Are you from England?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I really like reading how you talk and typing how I talk but I understand why some wont have a dandoo what we were talking about if we did lol
My boyfriends family love reading my facebook and trying to figure out what on earth I'm talking about lol xx

I'm a Dub and try very hard not to type like I talk :)

I'm not from England. I'm from the U.S. and I know exactly what Susie is talking about. There are most assuredly cultural differences based on the continent our forefathers happened to land on. Americans are known for lacking tact and not using an oral filter. I try to be tactful and use my filter, but sometimes...well, I fall short. Americans are known for saying what's on their mind. I'm certainly an A-mura-cun (said in a George W. Bush accent).

"Someone" said that my U.S.A.-ness took some getting use to. Understandable. We're not for everyone. :wink2:

I tend to gravitate towards Americans. My last two ex's are lol

That said, I have, on ocassion, found myself offended by things some of the UK geeks say. I know they certainly don't mean to be offensive, but I had no idea what some of their terms meant.

This said, I have a great example. I spent a month in Argentina when I was 17 and halfway through the trip, some of the locals we were staying with literally sat us down and asked us to stop being so rude to each other. We had no idea what they meant, and they gave us some examples.

We realized they didn't really understand our sarcasm, and when we talked to a few other people, we found out that a ton of people think Canadians are the most sarcastic people they've ever met. We had to try really hard not to keep doing it.

In addition, sarcasm really fails to come across in text, and I have to re-read my posts all the time to weed out any remarks I've made that might come across as rude to someone who doesn't realize I'm only joking. It's a hard habit to break, for sure.

:hug:

oh, and also, sometimes when I read some things the UK geeks say, they could literally be speaking Mandarin because I have no. freaking. clue. what they've written. :|

Sarcasam is very hard to to put in text, I can be very sarcastic but 99% of the time it's in jest, it's part of my personailty but in RL it's accompanied by a cheeky smile which makes a difference.

There are also a lot of people ( any nationality!) who just don't get sarcasam. Myself and my hubbie often come across as being a very mean towards each other but it's the total opposite! We take the p**s out of each other all the time and there is never any malice in it. However outsiders see it differently.

I know I went off on a slight tangent, but I'm hoping at least one person got what I mean!

I tend to gravitate towards Americans. My last two ex's are lol

That said, I have, on ocassion, found myself offended by things some of the UK geeks say. I know they certainly don't mean to be offensive, but I had no idea what some of their terms meant.

This said, I have a great example. I spent a month in Argentina when I was 17 and halfway through the trip, some of the locals we were staying with literally sat us down and asked us to stop being so rude to each other. We had no idea what they meant, and they gave us some examples.

We realized they didn't really understand our sarcasm, and when we talked to a few other people, we found out that a ton of people think Canadians are the most sarcastic people they've ever met. We had to try really hard not to keep doing it.

In addition, sarcasm really fails to come across in text, and I have to re-read my posts all the time to weed out any remarks I've made that might come across as rude to someone who doesn't realize I'm only joking. It's a hard habit to break, for sure.

:hug:

oh, and also, sometimes when I read some things the UK geeks say, they could literally be speaking Mandarin because I have no. freaking. clue. what they've written. :|

you mean when we use words like flats, lifts and lollipop men? Lol xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

haha no, I know what those are. I've been watching Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances since I was 7.

I can't think of any words now, and I don't want to single any girls out by going and looking for the posts. The structure of the language they use is different. And I'm like ...................................................... what :| lol

sometimes it's so bad, I don't even reply.

and on that note, I KNOW ALL BRITS ARENT LIKE THIS, but I watched Geordie Shore and literally had to put the closed captioning on, because I couldn't understand two words.

Sarcasam is very hard to to put in text, I can be very sarcastic but 99% of the time it's in jest, it's part of my personailty but in RL it's accompanied by a cheeky smile which makes a difference.

There are also a lot of people ( any nationality!) who just don't get sarcasam. Myself and my hubbie often come across as being a very mean towards each other but it's the total opposite! We take the p**s out of each other all the time and there is never any malice in it. However outsiders see it differently.

I know I went off on a slight tangent, but I'm hoping at least one person got what I mean!

I do, my mum cannot get sarcasm at all. She gets mad if I try and pull her leg about stuff. When I was with my ex, we would say sarcastic things to each other and she would tell ME off for being horrible to him. It used to get right on my wick because she would spoil the fun. She's a kill joy, but I still love her lol.

I anglophiled a few of those phrases up, just for our friend eskimo, bless her ;-) x

haha no, I know what those are. I've been watching Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances since I was 7.

