Are you chat chat chatty??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lulu83x

Reaction score
Question in the title really lol... Do you natter away to your clients during treatments.. to the point where you realise you have stopped what your doing?? lol :biggrin: Although I am still only at the friends & family stage (maybe this is why?) but I will be blending/ applying tips etc etc and then im suddenly aware I have stopped what im doing and im chatting lol! does anyone else do this to the point its annoyingly noticable? I worry that once im qualified and have paying clients this may be a problem lol, or maybe im just worryong about nothing? :lol: xx

I sometimes find if the client tells me something shocking my head jolts up really quickly ha ha. Generally though I just try to get my work done, but I defo take longer with family as I just relax and chat away happily :lol:

i think your right, maybe it is because its my friends and family, I must just be relaxed? Most likely when I have a paying client Ill be more aware and terrified lol, I bet you hear lots of shocking things from clients :0) xx

You have no idea, you might as well be in confession ha ha

Once your qualified you will soon learn to never stop working on your clients nails, even if your talking to them.

Why? Because your next client is going to waiting for you and they have money to give you...now that should make you keep your head down and keep working :)

Once your qualified you will soon learn to never stop working on your clients nails, even if your talking to them.

Why? Because your next client is going to waiting for you and they have money to give you...now that should make you keep your head down and keep working :)

lol this is so true, and you are so right :)

I used to do this but since re-training I've been taught to keep my head down and chat. It has made such a difference.
I find that because I've constantly got my head down, clients talk to me slightly less. The only thing is I keep forgetting what they look like!:eek:

Lol i do do that sometimes! Thats why my mum always comes in right at the end of the day! Its nice tho i love talking to all my clients. X

It is completely normal to talk to your customers you just need to learn to talk and work at the same time! As for keeping your head down you need to look at them to actually pay attention to what they are saying! If I didn't make eye contact with my customers they would all start getting pretty annoyed! I remember what each one tells me, and refer back to on the next appointment. This has helped me to build up a fabulous rappor with them over the past 10yrs. It's all part of the service I think. My clients come in for the social side as well as their treatments, it's about finding the right balance xxx

To avoid this, I do the "first date" dialogue. I ask the clients questions on topics that would have THEM do the talking. I kinda pick up on the last bit they're saying and ask it as a question to keep them talking and occassionally look up from my work and nod.
Example:
[Client]: ...I had no room for it so I threw it all out.
[Me]: All of it? Weren't tempted to keep any, eh?
[Client]: Well... <blah blah blah conversation drags on for another 5 minutes>:lol:

It's not that I'm disinterested. I just need to concentrate and they need to relax and not tense up. hehe

I think the more clients (non family and friends) you do, the better you get at working and talking at the same time. You end up talking to their hands or feet. It's ok to glance up sometimes, a little bit of eye contact, a nod, a smile are all good body language and show you are listening and being attentive. But the client is also aware you have a job to do and they don't want to be sitting in the chair for hours on end just because of a good old natter.

I also remember what my clients have said, which keeps it personal and friendly. I sometimes attach a note page to the back of the clients consultation form so I can jot notes down at the end of the treatment/day and refresh my memory the next time I see them.

I think the more clients (non family and friends) you do, the better you get at working and talking at the same time. You end up talking to their hands or feet. It's ok to glance up sometimes, a little bit of eye contact, a nod, a smile are all good body language and show you are listening and being attentive. But the client is also aware you have a job to do and they don't want to be sitting in the chair for hours on end just because of a good old natter.

I also remember what my clients have said, which keeps it personal and friendly. I sometimes attach a note page to the back of the clients consultation form so I can jot notes down at the end of the treatment/day and refresh my memory the next time I see them.

I do this too, I also note down their kids names & hubbys/boyfriends name too. It does give a personal touch & clients love it when you remember things about them.
I chat away, but don t stop working. I am also a personal trainer & fitness instructor so am used to talking & working lol

To avoid this, I do the "first date" dialogue. I ask the clients questions on topics that would have THEM do the talking. I kinda pick up on the last bit they're saying and ask it as a question to keep them talking and occassionally look up from my work and nod.
Example:
[Client]: ...I had no room for it so I threw it all out.
[Me]: All of it? Weren't tempted to keep any, eh?
[Client]: Well... <blah blah blah conversation drags on for another 5 minutes>:lol:

It's not that I'm disinterested. I just need to concentrate and they need to relax and not tense up. hehe

lol this is great! im def going to try this :) maybe its because im still learning so i cant actually chat AND work at the same time yet - so I have to stop working to chat?? lol im sure ill overcome it :)

I am really bad at stopping what I'm doing when I talk to clients! I can't do 2 things at the same time lol i seemed to do it without realising! But luckily I've picked up on it so am trying to keep my head down

I had one client, and I picked up on the fact she wasn't talkative and didn't really seem to want to talk to me. Its the quickest I've done a set of nails! Xxx

You must not stop working whilst chatting unless the client has just admitted to murder .. you can stop for that one lol.

One geek on here ages ago had an expression that you should always bear in mind .. 'talk to the hands' (or the feet).

Jacqui xx

I am really bad at stopping what I'm doing when I talk to clients! I can't do 2 things at the same time lol i seemed to do it without realising! But luckily I've picked up on it so am trying to keep my head down

I had one client, and I picked up on the fact she wasn't talkative and didn't really seem to want to talk to me. Its the quickest I've done a set of nails! Xxx

lol that is funny :) i did my friends sisters nails last week and she's really shy, and like you said it was so much quicker lol, but then when they dont talk to me.. it makes me more self concious too... oh dear i have no hope lol :biggrin: xx

I know what u mean! I find it awkward if clients dont want to talk at all. Most of my clients like a good chat. Like jacqui says, we'l just have to get used to 'talking to the hand' :) xxx

I know what u mean! I find it awkward if clients dont want to talk at all. Most of my clients like a good chat. Like jacqui says, we'l just have to get used to 'talking to the hand' :) xxx

yes im going to try this lol x i think it all comes down to a confidence thing for me to be honest, but im sure in time ill get over it :) xxx

Latest posts

Back