Are parafin dips sanitary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
Do you think that parafin dip are sanitary? Is it enough to have your client wash up before this kind of treatment and the spay their hands or feet with disinfectant? Or is the parafin heater a great place for germs to multilply? Is there any other method of applying the parafin that can be considered more sanitary?

Prionace said:
Do you think that parafin dip are sanitary? Is it enough to have your client wash up before this kind of treatment and the spay their hands or feet with disinfectant? Or is the parafin heater a great place for germs to multilply? Is there any other method of applying the parafin that can be considered more sanitary?
I brush on the wax but thats because my maching is too small to put a hand or a foot in, as long as your have sanitised before dipping or brushing there shoud be do risk...I dont know of any other method, but either is fine by me

May i ask how do you brush on the parafin, does it harden on the brush?

hi

you can get some elastic bandages that you dip then wrap
but as long as you have sanitized first i don't see a problem.

Prionace said:
May i ask how do you brush on the parafin, does it harden on the brush?

Well yes it does, but once you dip on your next application it softens again in the warm wax....once finished with I pack it away...I prefer this system personally as I can have 3 differing tubs of wax which is great, as some clients prefer sented and some dont...

My brush is by a company called Hive Beauty...

I'm glad you started this thread Pri. I don't agree with dipping people's hands and feet in the paraffin warmer. This is my personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone who does it. I honestly don't know if it is ok to do so, even if the hands/feet have been cleansed/sanitized. However, I use paraffin bags/liners, and take a small tea cup to pour paraffin into the bags, and then put clients hands/feet into the bags. This way, the client gets the most out of the paraffin, and there is no mess, just slide the bag off and throw it away. I usually leave the tea cup in the warmer so that it is always there.

Little Angel said:
hi

you can get some elastic bandages that you dip then wrap
but as long as you have sanitized first i don't see a problem.
What about cleaning these up - would you just chuck into the washing machine (just wondered if this would clog up and ruin your machine?)

hi

baloo!

i would say let it go cold then it should just pick off.

Little Angel said:
hi

baloo!

i would say let it go cold then it should just pick off.

Right. Think I might give that a bash - do you not rate those paraffin wrap strips I mentioned recently?

hi

Well i think they may work out a little exi you gadget queen you! ;) Only trying to look for the economical angle! :cool:

mgloverfam said:
I'm glad you started this thread Pri. I don't agree with dipping people's hands and feet in the paraffin warmer. This is my personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone who does it. I honestly don't know if it is ok to do so, even if the hands/feet have been cleansed/sanitized. However, I use paraffin bags/liners, and take a small tea cup to pour paraffin into the bags, and then put clients hands/feet into the bags. This way, the client gets the most out of the paraffin, and there is no mess, just slide the bag off and throw it away. I usually leave the tea cup in the warmer so that it is always there.

Sorry to question you hun, why do you think this is not sanitary?...(and I am not having a pop at you honestly I am just curious)....

I have complete faith in my sanitising products and as long as the customer has no contra-indications then either dipping or brushing is fine, and won't spread any pathogens onto the next client....

I like your idea but, I cant image how I would be able pour wax into a floppy mit without covering myself or the client in wax lol

I have parafin bath and use it sometimes, more in the winter.
Clients have mentioned that they like the dipping better as it feels warmer and they like the whole dipping experience better.

Now, I do check for any open cuts (which would be contradiction) and ask clients to wash their hands before.

The wax that surrounds the skin -hardens, so I don't see anything unsanitary about that.

I don't use parafin on the feet though..it just *seems* (sorry) little gross to me. :rolleyes:
And there is more people that have fungus on the feet that they do on hands.

Fab Freak said:
Sorry to question you hun, why do you think this is not sanitary?...(and I am not having a pop at you honestly I am just curious)....

I have complete faith in my sanitising products and as long as the customer has no contra-indications then either dipping or brushing is fine, and won't spread any pathogens onto the next client....

I like your idea but, I cant image how I would be able pour wax into a floppy mit without covering myself or the client in wax lol
Hi! First, I didn't say that I thought it was unsanitary. I said that I honestly didn't know if it was or wasn't.
Second I didn't say pour paraffin into "MITTS". I said to pour then into the plastic liners/bags that you use to put the hands into once they've been dipped, and then you put on the mitts. I'm glad you have faith in your sanitizing procedures. This gives your clients great peice of mind. I have faith in mine as well. I was only sharing my technique for the procedure. I hope this clears things up!

mgloverfam said:
Hi! First, I didn't say that I thought it was unsanitary. I said that I honestly didn't know if it was or wasn't.
Second I didn't say pour paraffin into "MITTS". I said to pour then into the plastic liners/bags that you use to put the hands into once they've been dipped, and then you put on the mitts. I'm glad you have faith in your sanitizing procedures. This gives your clients great peice of mind. I have faith in mine as well. I was only sharing my technique for the procedure. I hope this clears things up!

Hi there, me again.

