Are wet manicures bad for the natural nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always soak during my luxury manicures with warm water, unless they're having Gelish. I was never taught any of the information given in both threads at college, and it was only 3/4 years ago. You all make complete sense though, I never even realised! Xxx

Soaking has traditionally, for many, many years, been the method for softening the cuticle to make removal easy. This is the ONLY purpose for soaking in this type of manicure. As more research into the nature of the nail unit has progressed it is understood that water is one of, if not, the worst enemy of the nail plate.

Products have developed that produce better results in the reason for soaking, I.e. softening the cuticle. BUT that doesn't mean soaking is always bad! If the liquid is developed to provide a 'serious' remoisturisation then it has an important role.

Changing a key step in the manicure procedure will take colleges years to catch up with! What is most important is understanding the nail unit and what is the most relevant treatment for the individual.

Manicure has been taught for years as a rigid step by step procedure with no real prescriptive thought. The soaking medium is very relevant as is the decision to soak or not.

As always: education and understanding

I was taught to soak too and I trained in February what are the steps if you were to manicure dry then? X:eek:

Marking for later x

Latest posts

Back