Are nail comps fixed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much, very nice of you. I will consider it!:hug:

Hang on Mum...Tantrum was in work. Im not the type of person to be bullied away!!

Izzidoll (thank you) you are right, that is what i meant i word things awful. was going to explain it further when i realised how it looked but did'nt bother when i saw the nasty replies.

my point was, last year there was a photo re-used by another girl. Lots of us had seen it before, it was talked about but nobody but me was willing to say anything. again this year lots of whispering, giving out etc. i bluntly just come out with things, yep word it wrong but least im straightforward.
i had no plan of entering anyway, novelty is gone plus i'm still recovering from a car crash so im not up to much, day to day work is hard enough. I did'nt say this either as i thought why should i!!

thanks to everyone for replies, sorry i offended some but i am annoyed with the just plain nasty replies, even if i was being a cow there is absolutely no need for people to gang up like kids in a schoolyard. we're all grown ups here!
i can totally understand why people are nervous to post questions up here, i've seen the replies some people get and i pity them.

I definitely never set out to offend or annoy any of you on here, and i wont hold any of your responses against you.

hey, it livened up the forum lol (im joking!!)

I did put a 'smilie' there to show it wasn't meant literally!

It has been an interesting thread and I hope people have learnt from it. I also hope that those that see inconsistencies will report them not just feel bitter about them

and there was me having a tantrum :lol:

The judging is done blind just like salon nails. When the pieces are entered, usually the head judge adds a number to the entry and also for which competition it is entered (i.e. hand painted novice or master). They they make sure that there are no other identification marks.

For example:
viktoria_prihodjko_1_600w.jpg

So all the judges see the the work and they should have no idea whose it is. Having said that - with hand painting or mixed media each artist tends to have a style which could be recognised by experienced judges - but again their reputation is on the line to judge honestly.

To answer the second part of your question - it depends on the competition. For the competition in question, I read the rules and it's clear that this has to be unique work and never entered in any other competition. This means if the poster can prove that the Academy held an internal competition on the same theme and entered the winning work in the October comp - then that competitor could be barred. Other comps such as Nailympics do allow work to be entered that has been entered in other comps : "All entries must be new to the Nailympics and can only be entered one time at this competition. "

Personally I think no judge should have any close relationship to any competitor. In a perfect world they would all be international judges - but few organizers would pay for the travel etc. In Russia especially there is some cheating as the judges are often the owners of distribution companies and their techs are competitors. For that reason - Iryna will never judge in certain Russian competitions.

===

Yes, the original poster could have been clearer and did manage to raise a few hackles. I have since looked on the Facebook page she refers to and I understand her concerns - several people commented that on Academy appears to have have prior notice of the nail art theme (since April), while the official announcement was made 2 weeks ago. As the comp is on 1st week October - from my perspective that would seem to have given the others an unfair advantage - IF THIS SITUATION IS AS APPEARS.

In any case, announcing a box theme just 2 months ahead seems short notice from what I've seen at other comps. Given a box of tips can take 50 to 150 hours to create (or more) - it can be challenging then to find the time to do good work.

Having said that - even comp organizers are human! ;-) Mistakes happen sometimes as it's a lot of work to organize. We attended a show last year - and sponsored two competitors at quite a cost - only to find out that a) the organizer didn't have a clue what mixed media was so people were entering 6" high dragons on tips and b) the rules in Russian were different to the rules in the other european language. We were seriously unimpressed! (However, one of our sponsored competitors won anyway because her work was outstanding - but the other girl saw her marks penalised by the mistakes in the rules).

This is really great... I like this a lot. Some people realy have a big ideas.

Well Ive just had a look on the facebook group, and it does seem so unfair to those who never had as long to do their entries, compared to the pre warned peeps, imo if those that had the pre warning, either shouldn't be allowed to enter the comp/entries, or just (an inconvienience I know, sp ) but change the theme, KEEP IT FAIR FOR ALL ! and may the best entry win :hug:

So could some clarify for me, say if I entered a competion, say boxed or photograpic catergory, and didn't place.........would that mean I wouldn't be able to use that entry again for another competition ? never entered any yet, but just curious:)

.would that mean I wouldn't be able to use that entry again for another competition ?

It would depend on the rules... some say new to this comp, some say completely new. As a general advice always make sure you read the rules and understand them...

