Applying gems to kids nails .. can I use glue?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
arghhhh! just had a call from a lady who has booked princess party tomorrow.
when she originally booked she said she didnt want anything too 'jazzy' just polish and glitter top coat to 10 girls fingers and toes
she has now decided she wants something 'more' as she could save the money and paint the nails herself!
havent got time to get anything short notice but i do have some tiny nail art gems
the girls are 6 and am now worrying they're going knock the gems off, just had a little practice and they're sliding about all over my nail - where sill wet where placed, i applied 2 coats polish, cpl gems when still semi wet then topcoated but have just picked them off with no effort at all. i have some nail art glue, would it be acceptable to put a dot in ech nail before sticking gem down?

I don't work on clients yet as i'm still training but my daughter is 6 too. when doing her nails i just use a 1 coat varnish. (As obviously they dont like to sit for too long) sometimes I add a gem here or there using my glitter nail art striper. I just add a dot and add the gem then topcoat. lasts her about a week. don't know if that helps

or do u have any little nail tattoos/transfers? i have some pretty butterfly ones that my daughter also likes that i add a gem to or a bit of glitter to make it a bit more interesting. x

Last edited:
hi
thanks for your reply, have some nail art stripers will try with that then!
im now sitting here with glitter hand tattoo, sparkly nails and nail gems all applied in a different way, lol - have even tried the glue i use for the glitter tattoos as thought hypoallergenic, these gems dont want to stay stuck though still moving around arghhh!
have just found some gel bond but not sure if safe to use really on kiddies nails

Sorry to be the party pooper but are you insured to work with 6 year olds??

Sounds like a nightmare already if the mum is trying to save money by polishing nails herself!!

I personally don't believe adhesive is appropriate for such young children. It needs to be removed with acetone! If you must use stones the fix them with polish under and over. They won't sit still long enough for them to dry anyway!

hi
yes im insured ive been doing princess parties a while, but on such young girls generally just paint the nails, little bit mineral makeup, hair glitter and clip in braids - however she only wanted the nails, so i said id use nice glittery polishes and we agreed fingers and toes now suddenly she wants nail art, as she thinks shes paying too much for something 'essentially she could do' her words, not mine
i now feel under pressure to produce something fantastic that both she and the girls will love, however all i have that would be quick and suitable for this age group are little gems - have lots striper pens, dotting tools etc but from experience not worth going down that route with this age group
thing is she is quite a .. how should i put it 'vocal' lady and if she's not happy i just know she's going to be putting me and my business down, regardless of the fact she changed her mind about what she wanted with one days notice :(

hi
yes im insured ive been doing princess parties a while, but on such young girls generally just paint the nails, little bit mineral makeup, hair glitter and clip in braids - however she only wanted the nails, so i said id use nice glittery polishes and we agreed fingers and toes now suddenly she wants nail art, as she thinks shes paying too much for something 'essentially she could do' her words, not mine
i now feel under pressure to produce something fantastic that both she and the girls will love, however all i have that would be quick and suitable for this age group are little gems - have lots striper pens, dotting tools etc but from experience not worth going down that route with this age group
thing is she is quite a .. how should i put it 'vocal' lady and if she's not happy i just know she's going to be putting me and my business down, regardless of the fact she changed her mind about what she wanted with one days notice :(

Oooooo! Aren't you busy that day!!! LOL

Do you have a pound land or discount store near you? They do a little pack of glitters and gems...they have little stars and hearts etc. I find these perfect for for my daughter.

Also...have you got Konad stamping? Just a simple butterfly stamp works perfectly.

Claires accessories do pretty nail transfers...but are a little bit more pricey.

She should have given you notice. I say go in, do your best and make them happy. I'm sure she will be happy 2. At the end of the day...yes, she could polish their nails...(and have it rub off after half an hour, as she will no doubt be using rubbish varnish, with no technique) but you are also saving her the stress and time of having to do this herself.

Goodluck...I hope it goes well and she backs off.xx

When I apply gems I apply base coat , polish and then top coat and set stones in the top coat, when set I apply more top coat on the gems. And they stick well. I use opi.

I do children's parties too.. File and one coat of paint and add gems with tiny bit of cheap nail glue b4 top coat... I find it last longer with the little ones and never had any problems when the mums come to take the varnish/gems off.. They just use normal varnish remover.
I also get each parent to sign a permission slip b4 I do anything!
Also savers do star nail stickers as well as pound land little kits as some one else said :)
Hth :)

Often when my 9 year old Daughter want nail art, I often do flowers in my dotting pen. It's fast and pretty. The little girls will love it.

Aslong as the parent agress then its fine...

When i do kids nails with gems i paint as normal with base, colourx2 if needed then top coat.
I then put some glue on a spatula then lift gem with tweezers and then dip into the glue then place on nail. I normally apply another coat of top coat over the gem.

Hope this helps x

Sent from my GT-I5801 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back