Are you ready?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trained many years ago & worked in a salon whilst training at a beauty school. My boss put me in at the deep end as soon as I had completed each training section.
Fast forward a few years & I had my own salon employing two therapists. Their college training left a lot to be desired so I retrained them up to the standard I needed.
I think the courses available vary greatly in standards so it is always great to get as much experience as possible. In this industry we must continually update our skills. ☺

Thank you or that @Minkeybox. Yes we run refresher courses. Waxing is one of the most popular and we teach industry expectations, timings and standards.

PM me if you'd like more information to anyone interested!

Vic x
If only you were closer to Hereford :)

You are very welcome! Your posts are always so well thought out & informative, training with you must be a blast!

Industry expectations is one of the hardest things to fathom when you start. Its all well and good being shown the practical side but theres still room for self doubt to creep in bouncing ideas off another therapist always helps :) xx
Thank you -that's lovely to hear x

I'm a nail newbe, and no I didn't feel ready at all :/ I looked into doing nvq at the local collages as that was what I wanted to do but non were doing them as they didn't have enough interest. I am completely new to everything nails as the only thing I have ever done is put on normal polish myself and never been to a salon. I paid for training through a non branded company but the 4 days duration seems to of been the standard. It was a very steep learning curve for me and found it a lot to take in over a short period of time. There were some things that we were told how to do but never shown eg. backfill/infill, removal of gel polish & uv hard gel & acrylics, and hand masks. I didn't know any brands or what was popular as we used non branded products. we were not given any advice about where to obtain essentials or products from and how to go about obtaining clients or work out expensses or pricing structure, which from what I can gather this advice is given with branded providers. If I could turn the clock back I would of saved up longer and gone with a brand. I have insurance and have set up some space at home but only had a couple of clients and unsure where to go from here. No positions available locally in salons and getting no interest. Feeling like it was a waste of money, time and effort.

I certainly wasn't ready after my first gel nails course although I expected to be. I was mobile, had no computer then so hadn't even discovered SG!! So stumbled and blundered through alone before booking more training and learnt acrylic as well.

I was ready in terms of the public as id spent years working in reception/secretarial posts. I'd worked in sales so that kind of helped too and I'd done a small amount of book keeping so was ok there too.

But the actual nails .... I'm sure they weren't very good looking back. I crashed my car on the first day I had a proper paying client [emoji21]

12 years and several courses on, I feel very confident but. STILL get sooooo nervous with new clients, really really nervous. Then normally they've been in about 5 mins and I relax completely! What's the matter with me!?

I really really believe that 'feeling ready' and confident with clients and your treatments comes with practice practice practice! When I finished college, I knew the basics which was great (totally agree about being taught outdated techniques however!), went self employed and have done additional courses in specific treatments since then. No matter how great your training is, I really think that the more you carry it out on 'real clients' ie, friends and family, or paying clients, that will be what makes you feel truly ready. In the past when I've done a course, the certificate says I can carry out the treatment, but I'm still nervous doing it at the beginning, but I 'fake it till I make it' hehe!

The thing that concerns me most is so many people are not practicing whilst training, I see a lot of self doubting and people blaming their education (not meaning anyone specific it's just general) most girls on my course felt the same too, I'm the only one from my group who actually went on to do hair for a job!

I had passion tho, drive & a real want to learn, I watched every video available, read every website, joined every group & watched my peers like a hawk! I learned 3 different colour lines in my first year in college, all had a different number system.
I had a salon job alongside college, I worked my placement day & a Saturday & every holiday off from college id go into the salon for free. I did mobile from week 1 of level 1, granted I had no insurance but each time I learned something I'd go try it out on friends & family, I learned by making mistakes, I coloured way before I'd learned the wheel! As soon as I'd been shown application techniques I was on it! I never charged much but the hair I turned out at first was pretty rough lol, each time tho I'd learn from a mistake & by the end of my level 1 I had a good mobile round going.

Point of the story your ready when you have hours under your belt & faith that your ready, if you think your not then your probably going to fluff it and fall to jelly each time a challenge faces you, practice makes perfect & if you've only done training and no actual hands on experience then your probably not ready lol
I like your point pretty much straight to the point! I have friends and family come over to me or I go over to them ever week. I practiced loads and still carry on practicing until I am happy with my work. I agree you can't just go to college ,get a certificate then expect to be great! It takes time. I have been practicing treatments at home since September and will carry on too ( even if I get real client's).

Latest posts

Back