I can't think of any words now, and I don't want to single any girls out by going and looking for the posts. The structure of the language they use is different. And I'm like ...................................................... what :| lol

and on that note, I KNOW ALL BRITS ARENT LIKE THIS, but I watched Geordie Shore and literally had to put the closed captioning on, because I couldn't understand two words.

Pmsl, if you can find him on youtube. Look up rab. C. Nesbitt. He's technically scottish, but still part of the uk. If you thonk Geordie Shore is bad, wait until you hear him x

haahahahahah oh lordy. no, your posts have always been fine. i'll give an example.

"i am gon pop round 2 the shop l8r up the road n grab me sum chocies n chips. me tummy grumblin n i havn had a spot ta eat 2day!"

that's partly terrible spelling and such, but it took me forever to realize the difference between chips and chips lol

I'm Irish and even I need subtitles for Geordies!

Pmsl, if you can find him on youtube. Look up rab. C. Nesbitt. He's technically scottish, but still part of the uk. If you thonk Geordie Shore is bad, wait until you hear him x

Oh my gawd Rab C. Never had a clue what he as on about LOL

I used to work with a guy from Tyrone, a gentle giant but for 7 years I never understood a sigle word the poor guy said!

The only way I can explain it, is like the people on here type the way russell brand speaks.

It blows my mind lol. I used to work with a brit girl, and I saw her yesterday and we were talking about a good looking guy I had seen and she said maybe he'll be out in the car park and I had to do a double take. I was like ...pardon? lol

I do, my mum cannot get sarcasm at all. She gets mad if I try and pull her leg about stuff. When I was with my ex, we would say sarcastic things to each other and she would tell ME off for being horrible to him. It used to get right on my wick because she would spoil the fun. She's a kill joy, but I still love her lol.

I anglophiled a few of those phrases up, just for our friend eskimo, bless her ;-) x

Yay someone who knows where I'm coming from! My hubbie calls me chunky and things like that and others get offended ( I'm an ickle person who can get away with kids clothes!)

haahahahahah oh lordy. no, your posts have always been fine. i'll give an example.

"i am gon pop round 2 the shop l8r up the road n grab me sum chocies n chips. me tummy grumblin n i havn had a spot ta eat 2day!"

that's partly terrible spelling and such, but it took me forever to realize the difference between chips and chips lol

Even I struggled with that one, thats just a total meltdown of the english language and I cannot bear to see it. It hurts my eyes.
I do, on rare occasions, use the odd abbreviation, but not to that extent. I see it a lot on Facebook and like yourself, I don't even read half of it, let alone reply.

That probably makes me sound like some kind of snob, but I guess I can't please everyone. C'est la vie!
X

Is "cockney" a rude thing to say?

Even I struggled with that one, thats just a total meltdown of the english language and I cannot bear to see it. It hurts my eyes.
I do, on rare occasions, use the odd abbreviation, but not to that extent. I see it a lot on Facebook and like yourself, I don't even read half of it, let alone reply.

That probably makes me sound like some kind of snob, but I guess I can't please everyone. C'est la vie!
X

I don't do text talk, I don't care what nationality you are! I understand typos, I can't decipher text talk a lot of the time.

Not unless it comes before an insult. Cockney is just another dialect from the london area (east end I think)
There's a whole other language of cockney rhyming slang

Some examples are
Up the apples and pears (stairs)
Hank marvin (starving)
Fergal sharkeys (car keys)
Queen mum (bum/ass)

its a very strange old place is england lol x

Not unless it comes before an insult. Cockney is just another dialect from the london area (east end I think)

Some examples are
Hank marvin (starving)
Queen mum (bum/ass)

Ruby Murray (curry)

My sis actually uses this having being no further than Anfield 'I'm Ruby' meaning I'm drunk need food and curry sounds good :)

Needless to say she is a born and bred dub.......... I blame Eastenders LOL

Ruby Murray (curry)

My sis actually uses this having being no further than Anfield 'I'm Ruby' meaning I'm drunk need food and curry sounds good :)

Needless to say she is a born and bred dub.......... I blame Eastenders LOL

Lol yes Eastenders has a lot to answer for x

Nope! It's a used term 'cockney slang'. 'Cock' however can be rude :)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some examples are
Hank marvin (starving)
Queen mum (bum/ass)

HAHA WHAT?!?!! that's crazy.

I don't think Canadians have too many random phrases like that. I do actually fit into the painful toque wearing Canadian stereotype in that I say "Eh" a lot. Most Americans know I'm Canadian when they meet me, because I supposedly have an accent. hmmm

Latest posts

Back