Are all hair dyes created equal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pretty Geeky

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a regular in this site but only on the beauty side and I need the advice if hair geeks.

As a teenager and right into my late 20's I dyed and bleached my hair all colours both professionally and myself at home. I stopped having my hair coloured about 18 months ago but now at the grand old age of 33 (WTF?!) I've got some greys coming through.

My problem is that after reading a few terrifying stories about PPD and other chemicals causing sudden horrific allergic reactions in people and all sorts of cancers i need to know if the products used in salons are made up the same as home dyes? I'm a big scaredy and I get totally pulled in by these stories (so much so that I've stopped reading the newspapers!!)

So, my freakiness aside, are there dangers with salon, professionally done hair colouring?

Thanks!! PGx

I just want to reassure you that by having a patch test always lets us know if you do have any allergies, PPD is a everyday materials, syntheic dyes colours yes and in professional and home ranges.

PPD is moslty affluent in people that have had black henna allergic reactions as it contains a posion plant extract that once its in your system, you may have reactions with any PPD containing products. There are vegatble dyes and other alternatives. But to be fair its pretty rare to have a reaction, most of the people that have them are from box dyes and they havent patch tested. So always patch test. Another thing is profesional tints are much more safer and softer than box dyes. So please dont panic you'll most likey be fine! xoxo

Latest posts

Back