Apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k11nails

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I have a nail salon im curious to know how many days training in the salon on adverage you give the apprentice before letting them lose on the customers...

For them to be insured I would have said that they would need to attend a professional training course first (regardless of what training you have given them yourself :0 )

Thanks for the reply but insurance is not my concern... my concern is how many times on adverage over how many days or weeks do you have to show them techniques before they can work on customers...many people on here must have had an apprentice and know this answer...

Sorry just bumping as I would also be interested in opinions too. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks for the reply but insurance is not my concern... my concern is how many times on adverage over how many days or weeks do you have to show them techniques before they can work on customers...many people on here must have had an apprentice and know this answer...

That reply was actually a little bit rude and unnecessary.

In order for us to advise you properly, it would be helpful to know a little bit more information. What systems is the apprenctice using, what qualifications does she already have, how long has she been with you. How do you feel about her skills. If it is your salon it is your reputation and you are the best one to make that decision if you aren't willing to open up a bit and give us the whole story instead of being snappy when someone tries to help.

Surely having a salon you should know???

She needs to be trained first and insured before she can be "let loose" on clients regardless if you are teaching her techniques or not, if you are teaching her without her having prior qualifications,are you qualified in nails and to teach?

I'd say that as long as your "apprentice" is fully qualified (trained by a reputable company) and insured to work on the public, all you need to do is show her the ropes (how you'd personally like her to do things as it's your salon) and you're set. If she knows the ins and outs of nails but just wants to know YOUR way of doing it as the owner you're fine with an induction type thing. Xx

still not one good reply to my question.... i am not asking for people to look into my business and worry about my insurance i dont drive a car without insurance and i certainley wouldent let my staff opperate without insurance

My question was in your salons not mine how many days weeks months training do you give to an apprentice... if you send them on training first or to collage at the same time thats fine but i would expect that in the answer about your salons.. and not re-direct the question at my salon

Good luck getting an answer with that attitude!

still not one good reply to my question.... i am not asking for people to look into my business and worry about my insurance i dont drive a car without insurance and i certainley wouldent let my staff opperate without insurance

My question was in your salons not mine how many days weeks months training do you give to an apprentice... if you send them on training first or to collage at the same time thats fine but i would expect that in the answer about your salons.. and not re-direct the question at my salon

I don't think any if these responses where unreasonable at all, I think the reason your not getting ithe response you desire is because your not making it clear how experienced your apprentice is.

Am I correct in guessing that she is a total beginner and is being trained from scratch??

If so the only guide lines I can give you if that of college timings. When girls are doing vtct in enhancements they are expected to attend for 18 weeks @ 3 hr lessons and to practice at least twice that amount during the week.

To be honest I can take people months, if not years to be fantastic techs.

If your apprentice is qualified in nails as Emily has already stated then surely a couple of days at the most to show your employee your way of doing things

Im not even sure why I'm replying but hey ho I'll give it a go !!

At the end of the day if your apprentice has been on an approved training course & is practising like crazy & her work looks good (& the actual nails stay on the clients without lifting blah blah), then she is ready.

In the early days it is more about Quality rather quantity, so any clients would need to be made aware that she is newly trained, so probably slower & that your prices reflect that for the time being.

Its the same with newly qualified hairdressers, so with nails we shouldnt expect anything different...

I'm a hairdresser but I think this isn't just for nails just about training, and tell me if I'm wrong but what u personaly think your meaning is how ling at trainung would u let your apprentice have models as such in salon but on discoured prices as they are trainung. If thus us the cases we let apprentuces practice what theyare learning at college at that given time and use model clients in salon but letting them know there in trauning and need to practice on the real thing and getting used to been in a salon and i would say as soon as they've been shown how to do what they are learning in college let them have models in the salon to practice xx (sorry baffled on, and I got what u was meaning and didn't find u rude at all u was just wanting a clear answer to your question) xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using SalonGeek

I have a girl who works for me in my salon and she is just about finished her NVQ level 3. I basically have not allowed her to perform any treatments until she has passed and has the certificate for that module. I then know she is a) fully trained and qualified and b) covered on insurance. I then test her out myself, see her work on a couple of friends and basically be guided by her as to when she feels confident enough to get going on paying clients (within reason on this time scale of course!) I am lucky in that she is fab and her work is immaculate, but I would put some of the responsibility onto your trainee (once she is fully qualified) to tell you she is good to go.

Im not being rude please understand that i have an expanding group of nail salons... i aim to make apprentiships a big part of it and want to invest a lot of time and money in the future generation i know this is a skill that will survive on the hight streets throught the tougth economic climate...

Im going to come back in five years and answer this myself...ill be able to say iv had a big amount of aprrentices in my nail salons we can usually get them working at a discounted rate after four weeks then after six months they qualifiy...

If you are a mechanic you get your own ramp and work by yourself after 3 years

if your a surgeon you wont touch anyone for five years

the nail industry does not seam to have this there is one day courses one week 3 month six years its compleatly messed up with no governing

the actuall good replies in this thread wont just benifit me they will also benifit anybody searching in month,s to come trying to find out how long there going to be trained before they can work on customers

so if people can say how long it took them before they worked on the genral public that would be great

I have a girl who works for me in my salon and she is just about finished her NVQ level 3. I basically have not allowed her to perform any treatments until she has passed and has the certificate for that module. I then know she is a) fully trained and qualified and b) covered on insurance. I then test her out myself, see her work on a couple of friends and basically be guided by her as to when she feels confident enough to get going on paying clients (within reason on this time scale of course!) I am lucky in that she is fab and her work is immaculate, but I would put some of the responsibility onto your trainee (once she is fully qualified) to tell you she is good to go.

Thats a very good answer thanks for that:)

And for all the people that keep saying about insurance it is possible to insure an un-qualified or apprentice nail technician ... trust me iv done this and i have the certificates in black and white...

Im not being rude please understand that i have an expanding group of nail salons... i aim to make apprentiships a big part of it and want to invest a lot of time and money in the future generation i know this is a skill that will survive on the hight streets throught the tougth economic climate...

Im going to come back in five years and answer this myself...ill be able to say iv had a big amount of aprrentices in my nail salons we can usually get them working at a discounted rate after four weeks then after six months they qualifiy...

the nail industry does not seam to have this there is one day courses one week 3 month six years its compleatly messed up with no governing

the actuall good replies in this thread wont just benifit me they will also benifit anybody searching in month,s to come trying to find out how long there going to be trained before they can work on customers

so if people can say how long it took them before they worked on the genral public that would be great

I think if you had explained a thus in the begining you would of recieved a much more welcome response! I see that you have not been on here long, salon geek is full of some of the most fantastic people in our trade who offer their time for free to help others.

So basically am I correct in thinking you need a time scale to offer training courses for people with no qualifications or experience???

And for all the people that keep saying about insurance it is possible to insure an un-qualified or apprentice nail technician ... trust me iv done this and i have the certificates in black and white...

I don't think think anyone was questioning if you had insurance or not, just that most insurance companies give you an idea of there standards so you could possibly work out how ling from them? Does that make sense?

You might want to learn some people skills and manners if you want to be a success in business. We are only trying to help and half a story is no good.

Good luck with your businesses.

Latest posts

Back