Applying Shellac outdoors?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri Louise

Reaction score
I have a charity day coming up where I have been asked to participate by offering shellac manicures and pedicures throughout the day. I am just coming back into nails after some time away and thought it would be a great way to promote myself and also contribute towards the charity which is an important one to me.

However the organisers have told me if it’s a nice day they would like me outdoors with an outside plug socket available. I’m concerned how this would work with shellac application and whether my products would be “ruined” in the outdoor light/heat. Would a gazebo/canopy type shelter help? Or would this just be best avoided and should I say I need to be indoors?

Advice/help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

My suggestion would be not to do Shellac at all as you will be with each person too long .
If it were me I would offer just nail painting. If possible, take someone else with you too.
I've done these things with students at career fairs. I would take 4 students with me and rotate them - 3 working and 1 taking a break. I then did the chit chat sales bit to the adults with my leaflets.
When you are at these sorts of events people don't want to wait more than 10 mins to get their turn.
Another point is that you should get them to leave their details so you can follow up. Check for contraindications too for each person.

You can give out vouchers to encourage new clients to your salon too.

Forget the feet! Too much to cope with!

Thanks for the advice, we are taking bookings for shellac appointments so I’m not too concerned with people waiting about etc. Already filled most appointments and I’ve left myself plenty of time to ensure the correct service can be carried out. I’m mobile anyway so used to carrying my equipment around and working in different environments. It’s more the outdoor scenario I’m concerned with. Thanks again

I wouldn’t work outdoors. You risk your polish curing in the uv daylight. You wouldn’t be able to fulfill your bookings and you’d have to replaced ruined bottles. Definitely not worth the risk.

I have a charity day coming up where I have been asked to participate by offering shellac manicures and pedicures throughout the day. I am just coming back into nails after some time away and thought it would be a great way to promote myself and also contribute towards the charity which is an important one to me.

However the organisers have told me if it’s a nice day they would like me outdoors with an outside plug socket available. I’m concerned how this would work with shellac application and whether my products would be “ruined” in the outdoor light/heat. Would a gazebo/canopy type shelter help? Or would this just be best avoided and should I say I need to be indoors?

Advice/help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Aah, I see, you're making appointments. Quite different.
I hope you're charging them a decent amount, even if your profits are going to the charity?

I would opt for being indoors - for the same reasons as Pure above has said.

I once had my Shellac base coat cure on my brush while working in a conservatory! Literally cured before my eyes.
No way I would risk doing it outside where its hot/no shade. Xx

Thanks very much! I did think this but wondered if a gazebo type thing would help. Appreciate the wise advice

I would also avoid outdoors as I have experienced this and the direct sun light melted the nail brush and made the polish all clog , not sure if a gazebo would help. Xx

A gazebo doesn't block out 100% of uv rays so would cause the product to cure on the brush. I still had this problem sitting outside in the shade from my house.

Most gel polish brands don’t even reccomend being used next to large windows or too hot of an overhead light.
I don’t think a single gel brand would actually reccomend applying it outdoors with open sunlight everywhere.

Latest posts

Back