Sorry I should have said it implied to me :o and not you said, as in you don't agree with doing this? and I wondered why....I am too nosey for my own good.

..and again my poor english i meant plastic liners/bags mitts etc...not towelling - that would have been a ridculous thought...and I was purely intersted in your techniques because I am mobile and I would like to try it and didn't understand how you get the wax in the liner without spilling....and was hopeing for some advice or hints...i have obviously offended you and for that I am sorry... :cry:

Like i said above I was just curious....hope this clears up any misunderstandings... :D

I have some info from a friend of mine--just wanted to share:

-----------------------------------------------

"I took a class on paraffin - Dead skin, hair, sweat, etc CANNOT be deposited
into a paraffin unit. The wax in there is about 130 degrees, your body is
98.6 or so. When you dip a body part into the unit, the paraffin will
INSTANTLY seal on your skin. It is a fallacy that even dirty skin can
contaminate the unit.

If there is stuff in the unit it is by products of the paraffin. It is
normal to have that in there. And paraffin is an inert object - it cannot
breed bacteria!"

Deb Blowars
www.artistictrendssalon.com
-----------------------------------------------

This info is from the official website of WR Medical- manufacturers of the Therabath Paraffin Unit (which I use):

"Are paraffin treatments sanitary?"

Yes. The TherabathPRO has been tested by university labs, who have certified that paraffin is a “hostile environment” for bacteria and fungi. In addition, when you dip, the paraffin forms an “instant barrier” between the skin and paraffin in the bath. A certificate of testing is available in Adobe Acrobat format (click here for the .pdf file), or from WR Medical Electronics Co. If your TherabathPRO is for public use, we recommend the use of Sanitizing Spray.

the website information is found at www.therabathpro.com
----------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!

Fab Freak said:
Hi there, me again.

Sorry I should have said it implied to me :o and not you said, as in you don't agree with doing this? and I wondered why....I am too nosey for my own good.

..and again my poor english i meant plastic liners/bags mitts etc...not towelling - that would have been a ridculous thought...and I was purely intersted in your techniques because I am mobile and I would like to try it and didn't understand how you get the wax in the liner without spilling....and was hopeing for some advice or hints...i have obviously offended you and for that I am sorry... :cry:

Like i said above I was just curious....hope this clears up any misunderstandings... :D
AWWWWW!!! *Hugs* *Kisses*
Don't cry! LOL!! It's no big deal! I just wanted you to understand what I was saying.
Take the plastic bag, (do you all have "paraffin liners" in UK?),
Take a small tea or coffee cup, and get some paraffin from the warmer with the cup.
Pour the paraffin into the bag, and slide clients hands into the bag.
Tie the bag at the wrist, but no to tight! LOL!
Sqeeze the bag to ensure that the hands are completely coated.
Then place the bagged hands into the mitts, and let the client enjoy!
Once the paraffin has cooled, take off the mitts.
Slide the plastic bag off of the hands, and throw away!
I'm not saying that it's unsanitary to do otherwise, but it gives that client a peice of mind to know that they aren't dipping their hands and feet in something that other people have dipped their hands and feet in. My clients love this method. Now give me a hug!!

mgloverfam said:
AWWWWW!!! *Hugs* *Kisses*
Don't cry! LOL!! It's no big deal! I just wanted you to understand what I was saying.
Take the plastic bag, (do you all have "paraffin liners" in UK?),
Take a small tea or coffee cup, and get some paraffin from the warmer with the cup.
Pour the paraffin into the bag, and slide clients hands into the bag.
Tie the bag at the wrist, but no to tight! LOL!
Sqeeze the bag to ensure that the hands are completely coated.
Then place the bagged hands into the mitts, and let the client enjoy!
Once the paraffin has cooled, take off the mitts.
Slide the plastic bag off of the hands, and throw away!
I'm not saying that it's unsanitary to do otherwise, but it gives that client a peice of mind to know that they aren't dipping their hands and feet in something that other people have dipped their hands and feet in. My clients love this method. Now give me a hug!!

oh Diya you big softy you... :o :green: I will try that out i think it sounds like a cool :cool: style

Thanks MissNailPro, I kind of wondered if bacteria could or not breed in conditions such a parafin bath, my gess would be no, but still it is so much nicer to hear from a person how really knows.

I was so pleased to read this thread as I have just bought a paraffin wax system!!!!

Thanks MissNailPro for clarifying what I thought....I could not see how you could spread anything as the the wax seals around the hand/foot immediately, so thanks again :D

the only good thing i was taught on vtct beauty... how to cut out paraffin wax.... take a little dish, line with a nice freezer bag , using a soup ladle, deposit wax from heater into dish, brush on a thick layer and by placing another bag under clients hand cupping it with your other hand.... wrap hand in bag and place inside mittens... simple ... dish is clean and wax will peel off.. cannot believe folk place hands and feet directly into heater!!!!! this way it wont be too hot either but hot enough!!!

Latest posts

Back