Apprentice advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Hello All!

My little salon will celebrate it's 2nd Birthday this year :)

It's been tough and only now do I feel settled and like I'm going to start making some money for me! All the staff I have are self employed on a fixed station rental which includes nice products for them to use, they get advertised on the salons website, 10% commission on retail and other perks....and the team I have now I love and we all get on well...

...The only issue I have is I'm a bit of a control freak, probs as I've spent the most time and energy and money getting it off the ground and nearly everyone is renting part time. Not bringing me in enough to draw a real wage and I can't find new self employed staff for the remaining days- and boy have I been looking!

I have found a few beauty apprentices however from our local college and have been speaking to my accountant and solicitor about working out a monthly payroll and a years contract. I would just need one beauty apprentice 3 days a week to keep building and maintaining our beauty business, and freeing me up to concentrate on my work.

Can any owners give me ANY advice on apprentices that have worked well or not? And if you have been an apprentice did you enjoy it or not? What made it good or bad? Thanks geeks!

You have to offer an apprentice 30 hours a week for as long as the course they are on lasts. 1 day a week is at college you have to pay the hours they attend college.

There is a grant available to some people of £1500 - there are conditions attached to this.

They can't do any treatments on paying clients until they have completed that unit as far as I am aware. And can't be left in the salon un attended.

I am taking on an apprentice on the 17th, however not a beauty apprentice, she is doing a business admin apprentice and covering reception and doing all the admin. She is my sister and is having a tough time after losing her job so she needs an ease back into work.

That's as far as my knowledge goes :)

thanks!

I mentioned the idea to a client today and she said her other half got caught out and had to give the apprentice people a percent of his profits after having an apprentice...hes a builder though? x

I have taken a beauty apprentice on 6 weeks ago. They are not suitable to let loose on the clients. They need lots of practice and experience. I cant let my apprentice alone in a treatment room with my client because their treatments are not worth the price my clients are paying. This week we done calgel for £10 with her to give her some practice and insight.

The rules have changed recently regarding apprentices, so that the employer is now responsible for the apprentices education. Lack of capability is no longer a valid reason for dissmissal.
Colleges will also charge the employer for the course if the apprentice leaves.

After a bad experience I will never train another apprentice again, which is sad for the trade.

I was a apprentership with hairdressing and I loved it.

The salon trained me there way, I was full time and went to college on my day off to learn the therory side.

The rules have changed recently regarding apprentices, so that the employer is now responsible for the apprentices education. Lack of capability is no longer a valid reason for dissmissal.
Colleges will also charge the employer for the course if the apprentice leaves.

After a bad experience I will never train another apprentice again, which is sad for the trade.

Sorry to hear that. I do think the way the system is formed in the uk sets it up for failure. I mean only 16-18 year olds get the most out of doing an apprenticeship, yet most kids that age dont know what they want and a lot of people don't appreciate the worth of education until they get older and mature enough to think about the benefits it reaps. I wish it was easier for older students to get the opportunities of gaining an apprenticeship. Its like the schooling system tells us "here, you failed at school and dont have enough gcses to go to sixth form, why not go to college/ get an apprenticeship to do hairdressing/beauty/etc" almost like its a last resort, and not an art form in its own right.

Hi, sorry to hyjack this thread, I'm coming up to 30yr old an looking to get back into hairdressing, do you think many salons would be happy to take on older apprentices?

Latest posts

Back