Anyone suffer tooth problems in pregnancy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
just wondered if anyone else suffered with toothaches whilst pregnant? i feel like I'm going round in a never ending circle. Im a dental phobic & have dodged the dentist for years, i only ever go when absolutely required (pain that wont go etc...) so i had been having a niggle in a top tooth for a few months prior to my ivf treatment for which I just took painkillers if it got too bad & the pain did always go away, but once I fell pregnant I didn't want to take any painkillers & did plan on visiting a dentist, I say did 'plan' on but one night when I was around 7 weeks pregnant the pain in that tooth really kicked off & didn't stop! no amount of cleaning my mouth or home remedies worked, so I HAD to ring my mums dentist (private practice but do accept some nhs) i told the receptionist my problem & she very kindly accepted me as an nhs patient (luckily no fee to pay with my maternity exemption card)

I went in the next day, had an examination & was told I needed three regular fillings & a root canal treatment & then possibly an extraction of a tooth if it couldn't be saved :eek: Dentist gave me a course of amoxicillin as he said I had an abcess under a tooth which was causing the pain, the amoxicillin didnt work & 3 days later I was back in his chair & had the first part of the root canal treatment done, pain stopped dead & I couldn't of been happier !!!!!!

A week later a different tooth started! ended up back in at the dentist, he put a temp dressing in & told me he would try do the proper filling the week after but he warned me the hole in the tooth was extremely large & he may end up having to pull it, so on the Saturday I couldn't hack it any more & dentist of course closed i ended up at the emergency dentist, 2 injections later & feeling some pain during it :( I walked out with a big back tooth missing.

Pain didn't stop. I went back to my own dentist, he said the gum around extraction site was now infected, more antibiotics. Then you won't believe this, that calmed down a bit but another one started,, I had that tooth filled 3 weeks ago & I'm still getting discomfort in that tooth, its a dull achey pain, several more trips back to the dentist were I have now seen every dentist in the practice yet none can work out what is wrong. Some of these dentists are like qualified for 30+ years & they don't even know what it is :eek:

They won't take X-rays because I am pregnant, they've done all the tapping teeth, question asking, putting cold ice spray on my tooth, checking all the other teeth.. but still no idea. It's not were I'm having to take painkillers but its a constant annoying little ache inside the tooth which is getting me really down now. They have said if it continues then I will have to have a root canal on that tooth even though the filling I had was only a small one so they can't see why a rct would be needed. It happens every day & for most of the day,Also my wisdom tooth has started to ache recently & its been fully grown through for years with never a problem. I suppose its just wanting to join its neighbours in giving me hell lol

I daren't even eat incase my teeth break, I'm living on soft food through fear - its ridiculous! I keep my mouth cleaner than anything, use all good toothpastes / mouth washes, I've been using corsydl & salt wash rinses at the advice of dentist to see if it helps but nope!

I can't afford private treatment as its SO expensive & I'm not in that financial situation right now & no other dentists are taking on nhs so I can't even go anywhere with my maternity exemption card for a second opinion. Although the dentist I'm at do seem really good & apparently are one of the best practices in the area.
Please no one say well you should of gone to the dentist years ago, I know this now & its not like telling me this is going to change my situation :(

I'm 17 weeks pregnant after trying for a baby for 10 years & this pregnancy is just being over run with teeth problems, when i should be enjoying it. any advice? I've pliers here if that helps! ;) Xx

Last edited:
Sorry that was a long post! Xx

Have you got a dental hospital near you?

Unfortunately no we don't xx

Well that's my suggestion out the window, lol

Toothache is hideous to deal with,
I would speak to your dentist and midwife to see what can be done x

The old saying used to be 'Have a baby, lose a tooth' so toothache is common in pregnancy. I would try and do everything that is recommended and don't be afraid to go back for advice. The very best of luck with your long awaited baby x

Sounds like you may have a calcium diffeincy which is really common in pregnancy and means a lot of women loose their teeth whilst pregnant. Take a good dose of calcium and see if that helps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't suffer during pregnancy but have done since. I've been having pain similar to how you've described. But my dentist says theres no fillings needed just my gums around those teeth have shrunk back exposing the nerves. I've been using something I got from the dentist to seal the nerve endings and touch wood its working.

