Are you Shellacking sucessfully? If not read on .....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
After reading several threads/posts, etc. about Shellac problems, I feel the need to start this thread. I've been using Shellac since May, AS DIRECTED, and have had NO problems, whatsoever!

The only 'problem' is my BFF. She won't use her solar oil and literally peeled the Shellac off her nails. Now, she feels Shellac damaged her nails. Ummmm...I'm thinking it was peeling off the Shellac that 'damaged' her nails.

Also, the salon I used to work at is having MAJOR 'problems' with Shellac. They do NOT have the CND lamp, are mixing systems and do NOT do a proper prep.

For those having difficulties:

Do you have and use the CND/BRISA lamp?
Are you doing a proper and thorough prep?
Are you doing a water soak mani? If so, don't!
Are you shaking your Shellac?
Are you applying thin coats?
Are you keeping a THIN margin at the eponychium?
Are you using the proper 'tools' properly, ie: scrubfresh for cleansing the nailplate/99% alcohol for removing the inhibition layer?

I've attached the link to the CND website's Shellac procedures.
http://www.cnd.com/Tools-Support/PDF/Step-by-Steps/4974_ShellacSBSUpdate.pdf

I just want everyone to have as much success with Shellac as I do.

HTH! :hug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and link - will find it useful as I have just taken Shellac on in my salon

xx

Thanks for the info and link - will find it useful as I have just taken Shellac on in my salon

xx
Deb, there is no end of help for free on the CND website and you tube as well as this site.

The people using Shellac as it is meant to be used are not having anymore then the usual things you get with all clients who may pick, not do any aftercare etc. Just follow all advice and have fun and watch your business grow.

It sticks in my throat when I see threads about 'problems' and then one finds out that so many are mixing brands, using wrong solutions from other sources, wrong lamps yada yada yada .. when will people learn that they really do not know or understand, should not listen to other techs but follow manufacturers' advice. And that goes for every brand, not just Shellac ... for these posts are all over the site across the board.

Last edited:

Are you using the proper 'tools' properly, ie: scrubfresh for cleansing the nailplate/99% alcohol for removing the inhibition layer?

There is a chamelion Forum I go to and as they seem to get people come on and ask the same question or have the exact same problem's with there chams again and agin (totaly by coinsidence its normaly there UV light to blame , not a nail light though lol)
basicly now when a new chamelion owner comes on and ask a question they are met with a copy and pasted responce for them to fill in before anyone will help them maybe this is the kind of thing thats needed? with the questions you just asked? , like you and many others I dont have any issues but I tick the right boxes on your questions,

this is the sticky they have, they also copy / paste it if people dont read the sticky,

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Why oh why do some people find it impossible to follow the directions on the bottle/ tin/ web site/
It's not just Shellac, that's just a perfect example to use.
I use quiet a few different product brands
But I wouldn't dream of mixing them:eek:
See, for me it comes down to money. I don't have any to waste, so when I buy something that promises to give me a great result, I follow the 'how to' to the letter.
Shellac, well before using it the closest I'd got to a u.v. lamp was when Angel fingers did my Christmas nails a couple of years back.
So I listened very carefully to what I was told, asked Natural nails and Valencia nails loads of questions, they were sat next to me, and all of us asked questions of the educators as they went around the room.
I have not had a single problem with this product and to me it totally beggers belief that anyone would make the investment, advertise that they've got it and then throw all that profit out the window, ruin their rep with their clients and then, blame the product:eek:
Anyone else hate it when people make that comment, 'well she didn't get on well at school, I suppose she could be a nail tech:irked:
Ok, rant over and thank you to the thread starter for the info and the link.
To anyone not useing Shellac yet, it's easier to do it the right way then the wrong way:confused:

Great thread Deanosnana, I'm really glad you started this, as I'm fed up with threads about people having so many problems with Shellac, only to discover, they aren't following manufacturers guidelines.

What makes me so annoyed, is, the poor clients that pay good money for what they think is a Shellac service and they are getting ripped off!!

Then, they go on to tell their friends that they've had loads of problems with Shellac, when it's the lazy nail tech's fault and nothing to do with Shellac.

This is my business and I want to give my clients 100%, so I follow the guidelines I was given and bought the Shellac lamp, even though, like many many other techs I have about 4 lamps already.

I'm very happy to report, I've been using Shellac since its launch here in Ireland and have been and continue to be very successful with it.

Last edited:
Used as directed, this is what Shellac can do for you. These are my nails. After the Christmas tree 'incident' in November (don't ask...LOL), I bit them down to the quick. OUCH, indeed!

Three weeks ago, I smoothed the rough edges. Two weeks ago this coming Saturday, I Shellac'd them, 1x base, 1x Negligee and 1x top coat. I now have a FREE EDGE! No chipping (I didn't seal the FE, either), no peeling, no lifting...nothing but nice (not perfect) nails. Just think how cute they'll be in a few more weeks. :)

Attachments

• 100_1220.jpg
    100_1220.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 391

xx

You're welcome!

