Apprenticeship advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitzngems

Gemstone
Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new to this! Was looking for a little advice? I have employed my first apprentice last year. She was working for a family member and they had a row so she stopped her apprenticeship and left her to find another one without paying her. So I took her on and she has been great until today she has emailed me and said she will be renting a room back at the salon that got rid of her so she can earn more money on the day I allow to have off! So she has posted all over social media she will be offering eyelash extensions at another salon on a Thursday on a rent a room basis! Is she allowed to do this? She is 16 years old I’m just worried it will effect my buisness and she will start taking customers there on a Thursday and the other salon is advertising her! Any information would be appreciated! I’ve tried calling the college for advice but they haven’t got back to me xx

My initial thought is 'unqualified and not insured' - probably not a threat but you do need to have a serious conversation with her - does she have an apprenticeship contract with you? Are you happy with her on every other level? Does she deserve a pay rise? I suspect this will not effect your business but it is a very definite conflict of interest and I would not put up with it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply sorry would you put up with it or not? I’ve had a word and said I’m not happy with it but she has gone ahead and done it. I have a contract with her too xx

I would NOT put up with it - sorry that was a miss type. Look at your contract closely - what does it say about conflicts of interest?

My own feeling is that this is gross misconduct. Setting up on a self employment basis and advertising services which undermine your business also undermines the relationship between you as employer and employee.

Your salon insurance might cover legal advice, so give them a ring and ask for advice.

It's quite difficult to get rid of an apprentice. You need to follow a dismissal procedure and give her a chance to put her side. I wouldn't rely on the college for advice they don't know employment law well enough.

I wouldn't keep her either. This isn't the attitude and you can't really train attitude. Her heart's with the other salon and her family want her back there. She just wanted a chance to prove that she didn't need to be grateful for the opportunity that they gave her. Now she is showing you how ungrateful she is that you took her on after she'd walked out on her apprenticeship.

Get rid

Thank you that’s what I thought I will get the contract out tomorrow and I have the college tutor coming to see me aswel. I agree I think her loyalties are elsewhere. Thank you for your advice xx

My own feeling is that this is gross misconduct. Setting up on a self employment basis and advertising services which undermine your business also undermines the relationship between you as employer and employee.

Your salon insurance might cover legal advice, so give them a ring and ask for advice.

It's quite difficult to get rid of an apprentice. You need to follow a dismissal procedure and give her a chance to put her side. I wouldn't rely on the college for advice they don't know employment law well enough.

I wouldn't keep her either. This isn't the attitude and you can't really train attitude. Her heart's with the other salon and her family want her back there. She just wanted a chance to prove that she didn't need to be grateful for the opportunity that they gave her. Now she is showing you how ungrateful she is that you took her on after she'd walked out on her apprenticeship.

Get rid

Thank you for your advice I will do that tomorrow

Latest posts

Back