Are there legal restrictions to delivering leaflets?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujojones

Reaction score
hey geeks!

Im about to do a huge leaflet drop (since the weather is nice and i could do with the exercise :o) But have just been googling - and it suddenly dawned on my -

Are there any legal restrictions to delivering leaflets through peoples letterboxes?

am i within my rights to deliver leaflets? do i need council permission? :D

It's perfectly legal to post through letterboxes. It's unregulated, and as it's not addressed mail, isn't covered by the mail preference service.

The only legislation is for "tampering"- i.e. putting flyers under windscreen wipers and so on, where you'll be messing with people's property.

Get your trainers on and get leafleting!

Last edited:
thank you! i found i thread on another site and it said that you needed to pay the council postage? i had never heard of it! :o:lick:

Extensionize;1544371 The only legislation is for "tampering"- i.e. putting flyers under windscreen wipers and so on said:
Well, I didn't know this! It always really p....s me off when I find a leaflet under my windscreen wipers (not sure why really, think it prob just the thought that some weird stranger has been touching my car). So when this happens again, is there somewhere I can complain to?

Bit off topic, sorry, but found the post answer so interesting! :irked:

Well, I didn't know this! It always really p....s me off when I find a leaflet under my windscreen wipers (not sure why really, think it prob just the thought that some weird stranger has been touching my car). So when this happens again, is there somewhere I can complain to?

Bit off topic, sorry, but found the post answer so interesting! :irked:

Yep- a company has no right to tamper with your property, and you can sue them.

The difference between that and a letterbox (even though thats your property) is that the letterbox is implicitly for recieving letters into the home i.e. thats what it's for, so its not illegal.

Interestingly, I know that many of those car window leafleters are instructed to place the leaflet face down, because if it's face up and people can see the content, then they're using people's property as an advertising medium illegally, and can be sued and/or prosecuted.

Moral of the story is- don't be tempted to get down to Tescos car park and stick leaflets under peoples windscreen wipers!

I got told ff by the council for putting leaflets under car windscreens - because of littering, bt he also told me it was illegal oops.

Latest posts

Back