argggghhh

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loo

Reaction score
sorry but had to post how annoying is it when a client cancels and leaves a message on your answer phone half an hour before her appointment is due. I just wanted to get some feed back here. She actually said she couldn't make it to the appointment on time as she had been out on a work jolly the night before and she would call me. I guess that means she wants to re-book but do you think I should charge a cancellation fee It does state on my price booklett that a 25% charge will be made for appointments cancelled or missed after a 24 hour notice period. However she is a fairly new client and I dont want to sound mean and scare her off as I'm building up my own business I need to keep all my clients. What do you think? I think its really bad that she only rang half an hour before her appointment. :rolleyes: :mad:

Hi Loo,

I know it is annoying when people do this at the last minute, but hey at least she rang - some just dont turn up.

I have very mixed opinions on the cancellation thing. If a new customer cancels at the last minute and then never comes again how do you inflict a cancellation charge?

I also have the opposite issue - as lots of nail technicians are mums with young children - what if something happens with us, we are unwell, or the children are unwell and we have to rearrange appointments - do we have to give discounts on appointments.

I personally think there needs to be a bit of give and take on this. If you have a full book with a waiting list then yes the clients need to know that if they want your service they need to commit to appointments or risk being charged for cancellations.

As a new person starting a business it would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face a little - you dont want to upset people and scare them off but equally you dont want to be made a mug of.

It is very difficult to get the balance right.

mmmm I agree with you there it is very difficult to know what to do and you made some very valid points. The problem is that I also offer other treatments as I do beauty therapy as well and currently do the business part time by appointment only so there is limited space for clients at the moment as I am becomming very busy with in fill appointments and I could have filled the space up had I known earlier. However as she has only just started comming to me should I just let her off and tell her that I will not charge her this time? Or should I charge the percentage adding it on to her next bill at her appointment???? :|

loo said:
mmmm I agree with you there it is very difficult to know what to do and you made some very valid points. The problem is that I also offer other treatments as I do beauty therapy as well and currently do the business part time by appointment only so there is limited space for clients at the moment as I am becomming very busy with in fill appointments and I could have filled the space up had I known earlier. However as she has only just started comming to me should I just let her off and tell her that I will not charge her this time? Or should I charge the percentage adding it on to her next bill at her appointment???? :|
I would be inclined to let her off this time and explain to her your cancellation charge. This way you are making her aware without alienating her. Like Fiona said, it's a very fine line you have to tread.

Adele:|

loo said:
should I just let her off and tell her that I will not charge her this time? Or should I charge the percentage adding it on to her next bill at her appointment???? :|

This is what I would do!

I would call her and rebook the appointment and then do just that ... add it to the bill. When or if she queries this then explain that it is clearly written on your salon price list and you expected her to be aware that this would be the result.

It's not as if she didn't come because of an emergency situation ... she just didn't feel like it and it cost you money. You don't need clients that cost you money.

I would not be soft about this. Whether you are new or not. You are in business to make money not to have people cost you money. If she doesn't come again then good ridance. If this is the way she has started with you, then she will do it again unless you take a firm stand now.

Hiya

I think all of the above have made good points i do however sympathize with you, i think it all comes down to the kind of person you are, its hard to be hard, but unfortunetly there are times you have to be. Make it a point in future to point out your cancellation charge, then if they cancel you know it wont be a "suprise" on their next bill. You have to value your time and as such make them value it. As someone mentioned it wasnt an emergency and she did know she was going out so she could have cancelled the day before?? Go with how you feel but do be firm................. ;)
GOOD LUCK.............. :p

Hi
I have my cancellation fee structure printed on the consultation form/client record. So they have all signed something that says they understand the cancellation fees. I also have these fees printed on the back of the appointment cards.

I have often felt guilty about charging clients, but I always do unless it is something really awful that has kept them away. When I'm charging them I keep my business-woman head on :) and not my mummy-head. How would they like it if they got to work one day and were told they were not needed for the next two hours and they would not be paid for it?

My salon is very busy, I always have a "Call me if you have a cancellation list", so if a client gives me 24 hours notice it is absolutely no problem. Its the "No Shows" that drive me absolutely mad - its so rude :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back