Apprenticeship advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywoo

Reaction score
I've been trying to recruit two level 2 beauty apprentices for the last 12 months but I'm having difficulty getting colleges to send me CVs, I'm now on my third college! The journey always starts with a rep visiting my salon and telling me how pleased they are to have a new business as they are always so short of places. I always state very clearly that as I enjoy teaching, the student must be prepared to learn which I ensure runs concurrently with their NVQ content together with a great deal of added clinical anatomy and plenty of practise models. Yet nothing.

I have had one young lady, whom I started with a couple of days work experience, who then informed me she didn't want to work evenings or weekends as this interfered with her social life and 22 hours per week was too much (when this was the minimum requirement by the college). Even the tempting salary and commission left her uninterested as she informed me her mother pays for everything!

Can anyone recommend a London based college before I give up completely!?

Sorry I can't help with recommending but what is wrong with these colleges and students?? Not many places accept apprentices now, they should be chewing your arm off for the opportunity!!

I've been trying to recruit two level 2 beauty apprentices for the last 12 months but I'm having difficulty getting colleges to send me CVs, I'm now on my third college! The journey always starts with a rep visiting my salon and telling me how pleased they are to have a new business as they are always so short of places. I always state very clearly that as I enjoy teaching, the student must be prepared to learn which I ensure runs concurrently with their NVQ content together with a great deal of added clinical anatomy and plenty of practise models. Yet nothing.

I have had one young lady, whom I started with a couple of days work experience, who then informed me she didn't want to work evenings or weekends as this interfered with her social life and 22 hours per week was too much (when this was the minimum requirement by the college). Even the tempting salary and commission left her uninterested as she informed me her mother pays for everything!

Can anyone recommend a London based college before I give up completely!?

I live in London and would of given my right arm for an apprenticeship when I did my level 2, as I was 28 I think I was maybe too old? Even now I browse for apprenticeships to do my level 3 and trainee roles but they are hard to come by, so it upsets me when I hear of people wasting them. What about London school of bT of you could Try lewisham and southwark college (Lesoco) which is where I studied.

A

I gave the last college three weeks notice and asked them to set up an interview day where they could send as many/all the girls who were interested for an interview. Five days before this I contacted the college to ask them for the applicants names and times, to which I received no reply. After the interview date I contacted them via email and telephone and only received a reponse four days later. I'm so dismayed.

I've also tried young women on work experience from the job centre to recruit a receptionist but I've had people who don't know the alphabet properly so can't file, who can't speak politely or correctly and have no concept of punctuality, to name but a few ineptitudes - and some of them had degrees!!!. I find that so many young women (particularly those still living at home) have very low levels of interest or competence.

Maybe it's just time to give up I don't know what more I can do, it's a shame as I really enjoy teaching young people. I shall waddle off and stop being such a grumpy old woman!

I was 23 when I began looking for work in this industry and would have jumped at an opportunity like the one you described. If the colleges won't co-operate then how about offering an entry level position to someone who's just newly qualified? In my experience that's the stage of the career where you most need someone to take a chance on you and take you under their wing to help iron out any weak points post college.

I gave the last college three weeks notice and asked them to set up an interview day where they could send as many/all the girls who were interested for an interview. Five days before this I contacted the college to ask them for the applicants names and times, to which I received no reply. After the interview date I contacted them via email and telephone and only received a reponse four days later. I'm so dismayed.

I've also tried young women on work experience from the job centre to recruit a receptionist but I've had people who don't know the alphabet properly so can't file, who can't speak politely or correctly and have no concept of punctuality, to name but a few ineptitudes - and some of them had degrees!!!. I find that so many young women (particularly those still living at home) have very low levels of interest or competence.

Maybe it's just time to give up I don't know what more I can do, it's a shame as I really enjoy teaching young people. I shall waddle off and stop being such a grumpy old woman!

I say Give up and recruit someone who is newish to the industry but already qualified in their own right! A trainee ship if you like, they will actually want to be there- they will be more dedicated less likely to get bored and far more loyal!

Even now I browse for apprenticeships to do my level 3 and trainee roles but they are hard to come by...

Does this mean you are looking for a level 3 position for yourself? If so, might you be interested in sending me your CV/information if I PM you my contact details?

Does this mean you are looking for a level 3 position for yourself? If so, might you be interested in sending me your CV/information if I PM you my contact details?

Yes I would definitely be interested, please do PM me.

Oh thank HEAVENS!!! I honestly thought that it was just the USA that was full of idiots, now I don't feel so alone, knowing that they really are everywhere, lol!

Now, for the important question...What's a level 1,2,3,etc...?

Here in Kentucky, to be a licensed cosmetologist, you have to have 1800 clock hours (minimum of 300 hrs at school before you can work on clients, and in the school I went to, 600 before chemical services(color, perm, relaxer...))at an accredited beauty school (1500 I think for Barbering, they are totally seperate here), take your apprentice board exams (pass written and practical with 70+ on all aspects), work under a master cosmetologist for a minimum of 6 months before you go take your master license exam. After that, you are a master of cosmetology and can work anywhere in the state.

If you choose to be an instructor, it's an additional year at master level, before you go back to school for 1000 more hours and and yet another apprentice exam, then after a year another master exam.

And if you want to open a school, it's minimum of 3yrs (I think) of instructor before you can go to school to be a school, then ....YUP MORE exams, lol!

There are also seperate licenses for nail techs (600 hrs before exams), and esthetics (1000 hrs before exams)

So with that all said, how does the UK's system of levels compare? I mean like what's what? I have been reading, and you guys don't have to have formal instruction for nail techs, or waxing, correct? Here you do, and my state is VERY strict on the rules.

Latest posts

Back