Are tattoos acceptable in the beauty industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tattooed beautician

Reaction score
Are tattoos acceptable to be visible in the beauty industry?
Currently applying for beauty salon jobs after working mobile and studying a degree.

I have a lot of tattoos, two full sleeves and chest that would mean parts would still be on show in a tunic.

I recently applied to a salon and was told they have an anti tattoo policy, meaning I would be required to wear a long sleeve top or cardigan at all times, even in summer and during every treatment.

So my question is should I expect that this Is what I will hear in every salon? Or is this going to be the rarity? Do people think having an anti tattoo policy is out dated?

As a side note I have a lot of beauty qualifications, 12 years experience including management, so my experience and skill arnt part of it.

The ‘beauty industry’ isn’t a homogeneous being. It’s diverse and definitely not a ‘one size fits all’ model.
In that respect, it’s really no different to any other store in the high street that aims to cater to their target customer market.
If beauty salons having an anti tattoo policy for their staff is considered out of date thinking, what about salons that wouldn’t employ male beauty therapists or even offer beauty treatments to men? Are they also simply being old fashioned? At least you were given the option of wearing clothes to cover the tattoos.

Historically, tattoos have existed for centuries as a means of identifying which tribe you belong to and interestingly, in Britain during the nineteenth century, it was popular with both the aristocratic upper classes and the lower and criminal classes.

I think in contrast, hairdressing has always been viewed as a bit quirky and tattoos are more generally accepted as an example of the stylist’s artistic expression.

The ‘beauty industry’ isn’t a homogeneous being. It’s diverse and definitely not a ‘one size fits all’ model.
In that respect, it’s really no different to any other store in the high street that aims to cater to their target customer market.
If beauty salons having an anti tattoo policy for their staff is considered out of date thinking, what about salons that wouldn’t employ male beauty therapists or even offer beauty treatments to men? Are they also simply being old fashioned? At least you were given the option of wearing clothes to cover the tattoos.

Historically, tattoos have existed for centuries as a means of identifying which tribe you belong to and interestingly, in Britain during the nineteenth century, it was popular with both the aristocratic upper classes and the lower and criminal classes.

I think in contrast, hairdressing has always been viewed as a bit quirky and tattoos are more generally accepted as an example of the stylist’s artistic expression.

I know it's an individual by individual basis, but I wanted to know if it was more common in the beauty industry for tattoos to not be accepted. Yes I do think it's out of date if they wouldn't employ male therapists or have male clients. And surely they would get in trouble for discrimination for this?

I know about the history of tattoos, but fail to know why this is a relevant factor?

I personally don't see why tattoos are not accepted in the beauty industry (or any industry) seen as everything we do is in some way artificial and done to make the person feel more beautiful, how is the fact I have tattoo any different to someone having lip filler, Botox, tattooed makeup? They are both self expression.

My point was in my opinion I don't think I should have to cover them up, a beauty therapist with lip filler wouldn't be asked to cover up them. But I wanted to know if this I what I should expect, and gain a general consensus of people's opinion on the matter.

Most industry don't have any issues with tattoos now, beauty been the only one I have had issues with so far. For example I teach and there is no issue with tattoos been visible in that environment.

Even though attitudes are changing, I do think you’ll still find a lot of places prefer therapists to not have tattoos, such as spas and cruise ships. I remember in my training I was told to avoid getting tattoos as it would limit job opportunities! :rolleyes: But if somewhere can’t see past them then it’s probably not the right salon for you anyway! If they would rather hire someone who looks the part but isn’t as good at their job then that’s their problem I guess.

Re not having male clients, I don’t think it’s ‘out of date’ myself and many other independent therapists or even small salons don’t offer treatments to male clients for many reasons. Be it personal, religious, or safety reasons...it’s not out of date and shouldn’t really be labelled as discrimination

Even though attitudes are changing, I do think you’ll still find a lot of places prefer therapists to not have tattoos, such as spas and cruise ships. I remember in my training I was told to avoid getting tattoos as it would limit job opportunities! :rolleyes: But if somewhere can’t see past them then it’s probably not the right salon for you anyway! If they would rather hire someone who looks the part but isn’t as good at their job then that’s their problem I guess.

Re not having male clients, I don’t think it’s ‘out of date’ myself and many other independent therapists or even small salons don’t offer treatments to male clients for many reasons. Be it personal, religious, or safety reasons...it’s not out of date and shouldn’t really be labelled as discrimination

Very true I don't think I'd be happy in any salon that dosnt allow them, it's not like I want to walk around wearing a sun top and short lol. so they only ones visible would be my lower arms and possibly part of my chest depending on the tunic style.

