Applying foundation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydollmama

Reaction score
Hi skin geeks,

I was just looking for some advice on the best way to apply foundation. I've always been a clinique user as I love a matte finish, I just wondered is it better to apply with fingers, sponge or other??

I had my makeup done recently when I was bridesmaid and she used her fingers so I've tried to copy the way she did it but I can never get the finish quite right.

Many thanks xxx

I think its best to use a foundation brush or sponge...dry sponge for a more subltle coverage....damp for a more intense look.
The problem with using your fingers is that you have natural oils in and on your fingertips that may possibly be transferred thru your foundation leaving a streaky finish to your application. Just my opinion and experience.
I favour a good foundation brush. Mines a Model Prefer one....nice soft bristles....easy to clean.
HtH's Hun x

Brilliant Jacky, thanks for your advice. I do actually find it goes a bit oily and streaky when I apply it with fingers. Where is the best place to get a good brush or sponge or do they all do much the same job?

I like my brush best, seems to go on much more evenly than a sponge, I also use less. I got mine from sephora they have a website, but I don't know if they ship internationally.

If i want a lighter coverage then i use a cosmetic sponge (can buy from boots, superdrug etc) or if im after a heavier coverage i use my fingers. I dab a bit on cheeks, forehead, nose & chin then blend outwards. Don't put to much on to start with.

Are you using the clinique liquid foundation or the 2 in 1 ? :)

I like using a foundation brush. You seem to use less foundation, and it covers far more evenly. You can really work it into the skin, and the foundation seems to stay put for much longer.

HTH's :green:

Body shop do a foundation brush...it is wicked; much easier to apply and you use lots less foundation too!!! Great!!! :)

I usually use my fingers, but more recently i bought a foundation brush from Avon and was really pleased with it.

As long as your hands are clean, you shouldn't have any problems applying foundation with your fingers, many of the greats have done and continue to apply base in this way. Francois Nars loves to 'work' foundation in with his fingers and I must say I agree with him! Cream-based products respond very well to this method as the combined warmth from the fingers and facial skin helps the finish.

I use a brush to apply and my fingers to blend, I am not a big fan of sponges at all. It is much quicker and easier to apply with a brush than it is with fingers when you've got 3 hours to do 5 faces!

hth

If i want a lighter coverage then i use a cosmetic sponge (can buy from boots, superdrug etc) or if im after a heavier coverage i use my fingers. I dab a bit on cheeks, forehead, nose & chin then blend outwards. Don't put to much on to start with.

Are you using the clinique liquid foundation or the 2 in 1 ? :)

I'm using the clinique superfit, it's one of the oil free liquid foundations.

Thanks everyone, I'm defintely going to try a brush.

Latest posts

Back