anyone used straighteners in usa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
hi guys

was gonna post this in hair, but its not really a hair question is it? so ive opted for chit chat, hope thats ok?
we are going to usa in december and ive just been told that my ghd's wont work in us arggghhh:irked::irked: and i cannot manage two weeks without them, a few people have said just buy cheap pair in walmart whilst your there but
a) their not gonna be vry good if there cheap are they? and
b) we wont be going shopping until 7 days after we get there, so i would be frizzy mess by then lol:p

has anyone been to usa and took some with them that have worked? or any advcie what to do instead

thanks guys

What about gettig a plug adapter? When I was in Amsterdam I bought some things but the plug wont at home so I bought a adapter set i just plug the europe plug in the adapter and the adapter has the the plug for north america and hurray i can use it here!!!

I used my straightners in Vegas last year without any problem, you just need a uk/us adaptor. I know the electric current is different but I didn't run into any problems, just don't think they got as hot.

Hiya, Been to vegas and dominican rep lately...
Vegas - didn't work at all...
Dom rep - light came on but didn't heat enough so the led flashed...
I Took these to Dom rep as a back up and they were fine. :)
Not as smooth finish as the GHD's but much better than warm GHDs...
Buy Nicky Clarke Pro-Ceramic Worldwide Straightener. at Argos.co.uk

A regular travel plug is apparently not powerfull enough to coppe with GHDs as when they heat up so fast the can blow the fuses...
Hair Straighteners and Voltage ConvertersCustomer Advice

It has been brought to our attention that the wattage displayed on some hair straighteners and similar products is not the highest wattage used by them. Due to a number of returned voltage converters with alledged faults we have investigated the above error and found the information below.

We have found that some of the leading straighteners heat up quickly by drawing an initial higher wattage (around 200 watts). This will then in turn blow both our 45 and 100 watt converters even though the straighteners display a 35 or 70 watt rating.

Due to this discovery we now advise customers to:

a) Purchase our Babyliss ceramic dual voltage travel hair straighteners which do not require a voltage converter. These can be found here.

OR

b) Purchase one of our 300 watt voltage converters which can be used with hair straighteners. However even though these are compact, converters of this wattage weight around 3kg. These can be found here. FREE DELIVERY ON THIS CONVERTER

hth.
x

hi tammy, yes id been told that ghds wont work even with travel plug as they just dont get hot enough, and funnily enough i looked at the nicky clarke ones in boots the other day, cos it said worldwide dual voltage on them, but wasnt sure whether the cost would be justified, but as you say, although they mightnd be as good a finish as ghd (but then again what is lol) id rather have something that works than lukewarm ghds,

my mate said after 10 mins she could still put her hands on the plates and they didnt burn, now mine burn after 40 secs here, so imagine that they wouldnt do anything to my hair at all, might invest in the NC ones then

thanks for your help hun

xxxxx

Yup yup, I just bought mine from ebay for about £10 inc postage..
I figured £10 was a small price to pay to control my hair for 2 weeks!!!
It was for my friends wedding. :p

I've got the mark 4 GHD's and came back from Florida last week - used them fine.

I looked in Wallmart for cheap ones, but couldn't find any - cos like a plank didn't take the right plud adaptor, I did find one for about $6 in Wallgreen though, and then they worked just fine.

I think it depends on what version GHD you've got. HTH and have a lovely time xx

my hairdresser told me that ghds do work in the usa but don't get as hot as they do over here - the red light didn't flash! x

I've got the mark 4 GHD's and came back from Florida last week - used them fine.

I looked in Wallmart for cheap ones, but couldn't find any - cos like a plank didn't take the right plud adaptor, I did find one for about $6 in Wallgreen though, and then they worked just fine.

I think it depends on what version GHD you've got. HTH and have a lovely time xx

yeah ive been told the new mark4 have been designed especially to work in us etc cos so many people complained about not being bale to use any of the other versions , but im afraid i cannot afford another £90 right now, especially as my others are still working great!! so i think the NC worldwide use ones will do me, think they are £20 in boots at the mo, will try and get some next week,

thanks for advice girls xxxx

So is this the reason my hairdryer is never as powerful in the caribbean?
Thats one thing I won't bother packing I suppose...I'll have to use the crappy thing they provide in the room:sad:
BTW I use those gas powered straighteners abroad.
5 of the best…portable hair tools
Hmm OH tells me that he doesn't think I can take these now either...aargh thats me in a ponytail for a week then.

Latest posts

Back