Are parafin dips sanitary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could anyone explain how applying wax with bandages works? I'd like to have it as a treatment when I start up, but I don't think I'll have the space - or money! - for the type you can put your hand into.

Have seen that Ellison's have them that just heat the wax in a tub for around the £50/60 mark, or a Wax Master start-up set for £65 (pre VAT) that comes with a kilo of wax, brush, booties and mittens, liners and the heater, so it seemed like a relatively inexpensive way of adding it to my repetoire (sp?)

Also, if you have the type of warmer that warms the wax in a tub, can you scrape out those tubs to put a different brand of wax in? Can't tell from the Ellisons pic whether the Wax Master one (p15) is the tub sort or not. I'd like to maintain some kind of continuity and use the Pinnacle Dew wax, but I know this is the tub-less sort...

Lol x

Nikki said:
I could not see how you could spread anything as the the wax seals around the hand/foot immediately, so thanks again :D

Just picking up on this it made me think again though - the wax only seals around the hand or foot once removed and it starts setting doesnt it - whilst the hands or feet are emersed, they are sitting in liquid so it makes me wonder - just pondering as you do... ;)

As Melissa said... They are perfectly sanitary and considered 'self disinfecting' as long as you dont throw the used wax back into the pot.

Saying that... I recently learned that a few states in the US have prohibited dipping hands and feet in because of sanitation concerns. This isnt the first time staes in the US have passed regulations not based on reality though (the old TB killing phenol disinfectants come to mind).

Hope this helps :D

I have been tought a gauze method at college apparently it is used at the virgin VIE salons.... You take a small bowl and line with clingwrap then dip a piece of gauze as found in a 1st aid kit into the parafin bath... then place this in the bowl so you dont get it everywhere and then wrap around the hand/foot... Aparantly better for the foot where it could be quite awkward to put foot into bath??? Still I like the brush method as this is how I was originally taught and have practiced with as I have bought a small parrafin pot...

Does any one know how often the wax should be changed. I only use mine once or twice a month and cant afford to keep throwing out perfectly good wax. Also, Recently heated up my P.wax and found something that looked a bit like mould lurking at the bottom, needless to say I chucked it out and started again any one know what it was, because if pathogens cant breed in p wax surely it couldnt have been mould.

Hi all! Glad to be of help!! :D

I have my clients dip their hands in- of course, they can't have any open cuts/sores.. (we are regulated and licensed to work on intact, healthy skin and nails only-- LOVE that rule!!!)

For feet - we have a unit in our spa treatment room where we perform pedicures- and since it's easier (and cheaper!;) ) to have one unit- it's on a stand in the corner of the room.. so we can't and don't have clients dip their feet in....

we use a disposable plastic cup, scoop up some paraffin, pour it in a bag, and then place their foot in the bag & wrap with warm towels.

I always throw away used paraffin- you should not reuse it.

When you see sediment at the bottom- it can be fuzzy, grey, black, or any color..

it's not mold--- it is a 'sediment'--- basically DUST/debris that has gotten in the paraffin unit (when the cover is off, or from using a ladle [as some may use]-- and the ladle has dust/debris on it..).

All you need to do is shut off the paraffin unit until the entire block hardens. Then turn the unit on again, for a few minutes or however long it takes to soften JUST the outer barrier---

then you slide the whole block out. I use a disinfected plastic CND spatula to scrape off that sediment.. then you place the paraffin block back in the unit.

We also have 3 small units for different types of paraffin--

one is for chocolate paraffin (we offer Chocolate Luxury Spa Pedicures)

one is for peppermint paraffin (our Winter Peppermint Spa Pedicure)

and one is for pumpkin spice paraffin (our Apple Cinnamon Spa Pedicure)

the smaller units heat quickly and hold a smaller amount-- easier to clean out and change the paraffin if we choose..

Hope this helps!

Always,

MissNailPro said:

Hope this helps!

Always,

These sound devine x x

Little Angel said:
hi

you can get some elastic bandages that you dip then wrap
but as long as you have sanitized first i don't see a problem.

Do you mean bandages that they use in a hospital?

MissNailPro said:

I have my clients dip their hands in- of course, they can't have any open cuts/sores.. (we are regulated and licensed to work on intact, healthy skin and nails only-- LOVE that rule!!!)

For feet - we have a unit in our spa treatment room where we perform pedicures- and since it's easier (and cheaper!;) ) to have one unit- it's on a stand in the corner of the room.. so we can't and don't have clients dip their feet in....

we use a disposable plastic cup, scoop up some paraffin, pour it in a bag, and then place their foot in the bag & wrap with warm towels.

I always throw away used paraffin- you should not reuse it.

When you see sediment at the bottom- it can be fuzzy, grey, black, or any color..

it's not mold--- it is a 'sediment'--- basically DUST/debris that has gotten in the paraffin unit (when the cover is off, or from using a ladle [as some may use]-- and the ladle has dust/debris on it..).

All you need to do is shut off the paraffin unit until the entire block hardens. Then turn the unit on again, for a few minutes or however long it takes to soften JUST the outer barrier---

then you slide the whole block out. I use a disinfected plastic CND spatula to scrape off that sediment.. then you place the paraffin block back in the unit.

the smaller units heat quickly and hold a smaller amount-- easier to clean out and change the paraffin if we choose..

Hope this helps!

Always,
thanks for this, its a great help, and will save me a fortune on wax

Nikki said:
I was so pleased to read this thread as I have just bought a paraffin wax system!!!!

Thanks MissNailPro for clarifying what I thought....I could not see how you could spread anything as the the wax seals around the hand/foot immediately, so thanks again :D

Indeed... thanks MissNailPro :) My uncertainties are now cleared up :)

*Thank you Melissa - was wondering as to what to do with "used wax" as well:) Especially since it takes about (6) blocks to fill the units each that I have and at $3-$4 per block that really adds up :eek:

Top tips. Lovin your work MissNailPro :)

I use paraffin wax strips from beauty express. They are disposable and fairly cheap. You dip them in the wax and then wrap around. It also means you can use them on akward areas such as elbows or knees.

Lilac

They now have came out with single serving parafin wax applications that when you are ready, you place the single application in the warmer, it melts in about 10 mins, then dip the clients hands, turn off the warmer and dispose of the disposable container and wax.. simple ,clean for those who worry about such and I think pretty easy.

and one is for pumpkin spice paraffin (our Apple Cinnamon Spa Pedicure)quote]

Miss NailPro - do you buy your wax in these "flavours" or do you have a "special recipe".

They sound sooo nice.

Thanks for your help :hug:

I'm liking to idea of brushing the wax on. Where can i get the brushes from on line, and at a cheap enough price? Also, i am looking for the tubs of paraffin that go into small wax heaters.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back