Are most girls breaking the law working from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant advise on your specific query..but someone from the council came to check out my flat. Only thing they cared about was making sure I hadn't built on an extra room to what was already there as that would mean paying extra council tax. They came in, looked and seemed to be annoyed that it had wasted their time as I'm sure they get bonuses for catching people out.

I've been following this thread closely, I have a home salon and to be completely honest. I didn't even think! I checked with my council but thankfully my area does not require a special treatment license. And as I have not made any alterations to the building, in regards to a separate entrance etc. I do not need planning permission.
I just sent an email to my council so there was an aire of anonymity incase it was to blow up in my face.

In regards to your situation, personally I would go by the book (because it's certainly my luck) I'd get the wrong person asking the right questions - if you see what I mean? Good luck! X

Yes definitely, I will. I'll send an email to just to show proof if it ever came to anything, as the person on the end of the phone may give a different answer from another person at the council. And I'll take it from there.

I've also looked through my tenancy agreement and it doesn't say anything re doing business from the property but I will also ask them if it would be a problem (just to be on the safe side, as I've probable misunderstood some kind of terms used).

Thanks all so much for your replies.

Im a hairdresser and I work from my home. This is what I did.
1. Rang council for advice on who I needed to speak to.
2. Sent a very detailed email to relevant person in council explaining what I wanted to do etc included info about parking, how many clients per day, how many days per wk etc.
3. Got reply back saying because my house is still "predominantly still a dwelling" it was ok. If anything changes I need to tell them. They were very laid back about it all really.
4. Had to change my house insurance so they know I work from home and detailed what it is I do. Cost me more than usual but I would rather do it properly.

That's it basically.
I have been working from home for 10mths now, and I LOVE it! :)

Ah thank you. What I may do is ask my landlord but state that if it increases his insurance then I'll pay it.

Ah thank you. What I may do is ask my landlord but state that if it increases his insurance then I'll pay it.

The insurance insnt a problem. I think landlords are more worried about other implications such as mortgage lenders etc.

Amazing how different councils have different rules! I had to have a special treatment licence & crb check for waxing, but not for nails / hair etc. i didnt need planning permission to convert garage but if i wanted to put a seperate entrance in i would have. If i stayed mobile i didnt need any licences. Def think its worth going by the book now especially as they know your there! X

Isn't it weird that we can go into people's homes and do any treatment we want with no control over health & safety/license issues within that room/area? Madness.

Isn't it weird that we can go into people's homes and do any treatment we want with no control over health & safety/license issues within that room/area? Madness.

Sure is! I agree.

Jut received an email back from my local council (wiltshire) and have been advised that no special treatment licence is needed to cover semi permanent eyelash extensions so that's that one checked.
They did however tell me to ask the council tax dept to see if business rates will apply. I have done this also but doubt I will as I am planning on using the kids study to set equipment up in when a client comes and store all away afterwards.
The last thing on my list is to ask my landlord 😩

Good luck!

I have been checking up on this today and have been told by my council it's now an inviromental Heath that you need to ring which I did they sent me an application and said if I did any treatments on the list I would have to apply and they said they would come and check me out . Spray tanning was on it as was massage and some other treatments. They told me you need to apply whether you are mobile or salon based.

As a salon owner I have to have a licence, i do believe that if we have a salon and have to have one then it should be the same for anyone working from home also. Every council is different though and different rules apply. It really needs to be more regulated :confused:

I emailed my council yesterday as I'm buying a house and hoping to run a business from there. Never have I come across a more useless bunch of people. They can't confirm any details and there website, well it's just shocking! According to their website you only need a licence for electrylosis (spelling?) and tattooing, neither of which I will be offering. Hopefully I will get a more definitive response today. Ugh! Stupid councils, you'd think I was the first person to ever run a nail business from home! Good luck to everyone who's also setting up from home x

Edit.

So I have to pay the council £85 to confirm that I'm not building a new room or extension to house my business. Even though I've already given them all the information they require. Ugh!

Last edited:
Working from home I needed nothing. Same in salon - as long as no ear piercing, electrolysis or sharps. It totally depends on your council.

As Maisey mouse says, it definitely should be more regulated!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I emailed my council yesterday as I'm buying a house and hoping to run a business from there. Never have I come across a more useless bunch of people. They can't confirm any details and there website, well it's just shocking! According to their website you only need a licence for electrylosis (spelling?) and tattooing, neither of which I will be offering. Hopefully I will get a more definitive response today. Ugh! Stupid councils, you'd think I was the first person to ever run a nail business from home! Good luck to everyone who's also setting up from home x

Make sure you get written permission from your mortgage company unless your lucky enough to own outright :)

Make sure you get written permission from your mortgage company unless your lucky enough to own outright :)

Already sorted, but thanks for the heads up :)

The insurance insnt a problem. I think landlords are more worried about other implications such as mortgage lenders etc.

I am a landlord and my insurance does state that tenants are not to run business's from my properties. Yes I could get a policy which does agree to it but that would cost me more money and I'm not prepared to do that (why should I?) also all my short hold tenancy agreements state that my tenants cannot work from home and as a landlord I wouldn't want them too as it would be more wear & tear on my properties.

It's really inconsistent and definitely depends on where you are based in the UK. Where I am (Cambridge) I only need a special treatment licence for acupuncture, not for massage. When I called the council re working from home they were very vague and non-committal, then said that 'It's probably OK as long as it's OK with your mortgage company' :rolleyes:

I currently rent a room above a hair salon. I am looking at working from he in the not too distant future. I have been in touch with the council and heather environmental health or planning department were interested. As long as I am not causing noise, parking problems or doing electrolysis then I am fine to go ahead xx

Latest posts

Back