Aromatherapy massages when pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could give advice regarding being a massage therapist in a salon or spa when pregnant regarding when they told their employer to protect themselves from causing harm. I am not currently pregnant but plan on trying soon and the main concern I have is the use of aromatherapy oils as these are a popular treatment used nearly daily. We use a variety of pre blended oil options and each type contains at least one oil that can be harmful. I know they are most dangerous early on in pregnancy and so I may not know I'm pregnant yet when carrying out the treatments and even then it would mean telling my employer before 12 weeks.

it is a dilemma, and of course your condition will be a contra indication. I woud explain to the spa manager your intention to conceive and take it from there.
I don't always use aromatherapy oils for massage , there are ways around it. Sometimes the client has a nut allergy and therefore I use E45 like my physio does when I need massage.
Kaeso do a beautiful facial massage cream that smells of tutti fruitti and is divine. So think outside the box and imform your boss. She has a duty of care to you too. I am sure there are body massage creams too that you could use instead.

Plain oil and probably Cammomile ess oil maybe all you can use safely at first. ( certainly not pre blended so that you use the smallest amount ) However if you are using even that daily it is a risk to your health. I wouldn't even use my after wax lotion containing tea tree and lavender on my pregnant ladies...it is not a risk i want to take. Hope that helps you out.

I had my babies before i studied the aromatherapy diploma so I did not have your concern , but your health comes first. Hopefully another geek that has been in your situation may have some furher guidance for you
Good luck

Thanks for your advice. I think it is probably best to tell my manager first then and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back