Are we mad to share business tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidgernetball

Ubergeek
Reaction score
Some years ago, I watched the Apprentice, and one of the girls wanted to get some top notch suppliers, so she rang a top London hotel and asked who their suppliers were. the hotel - having spent time and money sourcing great suppliers, refused to divulge the information.

My question is, are we mad to share who we believe to be the best in the business. Does it harm our own business to tell everyone how great we're doing with a certain brow company or a specific skincare range? Or is this what a forum like this is all about?

I see the same questions again and again.
Is HD brows worth the money? Who does the best skincare and so on.

Most people who read my posts know where my loyalties lie, and I have started to take a bit of a back seat now regarding raving about what products I use.

Interested to hear what other geeks think!

Vic x

It's certainly interesting IE I wouldn't tell competitors who we source our paper from at what price etc.

I have visions of salons popping up all around me offering everything I offer!!!

Vic x

We had an enquiry from a salon very close to one of our existing customers. I refused to allow her to stock the range out of respect for the existing business.
I think some of the responsibility lies with the distributor/manufacturer...

I keep everything to myself, marketing & promotion tips, ads, deals etc. Ive worked hard to get where i am!!!

I think you have to be mindful of the things you post bearing in mind that chances are someone on here will be a competitor.

If I wanted to invest in a new brand that was completely unique to the area chances are I wouldn't post on here for all to see.

Neither would I post about how busy or quiet I am. News travels fast.

However I do think invaluable tips & tricks can be shared that help us all.

Some people aren't fussed about who sees what, each to their own.

I do think you have to think about competition when writing or commenting on certain things x

Ive been thinking the same as you lately vicki,

Ive given so much advice on here like you on the past but have started to take a step back, one because i don't have the time i used to and two because who knows who reads the posts...and not just competitors but anyone can read on here including clients. I am the only beauty only salon for miles and i don't really want to be giving away every detail of what is making us so busy!!!

Lots of the same questions are ask on here as no one seems to use the search facility which is highly frustrating!!

I dont mind giving advice on things you can find out for yourself BUT ive invested lots of money in training and am not going to give all that away!! Having said that most of the companies produce videos on you tube that ANYONE can see anyway!!

We had an enquiry from a salon very close to one of our existing customers. I refused to allow her to stock the range out of respect for the existing business.
I think some of the responsibility lies with the distributor/manufacturer...

Not many suppliers are as considerate Lynne, as I'm sure you know!

Vic x

I'm always careful about what I write as I'm aware clients could read it. However, when I started out a local therapist gave me some great advice so I'm happy to pass that on and help out other new therapists near me.

I wonder if it is different though because I have a clinic based at home and it's just me so I'm full to capacity and don't want to expand? If I had a shop with staff I may feel differently.

I'm always careful about what I write as I'm aware clients could read it. However, when I started out a local therapist gave me some great advice so I'm happy to pass that on and help out other new therapists near me.

I wonder if it is different though because I have a clinic based at home and it's just me so I'm full to capacity and don't want to expand? If I had a shop with staff I may feel differently.

I must admit, I originally did a lot of networking and made a friend who became a business mentor. His enthusiasm, advice and encouragement really helped me to grow my business, and a lot of me is keen to give some of that back. I think I hesitate to recommend too much as I think therapists often think "If I did that, I'd be busy" and sadly that's not the case. Just adding a treatment or product range is no guarantee of anything. Nor is throwing a lot of money at a business or having the best of everything.

Therapists seem to open their doors and say "Where are the clients?" and get downhearted when they are still trying to grow a business two years later!

There is a lot more to business than what range you stock but a lot of people don't want to spend on quality pricelists or leaflet drops, advertising or websites!

Vic x

That's very true Vic. It's taken 18 years of hard work to get where I am and it was many years before I was really busy. Yes, I choose to use excellent products but that alone doesn't fill the diary :)

I'm not going to blow my own trumpet but I am in a lucky position to offer products and treatment that I believe are good quality. I live in a town where everyone is either a "hairdresser" or "beautician" I use the term lightly as everyone thinks they know how to do things or want to use everything you have. I learnt that a long time ago. I have my own unique selling point which works for me, but I have learnt a vast amount from training to opening my business in the recession to what members of my family have in their own businesses.

