Are short beauty courses worth it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsay McKinnon

Reaction score
Hi

I'm really interested in doing some short beauty courses as my dream is to open a salon one day. I'm new to the industry and have been wanting to get into beauty for a long time but due to family commitments it has just been financially viable.

Any ones opinions would be greatly appreciated

The problem with short courses is there isn't time to learn everything in depth and there's nobody on hand to give you advice after the course has finished. Even "full time" college courses aren't actually full time these days - usually approx 15 hours per week, or even evenings and you could probably get the 19+ loan for a level 3 course (not available for level 2 though unfortunately). A college course would probably be your most affordable option to get a recognised qualification in beauty therapy because although private academies may get you trained faster, they seem to cost more. Also, not all "accredited" courses are insurable with the major insurance companies.

I think some short courses can be useful if you already have the basics under your belt but I personally don’t think them sufficient as a starting point.
The best place is your local college NVQ2 in Beauty therapy which can be full or part time to suit your needs. The government also offer adult loans now if you need help with costs.

I have to agree that if you’re starting out, you’re best doing a level 2. If you want to open a salon in the future, you’re best getting that under your belt. Some boroughs won’t allow you to open a salon without a level 2 and this seems to be growing. You can then add what you want on that foundation.

I’d also add that if you then want to work in a salon, a level 2 makes you a lot more employable.

Vic x

Last edited:
I did short courses, providing you research the centre training you, check they are accredited, and that they provide support after your course I don’t see an issue, they’re not for everyone but if you’re wanting a taster of what Beauty is about then go for it. I’ve done a lot of short courses I’d just do your research first. X

I would have to say no. I did a few short courses and after practicing, researching, doing discount prices ect, I still felt no where near skilled enough. So I contacted my nearest beauty college only to find out they do FREE level 2 and 3 beauty courses which only take a few months 6 hours a week. So I’ve enrolled and feel like I wasted a lot of time and money doing it the wrong way as now I am learning everything from scratch properly and it is unbelievable how much info is missed out on these short course. Like pretty much all of it! I feel like it’s invaluable to learn all the theory work ie anatomy, bone structures and all the detailed steps on how to do a manicure ect. I feel like short course are a great practical add on if you’ve already got the basic knowledge x

Depends on your current skills and experience and what the course aims are and how well it is executed.

Latest posts

Back