apparently they all fell off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitefeather

Reaction score
In my 7 plus years as a tech this has never happened to me. I did a full set on Saturday now client is saying they all fell off on Tuesday. Not wanting to call her a liar (but I am sure this is a 1million to 1 chance of happening) what should I do? Regardless of what I say, client will be adament that it is something I did or didnt do.

Heeeeeeeeeelp!

Check her nails for damage, wipe over them with scrubfresh or NSI Nail pure or acetone and it will show up any damage very quickly. Then you will know if they had some help with the old teeth removal system!!

I had this happen to me a couple of months ago.
Explain the facts, and be firm.
The girl that told me it happened left threatening "to take further action" because I wouldn't give her her money back, I never head from her again.

there is no way on this earth a nail tech with 7 years experience would apply nails that could FALL OFF :eek: in 3/4 days!!!

Agree with above advice, be firm with her and to me it looks like she is after a freebie or her money back.....

hugs :hug:

It sounds to me like a good night out and the tooth system took over:eek:

I could be wrong:lol::lol:

It sounds to me like a good night out and the tooth system took over:eek:

I could be wrong:lol::lol:

Yep, agree with that.:lol: Some clients think we were born yesterday. When are you seeing her?

Thanks for the replies, I was gobsmacked when she text me. I am seeing her on Saturday, its the only available time.

ooooooooh frustrating or what! :mad::irked:

Don't forget to let us know the outcome.:green:

She text? Obviously too scared to talk to you then!

Maybe she got something to hide.... like her teeth removed them?
Just a thought - but if i was the client and they all 'just fell off' after a few days without me knocking/banging/biting them, i would be phoning and wanting to SPEAK to someone to ASK them why.

With you having 7 yrs experience, Id say she was after a freebie myself! xx

I couldn't help but start singing.........

Liar! Liar!... PAnts on fire!!!

Hey Noodle

Thanks for the thread link. Very interesting. At least I am armed for anything on Saturday.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Sounds like shes after a freebie to me too hun!

I once had a visit from a girl I used to go to school with (found out she worked on the same road as my salon) - right when my salon was first open, we never really knew eachother, but I remember her spreading a good few rumours about me back then, and she was a year younger.

Anywhoo - she booked in, I done her nails, and then the next week I was getting my lunch from a shop on our road.....and the woman asked me if my nails 'stay on'? - I was stunned, and replied, 'of course they do' - she told me that a girl (but she wasn't going to name names) had come in saying 'ooooh - dont go to that new nail place, I had mine done and (get this) - THEY ALL FELL OFF IN THE CAR ON THE WAY HOME!!!!!!!!!'

:eek: - now - I REALLY do know that my nails DO NOT fall off.

All I could do was to say to this woman that she could come in, pay and if they all 'fell off' I would refund her. Simple.

Its pathetic how some people want freebies, or think you are stupid enough to believe them! Funny how that girl NEVER came back in!:irked: the cow!

Rant over! :green: Just stay firm when you speak to her, and inform her of your experience! That alone should shut her up!
x

There is a very, very slight possibility that they did lift off without any help. However, as has already been mentioned, a dehydrator will provide the 'evidence'! Any damage to the nail plate will mean there was a little help!

If this is the case, don't give in! If you loose her as a customer, so what?

If it is obvious that they did lift off, question her to find out why (this happened to me once when I had a salon and it turned out she had french polished some furniture and used lots of bees wax and the best prep would not have removed all this grease!) Then maybe negotiate a discount to replace them and offer a free maintenance as long as it is 2 weeks later or less

In my 7 plus years as a tech this has never happened to me. I did a full set on Saturday now client is saying they all fell off on Tuesday. Not wanting to call her a liar (but I am sure this is a 1million to 1 chance of happening) what should I do? Regardless of what I say, client will be adament that it is something I did or didnt do.

