Articles in womens magazines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
I was sat reading my Glossy after shopping today.. every week i buy a magazine, and usually its NW or WHO, every second week its VOGUE or COSMO

I love the HAIR, HEALTH AND BEAUTY sections.. and for the first time i wondered why they didn't have a nails section. even if it came under Beauty it would still be nice.

I decided to do a bit of research, and most of the time if they were giving advice re beauty hair or health, they would include a picture of a celebrity.. and every celebrity picture that i could see the hands of also had either Enhanced nails or manicured hands..

So why not include a simple section offering advice on new seasons colours for nails, or shapes of enhancements..Industry leaders, and new product lines.. Information is power after all.. and if we can reach an audience like that, well i believe could only be beneficial.

I know we have scratch and nails magazines, but unless you are a tech or have a passion for nails it doesn't really reach Joan Public in the way the Gossip mags do.

IE, when discussing that curls were in this season, on a side note, in captions was a professional hairdresser recommending getting a trim every 6 to 8 weeks to keep shape and avoid split ends, and to discuss what products will work best with their stylist

Imagine if we had that?? I mean I was sold.. I immediately wanted a lush head of curls..

for instance... perhaps a picture of Rhianna or Lady Gaga sporting her minx nails and a bit of advice on where to get them, or recommending black short manicured fingernails for this winters season (example)

I apologise if in your area (country) they have this included in your magazines, but sadly The magazines i read do not.. and i read a lot.

So i guess I am asking, what would you advise the best way to start campaigning for Magazines to recognise the Nail Industry...and perhaps give us a bit of page space??

Just a thought...:!:

Speaking for CND UK I know that Samantha meets every couple of months with the editors of the major magazines in London and therefore, CND get allot of coverage through that and through CND huge participation in London, New York, Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks etc. But it wouldn't happen without a considerable expenditure budget for PR.

Most companies will not spend the money for PR which is why you do not see their products in the consumer magazines. For instance the CND team is now known and loved by all the major designers and they ask for them at every Fashion week. It is manic sometimes doing 30-40 shows.

It takes many years to build up relationships with the consumer magazines and Beauty editors and within the fashion industry. If you don't give you don't get with PR.

The big consumer companies like Revlon and others get mentioned because they advertise.

MINX has got allot of press through celebrities wearing Minx. Really allot.

I read loads of glossys and I can think of only one that mentions nails (well it did the last couple of times!) it's called Look magazine (I think, I read so many!) But I remember a bit recomending a coloured gel overlay, and saying you would have to go back to your tech for maintenance, it gave a number to call for your nearest tech that does it but I can't remember which company it was, it may have been CND. There were a few other pro treatments they recomended but I can't remember them. I'll have to have a dig to see if I still have it....(bugging me now!)

But yeah, most just give you tips on caring for your own nails or what coloured polishes are "in"

Speaking for CND UK I know that Samantha meets every couple of months with the editors of the major magazines in London

Wow! what a glamourous job! Does she ever feature in the beauty sections giving advice on nail care?

Just looking in Company Magazine for May, and it mentions a 3 week manicure from nails inc. Says a polish is applied then sealed with gel cured under a uv lamp, takes 40 minutes costs £50 and to go on their web site. So thats one little bit that recomends going to a professional?

Just looking in Company Magazine for May, and it mentions a 3 week manicure from nails inc. Says a polish is applied then sealed with gel cured under a uv lamp, takes 40 minutes costs £50 and to go on their web site.

The 3 week manicure is a bio sculpture overlay, either french or colour.x

Wow! what a glamourous job! Does she ever feature in the beauty sections giving advice on nail care?

She has done, yes. But believe me it is not as glamorous as you might think! lol But sometimes it is!

