Are NSS nail techs any good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
OK, I know this is a very controversial subject with many geeks so apologies if I offend anyone. I have a couple of questions/points thats been nigling me so would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me..please.

First of all, NNS - are they all bad? I understand that many of them have poor santitation issues which is unacceptable and some use MMA products although I think this is becoming less. The other issue I hear about is that NSS use drills/efiles which damage natural nails, but we all know that hand files can do just as much damage. Whilst I have never been to an NSS, I have seen nails that are done by these so called NSS salons and they are pretty darn good. My point is that, are we just - dare I say it - envious/jealous of these places because they seem to have the majority of market share and taken most of the business or is there more to it. Because if its just the sanitation issue, its a bit like going on holiday to Thailand for example, and eating at the local food stalls. We all know that food stalls aren't the most hygenic of places but we still go there because the food is good. Same applies to restaurants here.

Secondly, it appears that Vietnamese nail techs are associated with NSS. I am Vietnamese and have only just entered the nail industry by having had training and practised on family and friends and not yet 'worked' on the public. I am worried that when I do start, I will be branded as another 'Vietnamese nail tech' from NSS. Whilst I have every intentions to properly carry out sanitation/client forms etc, when people hear that I'm Vietnamese will they assume that I will ruin their nails? Because from my understanding, Vietnamese people are very skillful with craft making skills (which nails is and I'm yet to find out whether I have inherited this gene), they all can't be bad and that some are good nail techs?

Sorry for waffling on. I would really appreciate your views.

Trang x

I agree that this is a VERY controversial subject, but I have come to believe that NSS have nothing to rave about in the nail stakes.
I agree that some nails look good at first glance-but take a closer look and wait a while for the nail growth to come through and awful lifgting appears. Then......wait to see the after effects on the natural nail plate and all becomes clear. From my experience of knowing people that go to these places their nail beds are TRASHED, yes hand files can do just as much damage but electric files in the wrong hands can do worse and they really do!!!!
Personally, I think that even though you are Vietnamese, people will be able to tell that you are practising good hygiene and sanitation and people do really know when they get a good set as opposed to a reasonable set that they put up with because they are cheaper.
Dont worry, go put your training to good use and time will tell that your flare for nails and proper training will shine through.
Just my opinions-hth.
x

What an exhaustive stereotype to have to live with. I think the environment in which you perform your services will have the most influence on how potential clients judge your ability, if that makes sense. If you work in a NSS or NSS-looking salon, then they'll probably be more inclined to be wary. But if you work in a nice, clean place that is well-ventilated and thoughtfully decorated, they'll probably feel more comfortable. If you're going mobile, I don't think you'll have issues with judgement before getting services, especially as you are going to be thorough and clean in your procedures. I'm with you; I think that consumers are growing more aware and are able to tell a good set of nails when they see/get one, no matter who it's from.

I've discussed this somewhat with a colleague, who is an Italian-American CND educator, and she sees a rise in the number of discount salons that are switching over from generic l&p systems to the GOOD stuff--Retention and OPI and the like. And yet, they are still able to maintain a relatively large profit margin compared to their "American" counterparts. I think part of this has to do with the difference in overhead costs or running a full-service booth rental salon vs. a commission nails-only salon, which is what most Viet and Korean salons are in America.

Good luck with your nails, girl!

OK, I know this is a very controversial subject with many geeks so apologies if I offend anyone. I have a couple of questions/points thats been nigling me so would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me..please.

First of all, NNS - are they all bad? I understand that many of them have poor santitation issues which is unacceptable and some use MMA products although I think this is becoming less. The other issue I hear about is that NSS use drills/efiles which damage natural nails, but we all know that hand files can do just as much damage. Whilst I have never been to an NSS, I have seen nails that are done by these so called NSS salons and they are pretty darn good. My point is that, are we just - dare I say it - envious/jealous of these places because they seem to have the majority of market share and taken most of the business or is there more to it. Because if its just the sanitation issue, its a bit like going on holiday to Thailand for example, and eating at the local food stalls. We all know that food stalls aren't the most hygenic of places but we still go there because the food is good. Same applies to restaurants here.

Secondly, it appears that Vietnamese nail techs are associated with NSS. I am Vietnamese and have only just entered the nail industry by having had training and practised on family and friends and not yet 'worked' on the public. I am worried that when I do start, I will be branded as another 'Vietnamese nail tech' from NSS. Whilst I have every intentions to properly carry out sanitation/client forms etc, when people hear that I'm Vietnamese will they assume that I will ruin their nails? Because from my understanding, Vietnamese people are very skillful with craft making skills (which nails is and I'm yet to find out whether I have inherited this gene), they all can't be bad and that some are good nail techs?

Sorry for waffling on. I would really appreciate your views.

Trang x

Hi Trang,

I would say, you have nothing to worry about, you are going about things the correct way and so before you know it your reputation and standards will speak for themselves.

It shouldn't be a discriminatory industry, but all about the work that you produce.