Heeeeeeeeeelp!
Some clients like to use this term, not knowing how annoying it is to us
icon_rolleyes.gif

Was she a experienced enhancement wearer? A nail biter?
I guess you did a thorough consult and took into account anything that could cause problems and customized her nails to suit?
Thorough home care and rules of enhancement wearing to the point of boring her?
icon_lol.gif

Are you using a new product?
Think positive (in regards to your last sentence)..we all know nails dont just fall off..especially the whole set in 3 days.
Dont let yourself feel to blame..maybe she is a bit of a picker..had them too long..bashed them about..broke a few and decided to have a good pick:twisted:
Act sweet and proffesional when you see her and express you amazement at what happened..and charge her full whack..if you are totally confident in your work.
If not, trouble shoot with her, keep them short and give her a discount but stress you wont be able to offer that again..in a diplomatic way.
Wiping your scrubfresh or dehydrator over the nail is always a great indicator of clients truthfulness:biggrin:

Dehydrate like mad, and if you have a uv lamp, pop them under. You'll see the telltale signs RIGHT OFF!!

I have had the odd young'un make the same claim. In the beginning, when I was a newbie, I was a sucker. Now I know better and make it clear that I can see if they've been forced off. I don't dust it under the carpet, take blame and do freebies anymore. HECK NO.

HOWEVER.... just in case.

I have had one client - just one - where they really did just 'fall off'.
It was the mom of a long time client of mine who's an absolute doll! She's had heart problems that she's on medication for, she has menopause and also thyroid issues. Apprently she takes over a dozen pills a day.
That's where I lay the blame. I tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get uv gel and gel-resin (aka dips) to stick. The darn things wouldn't stay stuck no matter what I did.
Hers truly did just 'fall off'.
I think it was all her medication that made her natural nails hostile to the products.

She has also tried acrylics elsewhere. Same problems.
AND prior to her heart issues, she never had any lifting apparently.

So... just in case, wait until you see the actual nailplates and any telltale damage.
Then say what needs to be said, IF she's the guilty culprit (that she most likely is).

We just never know.

In my nearly 4 years experience, only 1 client has ever truly had her nails "fall off" in a few days. She suffered with excessively sweaty hands and had warned me that where she went before they fell off v. quickly so I made sure I was really thorough but no, off they came and her nails were smooth, no damage at all.

She went on to have Botox injections in her hands at the hospital which she now has regularly (twice a year I think) and she has returned and now is a regular client and her nails are fab.

But this is honestly the only time I've come across. So there is a very faint chance.

But tbh it's much more likely they came off in her mouth. :lol:

ok...so you do the test and look at the nails and find evidence ...then what ???

you cant just say...well i can see marks on the nails that tell me that they have been pulled off...can you ??

isn't that like saying "your a liar"

how do we put it to them that doesn't sound like we are saying they are a liar...?

when they sit there and are adamant that they have done nothing...what do you say back...what words do you use that are not going to lead to a uncomfortable situation....??

ok...so you do the test and look at the nails and find evidence ...then what ???

you cant just say...well i can see marks on the nails that tell me that they have been pulled off...can you ??

isn't that like saying "your a liar"

how do we put it to them that doesn't sound like we are saying they are a liar...?

when they sit there and are adamant that they have done nothing...what do you say back...what words do you use that are not going to lead to a uncomfortable situation....??
I've come across this situation when I worked in a salon:

Client: I just don't know how this happened, they just pinged off!
Me: Ok let's have a little look at them shall we?

(After accessing the nails I discovered alot of damage to the nail plate, where the product had been forced off.)

Me: Oooh yes, Mrs "X", gosh that must of hurt a bit!
Client: Your telling me! It was quite tender for a few days.
Me: Well, when waring nail enhancements it's so easy to be under the impression that they are totally indestructible. So when we do catch them, because the product adheres to the nail plate that well, it can be quite painful when it's forced away, thus taking layers of the natural nail with it, which is what you can see, here......here....and here.

(Now they begin to understand)

I mean if the product has been forced off for it to damage the nail plate in such a way, there is every possibility that it's going to hurt!

So they didn't fall off did they? (I don't actually say this to the client, but she has already come to this conclusion anyway, so I don't have to.)

What do you reckon?

yup...thats worked on a few....but i still have a few (very few, thank goodness) dye hard..."nope it didn't hurt cos it fell off" clients left....i find myself saying....."Mmm strange really as the others look perfect, no worries I'll soon have them sorted"....and move on.....but i never feel totally convinced that i have made my point. The marks are there...i can see the damage...but they are adamant that it dropped off onto there lap. I ain't bothered about if it did or not...! I KNOW IT DIDNT...its how to make them see that its not down to me but in a non blaming kinda way.

Latest posts

Back