Well Ive just had a look on the facebook group, and it does seem so unfair to those who never had as long to do their entries, compared to the pre warned peeps, imo if those that had the pre warning, either shouldn't be allowed to enter the comp/entries, or just (an inconvienience I know, sp ) but change the theme, KEEP IT FAIR FOR ALL ! and may the best entry win :hug:

So could some clarify for me, say if I entered a competion, say boxed or photograpic catergory, and didn't place.........would that mean I wouldn't be able to use that entry again for another competition ? never entered any yet, but just curious:)

It would depend on the rules for each comp. Many say the the entry must be 'new' or some such term that means original to that comp. Others don't specify that so, theoretically, you could enter your design in several. I must admit I do see some things that have been in other comps. But if there is no rule to say otherwise, why not?? Worth double checking with the organisers though as you don't want to get disqualified.

Piece of advise though, if you do enter anything, make the most of the feedback from the judges as that should help you improve and have a better chance next time. (Good judges always give constructive criticism! Don't know why they judge if they don't!)

Out of interest..are there ever any competitors that dont actually finish the whole set of nails off?

With regards to the live competitions rather than the boxed art ones, I think that if you have trained with someone who then judges your nails they are bound to score you higher as you are are producing the nails that they have trained you to produce iyswim. Even though they are judging blind it is always going to be that way.

Each judge only judges certain aspects of the nail and there can be 4 or 5 judges for each competition judging each set of nails so that would be hard to fix!

To Anna, yes I had a slight hiccup earlier in the year with timings and didn't finish the polished hand! I lost a ton of marks so lesson learnt the next day I bought in my own timer :lol:

As someone who only competed for the first time earlier in the year I would say I learnt so much not only from doing the comps but also the judges feedback was invaluable and I know my nails are better now than they were before. I cannot wait to do it again!!

With regards to the live competitions rather than the boxed art ones, I think that if you have trained with someone who then judges your nails they are bound to score you higher as you are are producing the nails that they have trained you to produce iyswim. Even though they are judging blind it is always going to be that way.

No this is not 'bound' to happen at all.

Although this can happen, imagine the hoo-hah if a competitor who was trained by judge took a prize. The head judge would look hard at the scoresheets and compare that judges marks for that competitor against others.

Ideally, all judges should be independent and none of their students be competitors. Alternatively, the judge should inform the head judge that this relationship exists otherwise if the competitor does well it can throw suspicion on the judge.

Each judge only judges certain aspects of the nail and there can be 4 or 5 judges for each competition judging each set of nails so that would be hard to fix!

Again that is not completely correct. It depends on the competition. Some competitions allocate certain judging aspects to each judge - so for example if there are 10 judging categories for pink and white, 5 judges would each get two categories. This approach is done in the NailPro comps in the US to save time as they have a lot of competitors. Personally, I don't like it and prefer the system where each judge does judge all 10 categories.

Overall please remember that in nearly all cases, judges are chosen because they have developed a strong reputation over time. Any judge caught favoring a competitor would seriously damage that reputation (and believe me, at the top of this business everyone knows everyone and word would spread like wildfire).

I'm not saying that cheating doesn't happen - but those that try it almost always get found out.

I thought competing was suppose to be fun and enjoyable, isn't everyone a winner just for the fact they have entered and had a go, how many techs are there that don't think they are good enough to enter, think about it,.. if you have had the guts to enter then in my eye's you are a winner as you have more guts than me hehe:)

Out of interest..are there ever any competitors that dont actually finish the whole set of nails off?

yep ,.... me .... my first comp i ever entered i didnt even get time to buff and only got one coat of red polish on the painted hand so they looked pink!!...lol

i dont think you every really finish properly as you can always do something.... tidy up polish make sure the nails are really high shined, keep buffing etc...

the last comp i entered was excel '10 and i had about 20 mins left to finish file my p&w hand.... then disaster of disasters i only went and chipped the index... so the rest of the comp... i thought sod it... i wasnt bothered about getting first but nearer to placing the better... (4 yrs out the loop i just didnt wanna come last!) i just thought i have to make do with whats left and get as much done as poss... and sheer fluke...... but my average scores and consistancey saved my bacon... i came 4th and was v chuffed

I think that the comps i've entered have always been v well organised and judging has always been blind... none of my mentors have ever been any of my comp judges, so i know its not bias!

Jess x

Latest posts

Back