Are there different types of acetone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafxgal

Reaction score
I needed some acetone at short notice, so a friend of mine said she could get hold of it as her husband uses it at his business. Well I got it and it smells different than the acetone I usually get, any ideas why?
It is brilliant for cleaning my desk but it isn't so great at removing the acrylic.
Is there a different formulation for different applications?

Cheers

i dont think so, you sure it isnt white spirit or something ? what does it say on the ingredients label ?

im gripping at straws here pet but is what your hubby uses an industrial grade acetone and not the nail/beautygrade (if you know what i mean) i believe there is a differnece, if i were you - i wouldnt use it

I haven't used it yet.....
But have been out today and brought some from the chemist.
It's definately a different smell, as soon as my friend gets back from holiday I shall let her know it's not the same.

cheers guys

Peter Pan said:
im gripping at straws here pet but is what your hubby uses an industrial grade acetone and not the nail/beautygrade (if you know what i mean) i believe there is a differnece, if i were you - i wouldnt use it

Absolutely right, Glynnis!! Unbuffered Industrial Grade Acetone ....

I do wish people would stop thinking they are chemists (meaning your friend and many technicians too for that matter) this is a great way to have a law suit brought against you.

When you are working on the public you MUST use professional products. Good thing your instincts were sound on this one.

By the way Grafxgal ... if you haven't used it, how come you know it isn't so great at removing acrylic .... hmmmm???

geeg said:
By the way Grafxgal ... if you haven't used it, how come you know it isn't so great at removing acrylic .... hmmmm???

:biggrin: had a blob of acrylic on my desk and usually when I clean acrylic off my desk with acetone it disappears, but with this it didn't, it just cleaned the dust and paint off really well.

grafxgal said:
:biggrin: had a blob of acrylic on my desk and usually when I clean acrylic off my desk with acetone it disappears, but with this it didn't, it just cleaned the dust and paint off really well.

:biggrin: Ok I'll let you off then :biggrin: !!

:biggrin: I was a good girl :wink2: :Love:

cheers

Latest posts

Back