Apprenticeship: Does this sound 'right' to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
Hey guys, need your help and advice with something please :D

My daughter is coming to the end of her first year apprenticeship; she has been advised (along with the others at the same stage as her) that they have a choice to make regarding their 3rd year (for NVQ 3).

The choices are:
1) Continue to do the 3rd year to gain NVQ 3 and barbering in the salon, be on the floor as an NVQ 2 stylist but on apprentice wages (ie no change in pay)
OR
2) Continue to work in the salon, on the floor as an NVQ 2 stylist (and on higher wages) but pay for their own NVQ 3 (approx £5000 incl barbering) and go to college on one of their days off.

My first reaction wasn't good! However, on discussing it more would I be right in thinking that option 1 would be the best one to choose?

All advice greatly appreciated, thanks :green:

Both sound fair. Even though she is NVQ qualified, she will be finding her feet. She still will have to be closely monitored and have all her work checked. She will also be unable to charge a high price. Ultimately, this costs the salon.

Now, however, once an apprentice is 19yrs and past the first year of their apprenticeship, they are entitled to min. wage.

I personally do not fund L3. I pay min. wage plus commission. They pay for their own L3.

When I was at college, if you are up to 19 you get your college funded by government. And because it is a government funded training scheme, you are not entitled to minimum wage. However, when you turn 20 you have to be paid full wage. So. Basically if she is over 20 she is due to be paid minimum wage. Well that is how it was when I was at college. Look it up online but that was the legal side of it when I was at college.

I'd encourage her to do her level 3. I found it beneficial and if she looks for another job they will want her to have done it. X

Donna explained it better than me. :)

What's one more year on apprentice wages over -£5000? She will still get the opportunity to work as a stylist and she'll still be learning in that first year. If I had that opportunity I would have jumped at that.

She's decided to continue with the NVQ3 in the salon for her final year :green:

Apparently the law has changed for this year's apprentices (ie from September 2011), they won't get a choice and have to do the 3 year apprenticeship.

Thanks for your advice, I really do appreciate your feedback.

Hi I know this is late and she has already decided what to do but I done my level 3 when I was 20 and didn't have to pay for the course! I was employed as a stylist and done it on my day off, i went self employed half way through the course and that didn't make a difference! From what I know none of the girls on the nvq level 3 course had to pay the fee, it was government funded!? x

The Government no longer fund L3 courses. I think you can get money taken off if you are on a low income.
At the moment, depending on the college, they are between £500-£900.

Latest posts

Back