are you born with good nails, or do u maintan them

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffho

Reaction score
im wondering because my nails are very thick. weird to me but turns out to be a good thing as i can buff and still my nails are strong.

anyway, im mainly talking about the cuticles. my cuticles are, well i would say perfect, but then again im not sure what perfect is! well i like to paint nails and ill paint my cousins nails, and her cuticles are so weird! i would push them back a bit and clean them up but i just dunno what to do. i mean, in one area the cuticle looks right but the other half the cuticle is like half way down her nail. then theyre all cut up and stuff, instead of doing a sort of smile, they are on a total diagonal.

so what is it, i dont think she does any strange labor where she would scratch up her fingers. she washes dishes as much as i do. i dont do ANYTHING at all to my cuticles. is it just genes? thats all i can come up with because i dont do anything to mine, havent since the 7th grade (tahats when i started painting my nails) and now i a sophomore college, and they look really good. i mean like nothing is out of place, everything even..

just wondering!!

fluffho said:
im wondering because my nails are very thick. weird to me but turns out to be a good thing as i can buff and still my nails are strong.

anyway, im mainly talking about the cuticles. my cuticles are, well i would say perfect, but then again im not sure what perfect is! well i like to paint nails and ill paint my cousins nails, and her cuticles are so weird! i would push them back a bit and clean them up but i just dunno what to do. i mean, in one area the cuticle looks right but the other half the cuticle is like half way down her nail. then theyre all cut up and stuff, instead of doing a sort of smile, they are on a total diagonal.

so what is it, i dont think she does any strange labor where she would scratch up her fingers. she washes dishes as much as i do. i dont do ANYTHING at all to my cuticles. is it just genes? thats all i can come up with because i dont do anything to mine, havent since the 7th grade (tahats when i started painting my nails) and now i a sophomore college, and they look really good. i mean like nothing is out of place, everything even..

just wondering!!

i think it is partly down to genes, but you can either go along with nature or make your own modifications! you have obviously had good luck and you probably have good cuticles because you have a good moisture balance in your skin generally. also strong nails are generally to be found on a person with good hair as they are both made from kerratin. your cousin needs to improve on the moisture in her cuticles, when they are very dry they become tight and draw in round the nail ,splitting and becoming ragged as they become more dehydrated. so its not necessarily that she washes more dishes than you, just that her body struggles to replace lost moisture but yours doesnt. she can help herself by applying a good cuticle oil 3 times a day.some of us just have to work a little harder than others! :)

another question, although i may stump you and everyone here since i think only a doctor would know!

i was so worried this summer, back in may. my dogs were fighting and i was stupid enough to put my hands betwen them and my minnie chomped right on my thumb. right at the cuticle! near the right side, through the cuticle and partly through the nail. did not grow out completely until i think september! but i was sooo scared, that my perfect hands would be rui ned. as the nail grew out there was not a hole, but like the layers were peeled so some of the layers were VERy thin. also a bit lumpy in places. then when it finally got to the edge i had to cut it off cuz it was not a hole, but completly separated.. hard to explain.well if you were to loook now, theres absolutely nothing there! no scarring on the skin and the nail is perfect again

i was talking to a finger print analyst and she told us if u cut yourself through the epidermis, it will heal fine however if you cut all the way through the dermis, it will leave a mark. i mean it was prety deep! disgusting, it hurt to touch anywhere near it. im sure i mustve hit the derm but there is no mark whatso ever!

weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back