Applying Shellac or Minx on Enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiegees

Reaction score
Hi

Wow we have opened our nail bar at last! Much stress......much excitement....

Anyhow we have had people asking for shellac on top of their enhancements - can I do this?? If so is it just applied as normal?

I am not qualified in enhancements - just manicure and pedicure.

Also, not been asked this yet, but can you apply minx on enhancements and again would it be applied just the same as normal?

And would removal be ok - I was thinking would the removal techniques for both of these effect the enhancements?

Thanks for your help.

xx

Yes you can apply Shellac over enhancements, although polish will last really on enhancements, we have clients returning after 3 weeks with their polish still perfect. Shellac is more for natural nail clients. Creative do the Shellac colours as normal polish, so if it was the colour they wanted, I'd opt for the polish version. If they do have Shellac over the top, make sure you charge extra them for it! Also if you remove the colour, you'll be exposing the enhancement to remover/acetone.

I never got on with Minx on fingers or over enhancements, I find they crease too much over enhancements, maybe another geek has a trick to it they can share with you!

im sorry to jump on your thread :hug:but im trained in enchancements but mostly acrylic ones and Shellac but i have come across 1 simple problem.
1 of my clients has just 2 nails that are shorter but would like Shellac..

1) do i put a natural tip on and apply Shellac ( which hand on heart i dont want to do that as shellac is a softer gel)
2)do I apply natural tips then acrylic and shellac over them

but my problem is will the 2 fingers stand out???

any advice
thanks Jo

im sorry to jump on your thread :hug:but im trained in enchancements but mostly acrylic ones and Shellac but i have come across 1 simple problem.
1 of my clients has just 2 nails that are shorter but would like Shellac..

1) do i put a natural tip on and apply Shellac ( which hand on heart i dont want to do that as shellac is a softer gel)
2)do I apply natural tips then acrylic and shellac over them

but my problem is will the 2 fingers stand out???

any advice
thanks Jo
You will need to apply a tip or sculpt an enhancement before applying Shellac.
You can not create length with Shellac it just isn't strong enough.

To the op you can apply Shellac over Enhancements you do not need to apply the base coat before the colour.

With l&p the enhancement needs to be finished but not buffed to a shine then wipe away any dust before applying the first colour coat.
With Gel enhancements they must be completely finished including the top coat which you then do not remove the sticky layer before applying the first colour coat.
:hug:

You will need to apply a tip or sculpt an enhancement before applying Shellac.
You can not create length with Shellac it just isn't strong enough.

To the op you can apply Shellac over Enhancements you do not need to apply the base coat before the colour.

With l&p the enhancement needs to be finished but not buffed to a shine then wipe away any dust before applying the first colour coat.
With Gel enhancements they must be completely finished including the top coat which you then do not remove the sticky layer before applying the first colour coat.
:hug:

thank you so much for your quick reply, so can i just put a fasle tip on the nail and just apply shellac over it or does the tip need something harder ???
im really sorry abouy the silly question but Im still new and learning every day
Jo

thank you so much for your quick reply, so can i just put a fasle tip on the nail and just apply shellac over it or does the tip need something harder ???
im really sorry abouy the silly question but Im still new and learning every day
Jo
Shellac isnt designed to extend a nail it is a of fusion of polish and gel so does not have the strength to apply directly over a tip.
You would need to have an enhancement product applied first.

I thought as much, I've done the shellac course and made some notes but cannot seem to find them. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me :)

I thought as much, I've done the shellac course and made some notes but cannot seem to find them. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me :)
Your welcome :hug:

Latest posts

Back