Glamorous??? You ought to ask the team that does Fashion Week if govelling around on the floor and being in other uncomfortable posititons doing nails and feet while the models are being made up is glamourous!! Bless them they are all so fabaroony!! I'll tell you what ... you need to be young to do it. :eek: That lets me out thank God. :green:

Speaking for CND UK I know that Samantha meets every couple of months with the editors of the major magazines in London and therefore, CND get allot of coverage through that and through CND huge participation in London, New York, Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks etc. But it wouldn't happen without a considerable expenditure budget for PR.

MINX has got allot of press through celebrities wearing Minx. Really allot.

sounds like we need more Samantha's out there pushing!! :green:

I see what your saying, but i still think it would be a great idea to put some more FOCUS on nail care.. there is a lack of it in my opinion.

I know Minx have had alot of press.. even my kids notice their nails, but they dont really know what they are!! its just a WOW.. but if they knew where to get it and what they were...:idea:

sounds like we need more Samantha's out there pushing!! :green:

I see what your saying, but i still think it would be a great idea to put some more FOCUS on nail care.. there is a lack of it in my opinion.

I know Minx have had alot of press.. even my kids notice their nails, but they dont really know what they are!! its just a WOW.. but if they knew where to get it and what they were...:idea:

I agree, we'd all like even more focus on nails.

The thing is (and this is the truth) manicures are kind of boring to write about and the beauty editors will NOT push enhancement services because all they hear about (and have experienced in many cases) is damage to natural nails. Now as unpalatable as that may seem, it is the truth. Good nail techs that do not damage nails are few and far between and the editors feel they just can't recommend consumers to get their nails done. Sad isn't it?

I agree, we'd all like even more focus on nails.

The thing is (and this is the truth) manicures are kind of boring to write about and the beauty editors will NOT push enhancement services because all they hear about (and have experienced in many cases) is damage to natural nails. Now as unpalatable as that may seem, it is the truth. Good nail techs that do not damage nails are few and far between and the editors feel they just can't recommend consumers to get their nails done. Sad isn't it?

extremely sad.. which is perhaps why more focus needs to be put on enhancements.. If people know that the NN needs not be damaged they may think twice about where they go.

I wonder then why they are ready to suggest supermarket hair colours, when we all know the damage they can do.. perhaps its because , as you pinted out, the makers of said products can afford to advertise!

I guess its a catch 22..

I'd LOVE to see more attention paid to nails in magazines, but appreciate what Geeg is saying about PR.

It was reading fashion magazines in the 1990s and seeing the work of people like Marion Newman, and alternatives to red/French/pale frosted pink or peach, that first got me interested in my nails - previously I would just paint them the least boring colour I could find in the chemists!

I searched for months to get a blue polish similar to one I saw on Naomi and practised for hours to do a Union Jack manicure that I saw (on Kate Moss perhaps?). That was a period where nails (certainly for colour) seemed to have a bit of a "moment", and the trends were widely embraced by all kinds of women, for example the "Hard Candy" pedicure with each nail being a different pastel colour (LOVED that look! but I used Miss Selfridge and Collection 2000 polishes as a poor teenager).

I'm planning to train as a nail technician (eventually!) and I really hope that I can get people interested in something other than just French manicures/pink and whites.
I am guilty of wearing French myself for weeks on end, I love it, it's classic and I think to do beautiful, natural-looking but better nails, is something that should be every manicurist/nail tech's goal, but I do wish that the mainstream would be a little more adventurous with nails - I rarely see anything that gets me excited in magazines these days. I can't imagine that many people who aren't nail professionals look at Russian websites for inspiration like I do!

I think that there's a whole swathe of women who don't give their nails a thought these days, most of my friends have bitten or neglected nails that they rarely, if ever, paint, never mind pay to have enhancements or whatever. One of my friends recently paid £25 for a manicure and I could have done a better paint job myself.
My mother and her friends all have well-kept hands with immaculate nails, I wonder what's happened to us?

And what was my point? Sorry :( Just got a bit over enthusiastic there. I want to see more nail stuff in magazines!

Latest posts

Back