Apprentice pay study

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilwantstoknow

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a researcher working on a study examining hairdressing apprentice pay. I'm looking for participants (completely confidential - not collecting identifiable personal or salon information) - apprentices, employers, trainers. Can you answer some questions for me about experiences of hiring/being an apprentice? In particular, I'd like to know about pay rates, training hours, awareness of NMW and pay rates for apprentices. I've been told different things about apprentices being allowed training time, breaks etc. But ultimately, anything you can tell me would be much appreciated. You can send me a private message if you don't want to post a reponse. The aim of my research is to try and understand experiences of apprentice pay from both the employer/salon and apprentice side. THANK YOU so much! Your help is greatly appreciated.

All the pay and age structures are on the .gov website

All the info we get comes from online it's very easy to find, we all search for it (employers) the laws are laws from apprentice specific laws to wage laws to health and safety laws, its the same for every employer and apprentice so I'm not sure what you aim to get out of this post, what is the "experience" you wish to know more about?

All the info we get comes from online it's very easy to find, we all search for it (employers) the laws are laws from apprentice specific laws to wage laws to health and safety laws, its the same for every employer and apprentice so I'm not sure what you aim to get out of this post, what is the "experience" you wish to know more about?

Thank you Surf Girl. I am asking because there is evidence to suggest that some employers are paying apprentices below NMW. I have even spoken to apprentices myself who are being paid less than they should. So I am trying to figure out why this is the case - i.e. is it deliberate or not?. Is it lack of knowledge (i.e. not being aware of changes to NMW)? Is because the salon's accountant has made a mistake and is not up to date with the law? Is it simply because, when asked in previous surveys how much they pay apprentices, employers have made mistakes about this (even though they are actually paying the right amount!)? Or do some employers pay less because they have managed to get away with it?

Cool :)

Ok so the last apprentice I employed was on 2.73 an hour because it was an apprentice rate applicable to her age, if I employ a regular person over 18 I would have to pay 6.50 (ish) not 100% what current NMW is but I would google it and pay said amount.

When you say employers paying below nmw do you mean the 6.50 (ish) amount or the 2.73 amount because apprentices are usually on the latter to they qualify up a level (dependant on age of course)

Latest posts

Back