Are voluntary contributions vital for our society to thrive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
I wonder whether we could still exist without financial contributions to charities, or volunteer workers?

I remember being so shocked when I learned that hospices rely on charity to survive. How can that be acceptable, when so much money is wasted on non-essential projects?

Medical research, eg into cancer, is partially funded by donations. Charities to support vulnerable children are, too.

This is not a political thread, in the sense of party politics, so may I ask we don't get into a tangle over that?

What else can you name that rely on charity, and what are your thoughts on the topic?

It is quite worrying that so many vital services rely on voluntary contributions, especially in these hard times. After all with so many people having to tighten their belts how can they afford to keep donating?
The sad thing is it is during these harsh economic times that our donations are required more than ever.

For very personal reasons I was involved in some fundraising last year, thankfully I wasn't undertaking the actual endeavour, just the promotion and raising awareness, it was difficult as you don't want to guilt people into donating especially when I am such a private person myself....but then again you feel so strongly that that is what you end up doing anyway. I did find it very uplifting how many people, from my business suppliers to fellow geeks, were generous and supportive.
In the ideal world funding into Medical Research and Hospices would not be down to voluntary contributions, but sadly that is the world we live in.

Last edited:
They should stop foreign aid and concentrate on our own charities, I'm not being political just believe it's the best thing, so many charities lose out; it's a shame x

They should stop foreign aid and concentrate on our own charities, I'm not being political just believe it's the best thing, so many charities lose out; it's a shame x

I have seen the day I would have argued with you about this, but this year with all of our disasters i.e. the awful flooding, I do think there needs to be an adjustment in our foreign aid policies and more set aside for people affected here in the UK.

This doesn't mean I think charity begins at home, or I read the Daily Mail I just think we aren't that far off needing Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to organise a concert for people affected by poverty and floods in this country.
I hope I haven't digressed away from the main topic here ?

It sometimes seems that the really big, well-known charities dwarf the smaller ones who cannot afford tv ads etc. It must be hard to run the smaller ones, sometimes with very little expert marketing advice.

I very much admire anyone who does voluntary work of any sort.

Charities which operate at grassroots level, and truly make a difference to people's lives struggle to raise funds when up against the large charities such as comic relief, which has such a murky reputation, and rumours that the money has ended up in the city, that we should seriously question the 'business' of charity.
I'd rather donate to a hospice, having seen the amazing work they do, than a corporate juggernaut like comic relief.

Its surprising actually how much people who manage and fundraise for certain bigger charities are paid.Nothing voluntary about it.Its big business.
I do give,I change my monthly contributions every few years or so depending on what is important at the time I just hope it goes where it's needed.you have to have a certain amount of faith that it does.

I try my best to pop a few pence in most collection boxes income across, but the ones really close to my heart are hospices. 2 members of my family have been cared for by our local Douglas Macmillan hospice and the care they received was invaluable - heads and shoulders above the hospital they had previously been in, how can it be that this fantastic service is funded almost entirely by volunteers and donations??

I think more needs to be done in this country charity wise,I'm not saying stop foreign aid all together but at some point we must start to look after our own people as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I did my bit today as you know dandelionpoppy.
Myself and hairdresser business partner for weddings volunteered to do the hair and beauty for a calendar girls theme calendar for McMillan.
We also were in the calendar 😳 pic is on the older girls wanna have fun thread.
Our services would of been in the region of £900 but as it's a charity close to our hearts (I'm 20yr cancer free) we were proud to be part of it :)
I donate my services quite often through the year for charities that solely rely on donations :) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the volunteers who work for charities are amazing and selfless .....but it's a pity that in some cases ,t he directors of certain charities would seem to be earning exorbitant salaries which is topped up by money fundraised by volunteers ....
Very two faced.

This subject is very close to my heart and I have mixed feelings about it. I volunteer for a local 'small' cancer charity providing 1:1 holistic therapies and counselling for those who have been diagnosed with cancer or their families/carers. I personally don't see it as selfless giving I prefer to see it as both a way of 'paying it forward' and saying thanks. I say that because I have had family members who have directly benefited from similar organisations and so I know what a difference it can make to an individual, there is a very strong family disposition to cancer, chances are I may need to make use of services like this at some point in the future and so to me it's vital that this help exists and is freely available for those in need. But also I get a huge amount of personal satisfaction in what I do. I can see and am told that what I do helps and makes a difference, and it makes me feel good! There are days when I'm tired and don't fancy attending my shift, but I always go and I know that I will leave feeling better too.

As for funding, you'd be surprised how many of the big famous charities actually support and fund the smaller ones. We get a lot of practical and financial support from our local hospice and MacMillan, without them we wouldn't be able to continue.

What I personally hate are the unsolicited begging letters and phone calls which try and use guilt to get you to part with your money. I hate the paid charity collectors who follow you down the street in town. I hate the bad name that some big bosses give to their charities because of their greed and lack of morals.

But can we do without charity? Absolutely not...the government simply can't fund every little thing that people need and without charities, those who are at their most difficult and trying time in their lives would go without.

Should charity start at home, in the UK? Definitely!!

(Sorry for waffling 😊)

A subject very close to my heart also. One of my clients lost her little boy to cancer . She set up a charitable trust in his name . She had raised money for a mother who doesn't have a washing machine her child is so sick receiving chemotherapy she has to take dirty laundry there daily . The charity bought her a washing machine. Another single mother couldn't afford to take her child for chemo so travelling expenses were paid for. This small charity has a huge impact on these childrens lives. Of the 25k that was raised last year £200 went on expenses !
There are more millionaires in India than the whole of Europe that is a fact. Yet the UK is still sending aid there!! Ludicrous sorry to be political.
Anyone working for these small charities are true gems!
X

Latest posts

Back