Yes this is very true, I personally won't do male full body massage for personal reasons but I do male manincure, pedicure, back and chest waxing and eyebrows. I wouldn't how ever go back to doing male massage, nor would I do any more male waxing. I get that it is completely personal preference and what the individual therapist is comfortable with.

It can depend on your location and where you apply. More modern salons can be open to tattoos. The first salon I worked at (Hairdresser) were okay with my smaller tattoos, but I had to cover my large thigh pieces. I had to wear tights and leggings all year around. This was more of an 'Old lady' salon, where there used to be a lot of older clientele who would be a bit judgey. I've never had a problem at any salon since, and I now work for myself. Hairdressing is a fashion industry, so it's probably more open minded than a beauty therapy business.

I know it's an individual by individual basis, but I wanted to know if it was more common in the beauty industry for tattoos to not be accepted. Yes I do think it's out of date if they wouldn't employ male therapists or have male clients. And surely they would get in trouble for discrimination for this?

I know about the history of tattoos, but fail to know why this is a relevant factor?

I personally don't see why tattoos are not accepted in the beauty industry (or any industry) seen as everything we do is in some way artificial and done to make the person feel more beautiful, how is the fact I have tattoo any different to someone having lip filler, Botox, tattooed makeup? They are both self expression.

My point was in my opinion I don't think I should have to cover them up, a beauty therapist with lip filler wouldn't be asked to cover up them. But I wanted to know if this I what I should expect, and gain a general consensus of people's opinion on the matter.

Most industry don't have any issues with tattoos now, beauty been the only one I have had issues with so far. For example I teach and there is no issue with tattoos been visible in that environment.

You can’t compare not employing male therapists/having male clients with not employing someone because of their tattoos. You have chosen to have tattoos. I have said that I am more than happy to employ someone with tattoos but you can’t make that a comparison!

And you can actually specify that you don’t take male clients because of the intimate nature of our work.

Vic x

You can’t compare not employing male therapists/having male clients with not employing someone because of their tattoos. You have chosen to have tattoos. I have said that I am more than happy to employ someone with tattoos but you can’t make that a comparison!

And you can actually specify that you don’t take male clients because of the intimate nature of our work.

Vic x

I didn't actually compare the two I said that I think that they are both out dated ideas or discrimination but I didn't make any direct comparisons.

I know the many reasons that people can list for not hiring/ having male clients. But can the same be said about tattoos? other than been visible and people having a certain mind set about them? the two subjects have no comparison other than that they could both be classed as discrimination. And as I said I above I myself don't do male massage for personal reasons, so I know that you can say you don't treat male clients.

But could you say the same of my situation in reverse? Could you refuse to treat a female client because she has tattoos?

I know I chose to get the tattoos, and I knew I would face backlash, to be honest I didn't think I would have to go back to work in a salon when I got them, so didn't consider it much of an issue, I am only going back in to salon work part time while I finish training to be a teacher.

My tattoos are very pretty (I know I'm bias) lol they couldn't offend anyone by what they are other than the fact there on my skin, they are all flowers, butterflies, Disney and animals lol.

I’ve never worked in a salon that had a problem with tattoos, and equally almost every stylist I ever worked with had at least one visible tattoo. Perhaps more beauty oriented salons are different but in the hair industry I have never known tattoos to be an issue.

I think it is down to the individual salon, their target market and what image they want to show. Even though its becoming more and more common for people to have visible tattoos, its still giving showing an image of you, which wouldn't fit a super clean cut salon. A salon owner should have the right to choose a theme for their salon, and their staff should follow a uniform policy.

It is a form of discrimination, but its not a protected characteristic, like gender, learning difficulties, race or sexuality because its something you chose to do. You chose to permanently change your image, and a salon owner has the right to say no.

But with regards to your question will this be something to expect from all salon, i dont think it will be, there will be some that will embrace your tattoos, and that may be a better fit for you.

I think it is down to the individual salon, their target market and what image they want to show. Even though its becoming more and more common for people to have visible tattoos, its still giving showing an image of you, which wouldn't fit a super clean cut salon. A salon owner should have the right to choose a theme for their salon, and their staff should follow a uniform policy.

It is a form of discrimination, but its not a protected characteristic, like gender, learning difficulties, race or sexuality because its something you chose to do. You chose to permanently change your image, and a salon owner has the right to say no.

But with regards to your question will this be something to expect from all salon, i dont think it will be, there will be some that will embrace your tattoos, and that may be a better fit for you.

Ye I would definitely never want a salon to change if they don't want to that's not for me to decided.

Ye I'm hoping there will be a salon that won't mind them as I think I will definitely be happier working somewhere that does. Because while I did chose to have them and knew that not everyone would like them it does still make me feel a bit dejected when I get comments like "anti tattoo policy" and some of the comments I get about them, but hay ho I guess that's just how it goes.

Latest posts

Back