Are you a have a go gal/guy ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a have a go gal/guy ?

• You know everything there is to know

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • You would turn the client away

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Blag it and hope for the best

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Use it as a chance to experiment

Votes: 88 67.2%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 17 13.0%

• Total voters

becki x

Reaction score
Just curious to know how you would react if a client came to you wanting something specific or needed something correcting,and you had no idea what to do?

(this has not happened to me,but never say never)

I have to say I would be honest, becuase anything elso could get you into trouble.

I would be reluctant to turn the client away, but if I couldn't help, I would.:cry:

I know how to deal with most problem nails. However, if the case arose that I didn't know, I would tell the client so and say that I would make enquiries and would get back to them by telephone and advise them as necessary.

I would never blag it!! Now that would be very silly!

I would explain to the client that I had never come across her particular problem before but that I was a good and responsible and well educated technician and if she was willing I would have a go!

Actually done this LOADS of times which is why I reckon I've seen just about everything and dealt with it too.:)

I would be honest with the client and if i didnt know how to sort the problem out i would... 1 get on the interent and hope that one of you guys did
2 do the above until someone did
3 hold hands up and say "sorry" tried to get help and unsure what to do...
I would never blag it as i could make a bad situation worse and to me that is just wrong....

Ive had this happen once and i would deffo do it again.
I explained to the client that i was confident and responsible and if she was happy for me to go ahead i would.
I had never done a sculpt before and was quietly bricking it lol but i kinda managed to pull it off and the client was happy that i had rescued this nail that was always a problem to her. (her own tech was on holiday)
Its great experience, i like to think of it as been thrown in at the deep end, you just get on and do it!

I think, for me, it would totally depend on the individual situation and to how extreme/unusual the thing the client wanted was - i would never attempt anything that could make me look a fool but if i had some knowledge in the area i'd give it a go!:)

Funnily enough this happened to me last week.
I have just finished my foundation course and so far had models with pretty good nails/beds to begin with, anyway to cut a long story short I had a call from a referal, explained I had recently qualified so would take a little longer than usual which the lady said was fine no problem, arrived at the house and thought OMG, talk about chewed nails :eek:

Anyway went on to explain that I hadn't attempted a nail biter before but felt confident in trying (I had done all my reading up on here before I went) but would understand if she didn't want me to.
Any how explained I would need to see her this week to check and tidy/infill if needed etc and she was happy to have it done and was chuffed to bits with the result :)

Talk about getting thrown in at the deep end !!

I would say that 90% of the time, I'm a "have a go" gal.

However, I would explain to the client "I will do the best I can".

But to be honest, I have not yet come across something that has left me befuddled.
I'm not sure what would?
Well, ok, sculpting LOL
But other than that.... I try all kinds of things.
I've done enhancements on severe nail biters.. etc...

I experiment.. and have a few friends that let me do so.

Whether it's nails or life in general, I'm very much a "have a go" kind of person.

so, I replied 'other" since I have not yet come across something I couldn't do for a client, and dont know what I would do really.

I think, like most others, the main thing is to be honest. I would welcome the chance to experiment, but only if the client was happy! I would generally assure her of my skills and outline the 'worst case scenario' (ie, the fact we would start again and put anything right!)

If it was something really different that I'd truly never done before, but really felt safe or competent to have a go, I would possibly offer her a model rate.

I would never blag it!! Now that would be very silly!

I totally agree Geeg,but i am sure there are many that would ! x (there have been five votes already )

If it was something really different that I'd truly never done before, but really felt safe or competent to have a go, I would possibly offer her a model rate.

Mee too Lyndsay hun x

think id tell the client that i aint done it before, but would do my upmost best to accomodate her

I ticked 'other' so i will explain
I would not blag it as there would be possibility of causing further problem to client and a bad come back to me would be a chance I would not take either.
I would not like to experiment at least not without declaring to the client or seeking there permission first.
So i opted for 'Other' I would explain to a client that I had not seen the problem before and would help if they wanted and I would ask another Tech who I felt to be my senior with experience plus surf the net. This way I get to learn from the problem as well as solve it (if it is solveable) so the next time I will know what to do and even know what the results will be if the first client came back regularly.

I had a lady call m wanting sculpted nails. I have always wanted to do these on a real live human being as the nail trainer just doesn't seem to let you know how they feel or do day to day things to see how they last.

I told her I had only done these on my nail trainer but I was willing to give it a go if she was happy.

She cam at 8.15pm in a friday night and left at midnight the proud owner of 10 sculpted french nails. I used NSI Balance and have to say I loved doing it.

She has been back for her infills and had only broken one, she admitted that this was her fault too, no lifting either.

I am deff a "give it a go" but if I have chance to will have a "go" on my trainer first!!

Rachel

PS I will always inform the clients that i have not done it before or not heard of such and such etc etc.

i would be honest but if i thought i could help them i would, and just make them aware of this!

I personally would always try and help a client, but if it was something i really didn't know how to deal with, i would tell them i would check and get back to them as to what course of action to be taken.

I wouldn't have to turn a client away as i would ask what they wanted when they phone me to book. I can usually deal with most problem nails, so it would have to be pretty obscure for me to need to ask, but then you never know what is around that corner.

Hi there I would tend to do what urban geek did/has done, I have had clients who have had fungal infections and I have turned them away to see the doctor and the surprising thing is that they have returned when their hand has healed. I get the impression that geekes are aftaid or frightened to turn customers away. From my point of view, I would hate to think that the person sitting next to me has a fungal infection and the tools that are being used on them may have been used on me at my previous appointment. Let's get serious and ask ourselves is it worth the risk? I don't think so.

I am totally surprised and disappointed that something like this is taken lightly. But never mind, I understand that geeks have been taught differently.

Latest posts

Back