Are you happy with the number of customers you have?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzie01895

Reaction score
I have been doing nails for just over a year now and all I can say is there is so much to learn! - I started off (probably like a lot of you), with not very good training, becoming disappointed that "I couldnt seem to do it" - before I came across this website and paid to do the 4 day foundation course with Creative nails, which I have to say was worth every penny that I paid. I think the back up service is great and have actually gone on to spend quite a bit more in Creative Nails and invested in an airbrushing tanning system and airbrushed nails. I now know, that I want to be in this business full time and give up my day time job (I can hear loads of you saying the same thing!) - I have invested (well borrowed on the credit card) to have my garage converted into a mini salon, which is fantastic - so - it all sounds great, so what is the problem?? - CUSTOMERS - where do you get them from? - I have tried leaflet drops, I have stood outside of schools and handed out leaflets, I have spend quite a bit on adverts (only attracting a pervert! - but thats another story!) yet, the only customers I seem to be getting is through word of mouth. Now I agree, that this is the best way of getting customers, but this is not happening quick enough for me. A couple of months ago I decided that I needed to come into contact with new people that were interested in spending money on looking after themselves (you can never tell with leaflet drops, which is why they are not so successful), so I joined Virgin Cosmetics to do just that. I now meet up to 30 new, potential customers a week! - I am my own advert - I ensure that I have a tan and my nails are done and I have a captive audience for around 2 hours, so I can tell them what I do and they can actually see for themselves (as well as making a good amount of extra money!) what I can do! - this has been so successful for me (especially the tanning), because when I talk about spray tanning, and I get comments about looking tangoed - I say "do I look orange" - they then all say - "no" - thats it then, they are convinced. You all know that when they are through the door once, they are hooked! I am now using all the extra money from Virgin to pay off the credit card - and will be earning enough to give up my full time job in March 05 - I CANT WAIT!!

Sorry to seem dense, but how does the Virgin Cosmetics thing work?
Is it just that you are holding Virgin Cosmetic parties and then talking about your own services at the same time?
And am I right in thinking that Virgin parties are similar to say, Ann Summers or Body Shop or Tuppewear parties? So you are getting paid to do Virgin parties but managing to get customers for your own business at the same time? Is there any outlay for you in the beginning?
It seems like a good idea to me that you are getting an income in whilst at the same time having a direct 'feed' to the kind of women who are more likely to become your customers, I've just always wondered how much money people actually make from these evenings as I've had so many friends who've gone to them just for a laugh or to make up numbers, and I'm sure the poor rep has gone away with no orders at all.
I'd love to know how you make it work.
Lol x

I used to do Ann Summers and I used to make around £150 for about 2-3 hours

Hi - YES IT REALLY DOES WORK! - I feel so excited by this, which is why I put the post up. You must know yourself how hard it is to get new customers, when you are handing out leaflets, you try to make a snap judgement as to whether they would be interested or not? - well this way, everyone (or nearly everyone!) who attends a Virgin Cosmetics party is looking to spend money on themselves, which means they are more likely to spend money on doing their nails and having a tan done! - if you look good, then they can imagine how it will look on them. Now dont get me wrong - I dont spend 2 hours talking about my services - BUT - I do TELL them and SHOW them, and give out my leaflets and business card AND TELL THEM if I have any promotions on. As for how much money I make, well I make a minimum of £50 per party (for an average spend), but now it is xmas, it is going up all the time (the most so far from 1 party) was £130 commission - for 3 1/2 hours work. I find that it works so well for me, that I will be able to give up my day job in March of next year. My diary is always full, and I know now xmas is coming, I will not be able to fit everyone in! But I have to say, the best thing of all - is that I LOVE WHAT I DO! - I didnt think I would ever be able to say that, it is such a good feeling!

Hi you sound like your having a great time, it a great idea you've come up with to get your name out there! and get paid for it, it defo something to think about to get going l'm really pleased for you! Angie

hi suzie, this all sounds amazing as im mobile and like you have done leaflet drops but not got much success is there a website i can go on and have a look at or someone i can phone.
im very interested.
zoe

my best mate is a ann summers rep. i do her nails. at her parties she gives everyone a bag with sweets, catalogue, order form, and a leaflet for my company. I also give her a 10% discount voucher for the hostess, and at christmas i give her gift vouchers for the raffle.

i still feel i want more customers tho, most of these people come for a special one off set, but dont want their nails done all the time. So i want to rent a station in a local hairdressers one day a week as well as my mobile so i can get more walk ins, before i open my own salon.

most people who come to me from recommendations from friends say it was the website that pushed them too book as they could see different things i did, and see my prices before they phoned me. i would say a website is good for that you can put posters up in shops etc, and tell everyone in bold letters to veiw your site. most people have broad band or soumthing now so they as such have free access to the internet so whilst surfing they will have a look in, and hey presto you got some one interested.

I have found since I added tanning to my services, I have increased my customer base and now that I am out there meeting new people all the time (ladies who want to spend money on themselves) - I am a walking advert - its great!

Hi Suzie

I have and airbrush system that I got for xmas last year and I still have not touched it.
Im a bit scared of cleaning the airbrush, I also bought the tanning airbrush with the soloution, but have not tried that.

What system do you use that is not orange as I have a salon and can not afford to make a mistake. Also do you tell them to exfoliate the day before and no moisturiser on the day, I really want to get on with is as I have a few people interested.

Just dont want the orange look.

Hi Suzie,

I'm glad you have been having a good response by being a Virgin Vie Rep.

I saw an advert in the local paper a number of months ago now, and did think that this could be good, as I like the make up and also, like you, could promote my little business at the same time.

I never did it in the end as I felt that working all day, then doing parties some evenings and also working away at my business would be too much.

However, the money sounds good and I need some of that too, to pay my visa bill off!

I'll maybe have a re-think :biggrin:

Nothing ventured nothing gained - you will not regret it - I have just come back from doing a party, 3 hrs work (if you can call it that) £70 - 4 more bookings for parties (worth a min of £50 each), 1 tan booked (£20) - a one to one - (she will buy makeup), recruited an angel - worth loads, cos she does the work, you get the commission - not a bad nights work!

use Su-do - it is fantastic - non orange - dont be scared, you are losing BIG money!

Latest posts

Back