Good luck hope you get it sorted. Theres nothing worse than toothache. And congratulations on your baby :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I suffered terribly with toothache throughout my pregnancy and for a few mths after!!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I had root canal during pregnancy (7mths in) they said they wouldn't be able to use an injection or x-ray or painkillers, so i had to weigh up what would be more painful root canal with no injection or the constant toothache, so i chose the root treatment, i made the right choice because i was completely fine after that (the toothache was way more painful than the treatment, honest)

Aww me too! Dentists always have trouble with my teeth and wether in u.k or abroad they have real problems numbing me. I had to have a root canal done when 8 mths pregnant and no pain relief.it was worth it i could not go on with pain.sorry I can suggest anything more than keep going back.

As they are older dentist they are prop not up to date with GDC guidelines

You CAN have dental X-rays while pregnant as it has been proven that due to the beam being directed at the face there is minimal radiation scatter and in turn the foetus is at little or no risk

Dental X-rays emit the same radiation level as a microwave and I'm sure many pregnant women still use microwaves during their pregnancies!

Hi I'm a dental nurse and we get a lot if pregnant patients in with the same problem.

X-rays can be done with a lead apron (dentists don't like doing it) in case anything happens to the baby - small chance but can't be too safe! You are best sticking with antibiotics and hopefully the infection will go and than get a full mouth X-ray after the baby arrives x

Ru grinding your teeth by any chance or clenching?? This can cause similar pain x

I've been on the nhs website & it says routine X-rays in pregnancy should be avoided, but emergency X-rays are essential & will cause no harm to the baby/pregnancy. Still not jumping for joy at the idea of maybe having to have one though.

I've had local anaesthetic at the dentist 4 times already in this pregnancy, (not by choice.)

I don't even know what blinking tooth it is as it feels like its one tooth but the teeth either side are occasionally hurting yet all dentist checks show none of the teeth looking as though there is anything wrong. I'm almost sure I know what tooth it is though.

Looks like another trip back to the dentist this week.... :( fed up x

I have with all 3 of my girls (took all the calcium from me I'm sure) had 3 removed shortly after the births of eldest 2 as all 3 teeth broke during pregnancy - literally just broke nothing hard eaten (could barely eat during said pregnancies) and I have 2 broken teeth now from being preg with youngest :-(

I went back today, see another dentist from the same practice (my dentist only works 2 days a week & wasn't in)

She took X-rays (I wasn't happy really) but she explained its delaying a diagnosis & as this specific problem has been going on 3 weeks so it needs to be dealt with, she said pregnant women have X-rays all the time when they are needed & if it was just a routine X-ray she wouldn't be doing it, but she really advised I had it to hopefully find the problem out. so I had a couple of X-rays taken.

(I tightly closed my eyes when I had them & said in my head sorry son but mummy needs this sorting now.)

It showed that under the filling in the bottom second premolar that I had done 3 weeks ago was a shadow, either an air pocket or some missed decay.

So she stayed on her dinner break bless her & numbed me up & went in to find the problem, i said id come back after her dinner but she said my tooth was more important than her dinner, i felt like crying how kind she was.

anyway inside she said the pulp area was all inflamed so she did part of a root canal (sorry to the dental nurses on here if I'm not explaining this properly) I felt some pain mid way through when the files were going in so she put some more anaesthetic down in the hole & when she was finished she put in a medicine & finished with a temp filling. Took about 20 minutes so not long really.

This was 6 hours ago & I'm aching in that tooth she worked on today (I had a root canal before on another tooth & it didn't ache afterwards) so hope this is normal? Thanks x

Ive had exactly the same thing but over the peroid of tw years. Various dentists (prob is i dont like going and as soon as pains gone i dont go back). I have large back tooth extraction and root canal either side of it :-( when last prefnant bexame unbarable so went to emerfency dentist who after looking at my notes said they thought i probaly had an infection in my upper jaw bone and surrounding gum? But as preggers wouldnt do the xrays as they would need to b done by a specialst in hospital but to go back and b referd after birth. Babba now 11 weeks and im contemplating going back. Its barable at the mo but im always aware of the niggling feeling. After the treatment ive had there shiuld be no feeling or pain. I would sugest they look into it further after your babys born. I just need to find the time. 2 year old and 11 week old = some days i dont know my own name lol. Enjoy your pregnancy x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ended up back at the dentist again yesterday & had to have the root canal re done, then ended up back again today & have had it extracted !!!

I so hope all this stops now, I'm drained of the dentist x

I'm worried because of all the work I've had done, I've literally been at the dentist every week since being pregnant, 3 times this week alone! x

Latest posts

Back