I have found it annoying but also flattering at times as when other salons have copied what I do. I purposely withheld my identity on websites as you don't know who you may come across. But i do remember we all started somewhere.

In terms of sharing I try to give a logical response to helps someone out. I really appreciative of what I have learnt in terms of product awareness from salon geek. Some that I probably wouldn't have even given a second thought to.

My problem is that I dither at times and want to see if people have the guts or faith to try out some products that I might be uncertain to use!

(dont worry squidgernetball im nowhere near where you might be based hehe) :) xoxo

I must admit, I love it when someone on here tells me that my posts helped them come to a decision or gave them the encouragement to take a leap of faith, but more and more I think "what if that was on my doorstep?". I definitely wouldn't be so happy then!

It's not just products and business sense that makes someone/where successful. I don't think sharing a few hints and tips can destroy loyalty and a good reputation. People respects open and honest people.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I must admit, I love it when someone on here tells me that my posts helped them come to a decision or gave them the encouragement to take a leap of faith, but more and more I think "what if that was on my doorstep?". I definitely wouldn't be so happy then!

I always think that when i see where they are from! :smack:

On a serious note i think im still youngish (Shh! im 30!) I do love reading what experienced geeks on salon geek have to offer and squidernetball you are definitely one of them! :hug: xoxo

I always think that when i see where they are from! :smack:

On a serious note i think im still youngish (Shh! im 30!) I do love reading what experienced geeks on salon geek have to offer and squidernetball you are definitely one of them! :hug: xoxo

I have to agree with you here!

I am 28 and have only been self employed for 2 years even though I now have 10 years experience I still love to read what other beauty geeks have to say, so don't stop posting! :D

I don't think you championing certain products and treatments will have a detrimental effect on your business here Vic because like the others have said you have your experience and loyal clients and a successful salon, if anyone did copy nearby I can't see what effect it would have on your business.

I do get where you are coming from though and I also think some geeks are ungrateful for advice given on here for free!

I don't ever mind giving advice or telling people what brands I use. Without this site I sincerely doubt I would be in business at all and feel it's only right to pay it forward to the new generation of geeks coming through the site.

Yes it can be tedious to older geeks that the same question is asked repeatedly, but we all asked or wondered those same questions at the start of our careers and may not have ever found the answers if it were not for this site :)

All a prospective salon owner has to do if they want to see the products you are using is pick up a price list or log into your website theses days. Or indeed pop in for a treatment and see how you do things, but you have to also remember that it is not only the products you use , it's your professionalism , attitude and personality that create a sucessful business and no one can steal that from you :)

Imitation is the best form of flattery!

Let's face it we aren't reinventing the wheel!

I here the same ideas over and over again and have attended millions of businesses courses.

Let's face it what will work for some won't work for others!

I haven't shared any ideas because well I'm new! But I have learned SOO much from this site and the people who post here. Before I came to this site I wasn't very knowledgable where as now I feel like I come on here and learn something new. It might be something simple as how to pick up gems or the best supplier to buy things or even somewhere new that's popped up. I have bookmarks from the business section and I have bookmarks to buy stuff that I will eventually need or where to replenish things. I honestly would be lost without people allowing me to pick their brains! Mean I do try and do my own research but sometimes I end up in a pickle and like to ask :)!

Actually, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you all. Each and every geek who shares their information ❤️ I appreciate it whole heartedly. Without your information I would probably still be in a pickle and not feel as informed as I do today! ❤️

I'm currently doing my beauty therapy diploma and reading posts on here have inspired me to be the best I can be. I feel very passionate about what I do and it's so nice to see others that have that passion too and how many nice people are in the industry. I don't think anyone can completely copy another's business or style but swapping tips etc can help make us all better therapists and be a credit to the industry we're in. Having said all that I can see where your coming from about competition! X

Latest posts

Back