).

With regards to apprenticeships... Do some salons put you through the other qualifications like the nvq3's? Or is this just a few lucky people?
Do you necessarily have to work in a salon? Say I finished this course and went on to finish an nvq3 in both beauty therapy and nails.... (if I felt my experience was up to standard and I won the lottery) could I not just go out on my own/open my own salon?

Sorry for the essay here, I'm just very excited and nervous at the potential of a career change :oops:

I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope to keep in contact with you all over this year :)

Carrie

Hi! yay for enrolling it is very exciting! I'd love to have my own salon or beauty room at home one day I really would! But I'm going to see how it goes, start doing friends and fam and build up my confidence and techniques etc and then hopefully branch out mobile maybe or see if there's anything around in any salons or spas but the money isn't very good! and been a nurse I miser to at least double the hourly pay beauty therapist get, so I'm not sure could be worth it if they will offer to put me on further courses or if it's just a few days a week along side my nursing as I don't want to give that up but I only work 2 days a week so plenty of time to fit in beauty also.

Will hit go step by step and see where it leads me :)

In regards to the book what is the latest edition, think the one I've seen in eBay is 2011? Or 2009 something like that. Is there a more recent version? Thanks :)

Just want to wish all those enrolling for September good luck with your courses. I completed my level 3 massage two weeks ago and I'm missing college already. If you guys are 'mature' at 30, I'm extra mature, just had my 50th birthday! I'm also moving from 25+years as a nurse to setting up my own business, scary!

With regards to books, I used the college library and only bought a couple business related through good ol' ebay & amazon so unless you have a book list, wait and see which books you'd actually use & like.

My college uniform was only available through one supplier as it was discounted for us. My working uniform choose to fit in with my business theme. I actually bought it at the professional beauty show at Olympia, show discount price

Good luck everyone. Hope you all have fun. The time will fly by
X

I havent heard anymore yet just waiting for my summer pack with everything in to arrive, I did have a sudden worry 'what if they didn't receive my acceptance slip in the post' but I emailed and they have, because I only had 2 weeks to send it in or you lose your offer of a place.
It's been 6 months since my offer of a place and it seems to be taking forever to roll around too September
Can't wait to get started now :)

Latest posts

Back