Anyone use gel paints with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russian doll

Reaction score
Don't know much about gel paints, but they are said to work just like regular paints and I have seen some really gorgeous colours lately, so naturally got wondering if those could be used with Shellac for nail art?
Right now I use regular polish stripers, additives/glitters and acrylic paints for my nail art. I understand gel paints are great to use on enhancements, but I do more Shellac at the moment so it's not worth investing in if they are not compatible! Can anyone clear that for me?
Thanks!

Not sure about gel paints but I use acrylic paints for design work on normal polish, shellac etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I use a lot of acrylic paint too, but just saw some gorgeous colours in gel paints and started wondering about them, lol! They seem very expensive though. But I did see it mentioning on their site that they could be used on gel polish as well.
So I guess it's not something popular?

Where do you get gel paints from?
How long do you cure them if you do?

I'm sure that once the shellac service is complete you can go over with something like this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

CND used to do the coloured Brisa, but now you have to mix with additives to get effects and colours. I wasn't in the trade when they did them so can't give anymore info sorry. If you already have Brisa it might be better and cheaper to use what you have and create the desired colours. Try contacting your CND trainer I'm sure they would be happy to give you advice. X

CND used to do the coloured Brisa, but now you have to mix with additives to get effects and colours. I wasn't in the trade when they did them so can't give anymore info sorry. If you already have Brisa it might be better and cheaper to use what you have and create the desired colours. Try contacting your CND trainer I'm sure they would be happy to give you advice. X

That does make more sense as I use Brisa lite gel, which I hardly get customers for, and I've got loads of additives so mixing might be a better option!

Thanks guys! I already do mix additives and glitters with my Brisa gel sometimes for certain designs, and use them with Shellac of course too. But those are completely different in consistency and can only be used to an extent. Like you can't use this type of mixture for one stroke or to create multi layered flowers or backgrounds. As this gel paint is exactly that-paint, so it's very thin in consistency and can be used just like acrylic paint, but it doesn't dry until you cure it, so you have unlimited time playing with it until you are happy. And there are tons of gorgeous colours (like metallics and translucent veil like colours) that you can't find in normal acrylic paints :) The designs I've seen done with them are just amazing!
But I get what you are saying-it's a very big investment. Perhaps it's just me getting carried away looking for the next great thing, lol!

Latest posts

Back