There are top techs from all part of the world, some people forget that. I would say go for it hun. :hug:

IMO The term NSS can apply to anyone and has NOTHING to do with race or country....and even NSS salons can produce some fantastic looking nails...but NSS doesn't mean ugly nails...it means Non Standard Salons.

I have seen some of the most amazing work done by people from all over the world on the net, pics, mags etc.

I don't think its right to put the term NSS and Vietnamese (or any other race) in the same sentence unless you know for sure that their methods, hygiene and products are of a NSS standard.

Trang, sweet,

The only person I ever let touch my nails besides myself and my friend Mimi was a gent named Don, who was Vietnamese.

He was and probably still is the most skillful, careful, gentle nail tech in Boca Raton FL. My hands were always a major mess and he always knew what to do and how to work with my flat, wide nailbeds. It is because of him I do not cannabilise myself to the point of bleeding anymore. It is also because of him I got back into the business after 20 odd years away as a professional.

You will always find people looking for something to bitch and moan about, and sadly ignorant, judgemental people will use race or religion.

You do what you feel in your heart you want to do and don't you ever EVER let anyone put you down cos of what you look like, or where you come from. YOU are better than that, cream always rises to the top.

Good luck
Nancy :)

Thank you for your kind words.

Bagpuss, the reason that I have put NSS/vietnamese in the same sentence is that this is the message that I'm getting from reading past posts regarding NSS. I am just glad that there are people out there who recognise and give credit to good work.

I hope to start 'working' soon and hope that people won't be judging my nails by the way I look.

x

Thank you for your kind words.

Bagpuss, the reason that I have put NSS/vietnamese in the same sentence is that this is the message that I'm getting from reading past posts regarding NSS. I am just glad that there are people out there who recognise and give credit to good work.

I hope to start 'working' soon and hope that people won't be judging my nails by the way I look.

x

Hi huni,
people are going to judge your nails by the way you do them and how you take care of them xxxx
I know plenty of good and even great vietnamese nail technicians and by the sounds of it you will be one of them too.
NSS means non standard salon, never mind the race, I have seen some pretty horrid stuff going on by non vietnamese techs.
Uphold standards, get the best training and let your work speak for itself.
Good luck xxxx

I'm with the girls for the definititon of NSS, I dont believe it has anything to do with nationality and will not judge salons from looking at them alone. I believe most damaged is caused by untrained techs, be it with their work by not rebalancing only soaking off and re-applying, over filling etc, etc. or with their un-educated minds telling clients that acrylic damages nails, UV gels BURN :mad: or nails need to breathe :zzz:!

There is clearly another education method taught in Asia in regards to application of nails and that does not make a salon non-standard it's more un-sanitary, lack of client care and lack of education that would deem a salon NSS I doubt Trang that that applies to you.

Good Luck and remember Knowledge is Power. If someone wants to judge a book by its cover let them go somewhere else, it will be their loss!

The answer is simple - No, they are not all bad, its the non standard salons that are bad, not the Vietnamese or Asian nail techs.

I personally think that there are many things to be learnt from the Vietnamese and Asians. Their application skills are excellent - application meaning the part when the product touches the nail to form an enhancement.
They are accurate, fast and most of the time needs minimal filing and buffing. They have a very good eye for balance and art.

Hygiene, prep, health and safety however as we know, is a different issue. That is something they must learn to improve on.

Trang, you need not worry about being stereotyped.
Your reputation is only as good as your work.
If you can show you do spanking good nails and is genuinely concerned about the health of your client's nails, then the clients will see it and accept you as who you are and not what you are.

On this website, there are always threads and posts talking about the Asian and their nails, sometimes you may come across some very ignorant comments which may upset you or kill your confidence. But you must learn to ignore them and just quietly get on with what you want to do.

To better yourself is most certainly the best way to win all around.

Last edited:
The answer is simple - No, they are not all bad, its the non standard salons that are bad, not the Vietnamese or Asian nail techs.

I personally think that there are many things to be learnt from the Vietnamese and Asians. Their application skills are excellent - application meaning the part when the product touches the nail to form an enhancement.
They are accurate, fast and most of the time needs minimal filing and buffing. They have a very good eye for balance and art.

Hygiene, prep, health and safety however as we know, is a different issue. That is something they must learn to improve on.

If you can show you do spanking good nails and is genuinely concerned about the health of your client's nails, then the clients will see it and accept you as who you are and not what you are.

On this website, there are always threads and posts talking about the Asian and their nails, sometimes you may come across some very ignorant comments which may upset you or kill your confidence. But you must learn to ignore them and just quietly get on with what you want to do.

This is a great post. And I agree completely with it.

Oh Anna sometimes you must feel like:grr::grr::grr::smack:
NSS has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with your race or anything like that.
There are some unbelievably talented techs all over the world. NSS = NON STANDARD SALON end of story.
Here's a few articles that may help...
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/12765-sausage-factory-shortcutting.html
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/31808-nss-exactly-what-does-mean.html
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2698-mma.html
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/40668-nail-manufacturers-council-mma-info.html
http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/27014-mma-ema-fda.html

Latest posts

Back