Anyone thinking of leaving the industry to pursue different career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, although I'm not one of the original posters I have recently been through something similar. I'm a mobile hairdresser btw.

When the first lockdown hit I started window cleaning to make ends meet (the family business so has been part of my life for a long time but this was for real, getting my own round etc. And no I didn't benefit from any of the self employed grants because hadn't been self employed long enough). When the lockdowns lifted I would do as much hair as I could. However I started finding my anxiety levels were sky-rocketing, mainly when it came to new clients. I got to the point where I was terrified for my phone to ring with an unknown number on it, it was starting to disrupt my life somewhat. Throughout this I still carried on window cleaning, which for me is very low stress (hard work yes, but out in the fresh air not in anyone's personal space). I decided for the sake of my mental wellbeing to take my phone number of google. I do think a lot of the anxiety is based on covid-fallout, after months of not doing clients and also all the extra cleaning and ppe precautions we needed to take.

My regular clients do not give me anxiety, so I decided to keep doing my regular clients ( a dozen or so) to keep my skills up (between them they all cover a wide range of cutting and colouring skills and I don't want to lose what I worked so hard for) but my main income is now window cleaning. It pays my bills and any hairdressing is a little extra. It means I'm not panicking about clients cancelling and therefore not having enough that month, and it's the best of both worlds for me. I love hairdressing and couldn't ever imagine not doing it but unfortunately I had to make a call for thr sake of my mental wellbeing based on my circumstances and for me and my family it has definitely been the right thing to do.

Remember though everyone's circumstances are different, and at the end of the day what is right for one person may not be right for another. You need to make a decision based on what is right for you. Maybe write it all down? List of pros and cons is usually our go-to, it makes things a lot clearer!

Aww bless you hun ❤️
Thank you so much for your reply.

Omg... In regards to your phone ringing. That's me all the time. I do not like my phone ringing from numbers I do not know and I get anxiety as well, I have now done the exact same and removed my number from Google literally about a month ago.
I get anxious about new clients as well and their first impression of me. Even tho I've had 5 star reviews from everyone but I do not like having to rely on reviews and promote myself. It starts to feel like a chore and competition and there is way too much competition.

I recently done a beauty teaching course before the lockdown but since we've come back to work I panic and get anxiety now about doing teaching when before I was so motivated and confident.

I didn't even think to mention that until you said what you were going through.
I'm glad you made the right choice for yourself and did what you had to do to stay balanced and be happy.

I was thinking to go mobile myself and keep my same clients and hopefully pick up some new ones but I also feel I will get worried about going into new clients homes as I won't know what to expect.

I've written my notice to my landlord about 2 weeks ago but still not handed it in yet cause I'm really going over in my head what's the best decision to make.

Xx

Latest posts

Back