You will LOVE Shellac and your clients will love YOU for using it. :)

I've very happy to report, I've been using Shellac since its launch here in Ireland and have been and continue to be very successful with it.
Snap :green:

I never understand those techs who use items that aren't part of the recommended system, then complain that they have a problem...

umm, is it a problem with the product or the FACT that they aren't using it as it was intended to be used?! It's a no brainer really :wink2:

Great thread ! Hopefully folk would get the message!

What annoys me the most is:

No, we can't infill shellac!
No, we can't sculpt with it on forms!
No, we can't e-file it off!

There is this person in Edinburgh who keeps doing all three of those. Get a grip! We have such a great bunch of girls at Fingetips who always there to help and help us to get it right! Just bloody ask.

People in the Gyle - if you can't apply French with Shellac - simply don't do it! If it wrinkles, you can clearly see it on the nail, and no, nothing wrong with clients eyes! Do it properly or don't do it at all!

Wonky hands is not an excuse to shout about how bad is the product. Lack of listening and reading isn't either.

Rant over!

Sorry girls ;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

Hi,

Just felt I had to stick my oar in on this one.

I am not trained yet, but I find it irresponsible not to mention stupid that some "technicians" are quite prepared to use a product without using the correct procedure, or equipment, then wonder why it does not work properly. Do they not realise what damage they could unwittingly be doing to their client. Pay for proper education and you won't have any clients suing you.

I, for one, will not put my future clients at risk by doing something the incorrect way.

Do it properly or not at all.

Feel better now!!!

Tracey:)

After reading several threads/posts, etc. about Shellac problems, I feel the need to start this thread. I've been using Shellac since May, AS DIRECTED, and have had NO problems, whatsoever!

The only 'problem' is my BFF. She won't use her solar oil and literally peeled the Shellac off her nails. Now, she feels Shellac damaged her nails. Ummmm...I'm thinking it was peeling off the Shellac that 'damaged' her nails.

Also, the salon I used to work at is having MAJOR 'problems' with Shellac. They do NOT have the CND lamp, are mixing systems and do NOT do a proper prep.

Amen!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Brilliant thread. I had a couple of problems with my first 2 sets (only on myself) but I just kept reading through this site and the instructions over and over, I realised I was missing things - that I had not thought of/hadnt noticed I was doing differently.

I quickly changed and then everything went smoothly. I will never under-estimate the importance of doing it to the letter.

I am now a happy shellac lady! :)

Brilliant Thread..!!

I have used Shellac since day 1 and I have had NO problems with it AT ALL.
The only problems I have had are the client's problem and not at all Shellac the product.
I also don't understand why there are constantly 'Shellac problem threads' on here either.

My Shellac is stored correctly.
I have the correct CND lamp.
I check my bulbs.
I use Shellac colours with Shellac base coat and top coat.
I clean and make sure my brush is free of fluff and lint.
I apply thin and fast.
I shake my Shellac bottles.
I use the recommended solutions.
I don't have shaky hands.

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS......!!

:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I understand what everyone is saying about following manufacturers instructions and I have done this...to the letter!!! However I have had a couple of clients that have found their Shellac has peeled right off in a whole peice? I have racked my brain trying to think what the problem can be? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I am beginning to lose my confidence in what I first thought was a great product.x

If it's only happening to a few clients, it's NOT you! There are just some people (my BFF for one) who can't wear anything on their nails.

What do these clients do for a living? Are they on meds? Do they have any chronic conditions/diseases, ie: diabetes? Do they think Shellac will act like a gel and treat their nails accordingly?

Shellac IS a great product but not every product is suited for every client.

HTH! :)

Last edited:
If it's only happening to a few clients, it's NOT you! There are just some people (my BFF for one) who can't wear anything on their nails.

What do these clients do for a living? Are they on meds? Do they have any chronic conditions/diseases, ie: diabetes? Do they think Shellac will act like a gel and treat their nails accordingly?

Shellac IS a great product but not ever product is suited for every client.

HTH! :)
I completely agree there.....also a client may well tell you it came off itself when the fact is it had a helping hand from the client...if you know what i mean!!

I can sincerely say that i can answer yes to every question that was asked at the top of the thread,and i have had no problems whatsoever!

Where can I buy the Shellac products? I have read so many positive posts about it, and I really want to try doing them from home. I've seen the courses on the sweet squared website which are soooooo expensive and I can't really afford. The instructions look very straightforward, but no idea where to buy the products? Advice please!

Thanks

Gemma x

Where can I buy the Shellac products? I have read so many positive posts about it, and I really want to try doing them from home. I've seen the courses on the sweet squared website which are soooooo expensive and I can't really afford. The instructions look very straightforward, but no idea where to buy the products? Advice please!

Thanks

Gemma x

You need to register with Sweet Squared to be able to buy Shellac, they are the UK distributors for all CND including Shellac. Give them a ring on Monday and fax your certificates through then they will open you an account.

Hth's

Thanks huni thats really helpful! I'll give them a call Monday :)

Do I need to do a training course with them aswell does anyone know?

Gemma x

Latest posts

Back