Approaching a hair salon to work as a nail tech - advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a mobile nail salon in Scotland.

Today, I had a client in a rather affluent area (Stirling) who suggested I contact the manager of the hair salon she goes to - they had recently thought of offering nail services to their clients (particularly during long treatments like highlighting or colouring, or sessions where there are long periods spent under the dryer) but she has never acted on it. The manager is a good frient of my client.

I would like to contact this salon about offering my services, perhaps on Friday and Saturday each week. I wanted to speak to you all first about how things are done so I don't sound like a total idiot:

Should I ask about renting a space, or would they accept a percentage of profit, or ???

What would a fair rent be? How would I ascertain this?

Is it good form to promote my services for outside the salon (as it's a hair salon and has no other nail services)?

Any other advice from people who do this already?

I've never considered working in a salon before as I didn't know if I'd be able to do that AND keep my mobile business, which I really enjoy! Approaching hair salons isn't something I'd thought of, but my client says that she thinks it would be fantastic, and definately something she would go for as she usually doesn't have time for multiple appointments. I figured the Fri/Sat combo would be profitable as people like their nails done before going out on the weekend, and I am usually quite quiet on those days anyway.

Thanks in advance!!!
Dawn

PS I posted this on the BeautyTech board too, but I definately wanted to hear Geek's perspective on this one too!!

Well the first thing you do is contact this lady and ask for a meeting....you have nothing to lose and nor does she:)
She probably has her own ideas about how this might work but will also be open to discussion and suggestion from you as SHE has never done this before either!
I think once you've had a trawl through the threads regarding renting space and percentages / commissions you will have a better idea of how YOU would like to work so you can go along to the meeting open to discussion but already having a feel for what would work best for YOU.

I think it's a fab idea and you will have access to all those existing clientele right on your doorstep!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

i agree with fiona here....look up all threads about working as a nail tech in salons.....
phone the lady up as you have nothing to lose nor does she ....let us know how it goes hun xx

Make a list of all your questions and have a chat with the manager of the salon.

I started in a hair salon 3 weeks ago (was home based). 30/70 split and I supply my own products. It is slowly picking up well...down side, now more clinets are taking an interest she wants me at the salon more, which I can't do I still have children to pick up and a home customer base).

Manicures have proved popular whilst ladies are sitting waiting for their colourt to take. If you can put the hours in...it can be a winner.

Good luck.:hug:

Hi all,

I have just been offered a space in a hair salon, Fri & Sat's.

I would also make a contract for the salon owner to sign, if the salon owner doesn't do one, so that you both know wear you stand.

Also ask does the salon do your advert's, business cards for you.

I will need to do my own business cards and advertising, but the rent is very good.

Hope this helps

I started in a new salon mid October. I am getting 60/40 split. I buy my own products, except for the manicure supplies, pedicure supplies and colored polish :)

hiyah i work in a hairdressers renting a table.i absolutely love it.i pay a percentage 25%.which is very fair in my eyes.are you going to continue too stay mobile also? i have a few i do mobile which i always have done but the majority is salon based.i think you should bite the bullet and go for it ! i was very nervous going for my first salon job but im still there two years down the line going from strength to strength! good luck :lol:x

Hi,
I rent 2 rooms over a hair salon, I have been there 12 months. It has been a great start for me, but I am leaving. It had been a nail & beauty salon about 5 years ago,but then nothing. So I have had a tough time building clients up. The hairdressers seems to be going downhill, and my trade has dropped off with theirs. So I am getting out in a couple of weeks, going mobile. I have all my client records most seem very happy that I will come to their homes. I was very lucky, I only have paid 15% to the salon owner. But remember there were days when no one came in, imagine sitting waiting for a day when only one appointment is booked in, "a file & polish" it was very frustrating.
I think in an already busy salon you could do very well, go in for a low percentage for the 1st couple of months and then increase if they will let you. Good luck x

I currently rent a space out of a salon. I love it! It offers a lot of opportunity for new clientle. As far as rent, I'd rent if I actually had a station to work out of, otherwise maybe do a % payment.

Ex: If you are given a space that's yours for two days a week, (includes a mani table, I'd ask what the monthly rate would be for full time use, then divide it down to a daily rate and ask to pay that.

If you are given a place to store your things and your station would be mobile (manis and pedis at other peoples stations or while someone is getting their hair done), I'd do a % payment. But make it a low %; technically you'd be doing them more of a favor with this option. They aren't loosing any space and they are offering thier clientele more options.

Either way, don't become an employee in this situation. I think it works out better when you're "employing yourself".

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back