Are all hairdressers covered to do extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sally86

Reaction score
Hi, are all hairdressers free to do extensions or they still have to do a course for extensions regardless of them being hairdressers before offering them?
Tia

To be fully insured, you’ll need to complete a separate extensions course unless they were covered in your (level 3) training.

Your insurance will only cover the units you‘ve passed an assessment on. For instance, not all hairdressers will have completed training on Perming or Chemical Straightening either. It depends on what course options you’ve taken.

On my level 3, you could choose either advanced perming or hair extensions, so I did advanced perming. You can pick up a short course in hair extensions much more easily afterwards, but I’ve not seen any advanced perming courses offered as a separate course.

Thank you ever so much for your answer & help! ❤️

Thank you ever so much for your answer & help! ❤
Just realised you’re from around Bristol. I did my initial hairdressing training at City of Bristol college. :)

Thank you once again!
Was wondering as many hairdressers seems to offer hair extensions, but I don't feel like they all know much about extensions (not questioning at all their job as hairdressers), so just wanted to confirm are they free to offer extensions just because they are hairdressers without doing a course for extensions, like if you are a hairdresser are you free to go on and offer extensions without any additional courses etc.

Just to go back to my own experience, there were only two of us that opted to do advanced perming, everyone else chose the hair extensions unit. So chances are, most hairdressers completing level 3 courses have completed a hair extensions unit as part of their course.

Hi i am a senior level 3 hairdresser & also have a qualification in hair extensions &i teach hair extensions at our training academy. You do not have to be a hairdresser to be an extension technician. Hair extensions are an advanced course and completely separate to hairdressing. You must be a certified holder for hair extensions to be covered by your insurance. You will be able to apply hair extensions without a qualification but you would not be covered if someone decided to claim off you. I pay a small amount extra for my insurance which completely covers me for all aspects. If you would like information on how to get a qualification in hair extensions id be happy to go through it with you. Hope this helps 😁

Latest posts

Back