Are there decent juniors out there? I'm starting to think not!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa.davis

Reaction score
To be honest this is just a rant ! I am so annoyed, today is the last straw ! We have been looking for an apprentice/junior Beautician, as myself and my full time Beautician are beginning to struggle reception duties and the cleaning as well as treatments, I have been looking since April.

All we seem to get is complete crap! We get loads of girls apply, but none of them have the passion, the drive or the want to be in this industry! We have had multiply girls in for trails, but none are any good. I took the plunge and took on a girl in September, that i weren't really 100% with and give her a three month contract. She lasted two weeks and didn't even work her notice she got her mum to call in saying that it was not the job role for her and she is sorry!
Then this, Thursday I interviewed a girl she gave the same old spill I will work really hard, i really want this job, i am good at listening and cleaning. So I give her a trail today at 12.30, well........ She has just called me at 12.20 saying that she is on her way but she has been offered another job that she is going to take but thank you!!!! REALLY!!! She didn't know this before hand! I am worrying how we are going to cope with xmas coming up and this October has been manic already, compared to last year!

I advertise on Indeed but it seems to be getting me know where. I send all staff on good training courses and i really think this is a good opportunity for someone out there! Any advice, for a better place to advertise this job role ??

The local colleges and training academies in my area usually have a jobs notice board :)

I think the problem begins from college. When I did my level 2 I was classed as mature because I was 24 and there were so many young girls in my class. None of them were there because they had generally had a passion for beauty. It didn't help that tutors just passed people just for the sake of passing them and to get the course over and done with. When I went to my 2nd college to do my level 3 I had such a shock their standard was so HIGH but it pushed me even more to be better.

Anyway I have gone off the point but I would say have a look at colleges that have a good reputation for the beauty department or gumtree.

You will find someone soon x

Maybe look for someone more mature - who is looking for some part time work? Far easier than dealing with teenagers!

Perhaps look at it from a different angle?
The person who will be a successful part of your salon needs their own status and identified role.
One route would be to take on a beauty apprentice who would be working towards a qualification and career under your tuition.

Or
Think about which services you could give to a new part time member of staff.
For example you could take on a nail technician but add in specific reception hours too.
This would free you up to focus on other services and salon admin.

Think about what rate of pay you are offering as it has to attractive against other similar jobs in your immediate area.

I think the problem begins from college. When I did my level 2 I was classed as mature because I was 24 and there were so many young girls in my class. None of them were there because they had generally had a passion for beauty. It didn't help that tutors just passed people just for the sake of passing them and to get the course over and done with. When I went to my 2nd college to do my level 3 I had such a shock their standard was so HIGH but it pushed me even more to be better.

Anyway I have gone off the point but I would say have a look at colleges that have a good reputation for the beauty department or gumtree.

You will find someone soon x

I would be interested to know where you did your Level 3..
It's nice to know there are some places teaching to a high standard.
More often you hear luke warm, or rushed. :(

I think this too, I'm 23 and most of the girls at my college were there to get a bursary! Weren't interested at all! I was though and really struggled to get a job so went self employed for a year when is qualified, I find it so hard to work for people now because now a days everyone cuts so many corners and don't have the same standard of work as me! I'm 23 and would consider myself better than half the people I've worked for! (I'm not blowing my own trumpet) [emoji23] I just like to do things right!

Anyway, why don't you put in your ad that the right candidate must have a very good knowledge & education in beauty? Try gumtree, local newspapers, Facebook, you'll get someone! Don't give up :) xxx

Latest posts

Back