Applying gel nails closer to cuticles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmadorney

Reaction score
Hi geeks I’m getting on well with my gel nails but when I look at other ppls pics they look so much more close to the cuticle !! Any tips on getting closer Witt out messing it up ? I’m getting disheartened now but the ppl I have done seem happy and are re booking! Also it seems a lot of ppl are removing the whole cuticle which is surely not good for infections and so on ? Surely I can’t be the only one who don’t feel like they get close enough??

Up until recently, I felt I wasn't getting close enough as well. Although my lines were very neat, I felt like the nails looked like they should after a week or two of wear! I followed this tutorial: which is brilliant. I don't know about your course but mine didn't teach me this method and I find it works so well. There's also a prep video which is well worth a watch!

As for the cuticles, you're only supposed to trim the white (dead) skin. If you're doing this, you're doing all you can (as far as I'm aware anyway). One trick I was taught is to use a lint free wipe and wipe back from the nail, over the finger, when you've scraped the dead skin from the nail plate, which helps to get rid of any dead skin from the nail/under the cuticle. Hope this makes sense!

Up until recently, I felt I wasn't getting close enough as well. Although my lines were very neat, I felt like the nails looked like they should after a week or two of wear! I followed this tutorial: which is brilliant. I don't know about your course but mine didn't teach me this method and I find it works so well. There's also a prep video which is well worth a watch!

As for the cuticles, you're only supposed to trim the white (dead) skin. If you're doing this, you're doing all you can (as far as I'm aware anyway). One trick I was taught is to use a lint free wipe and wipe back from the nail, over the finger, when you've scraped the dead skin from the nail plate, which helps to get rid of any dead skin from the nail/under the cuticle. Hope this makes sense!

Thanku so much xxx

I have a super tiny bit of excess polish and pushes this upwards towards the cuticle with the brush, from underneath. Find it a bit easier to control than having the brush closer to the cuticle.
You can also use a detailer brush to get really close to the cuticle and side walls. I find it helpful to flash cure in between every finger so it doesn’t get a chance to start running out.
It’s so easy to get disheartened, but this video is quite comforting ☺️ A bit less stressful knowing there are so many things that can be perfected along the way. Application doesn’t have to be perfect from the start (although it does speed the process up of course :))
Ps I agree with you with the cuticle work, so just disregard that bit if you will ☺️

Last edited:
I have a super tiny bit of excess polish and pushes this upwards towards the cuticle with the brush, from underneath. Find it a bit easier to control than having the brush closer to the cuticle.
You can also use a detailer brush to get really close to the cuticle and side walls. I find it helpful to flash cure in between every finger so it doesn’t get a chance to start running out.
It’s so easy to get disheartened, but this video is quite comforting [emoji5] A bit less stressful knowing there are so many things that can be perfected along the way. Application doesn’t have to be perfect from the start (although it does speed the process up of course :))
Ps I agree with you with the cuticle work, so just disregard that bit if you will [emoji5]

Thanku this is good to know xx

Hi :), when I apply polish to the cuticle area, I hold my clients skin with my thumb just above their cuticle and pull it back slightly. This allows me to apply a little closer without touching the cuticle and when I release it looks super close. May take a little practice to find the balance without flooding the cuticle. x

Latest posts

Back