ASDA/TESCO... Child car spaces!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a mother i couldn't care less if they removed all the mother and baby spaces and made them disabled !

I don't think they are necessary and don't feel i deserve to be able to park closer to the door because i have a child.

I'd rather they be reserved for the elderly
too true! As a mother i do think we are far more capable of walking to the shops entrance than a old 80 year old woman (or man) with arthritic hips etc...and half blind to boot!

When i had to get rid of my car in the UK I had to use the internet ... OMG I wish I'd done it years earlier. I hate food shopping, so having someone doing it for me was magic ... although i did used to get fed up with how some of it was packed, but then I am a fussy packer as my girls will testify!

And I'd have thought for those with children it would be a godsend because having youngsters in tow is a nightmare ... even worse as they get older and starting putting extra bits in the trolley without you noticing!

Don't forget it isn't always elderly people who can't walk etc...

You don't need to be old to have a disable badge...

Internet shopping is great...even greater when I can do my mum's shopping at Sainsbury's from here in Spain...I mean that can't get any cooler can it???? and I don't need to take up a Disabled space doing it for her lol
Plus I get my UK shopping fix right here in my home....:lol:

i completely agree with you Catherine and yes this girl was most likely not disabled but i think the country as a whole need to remember that it's not just the old and those who can't walk that get these badges.
people with mental health problems get them too and also children who could run a mile get them.... but this is not to say they are not disabled. The UK seem to have this thing where a disability is a physical thing ......and with that i will stop before i get onto a rant:lol:

Yes i think these supermarkets should make all the the spaces bigger and put parent and child places anywhere on the car park as long as it has a safe route to the doors which is what i feel is the main reason for using them.

and with that god help me, i'm off to asda now :eek: and it's a saturday!:eek: i must be mad.

my mum is disabled after her head went through the windowscreen.....now if i take her shopping ...we take her badge in my car....i sometimes get a space for disabled....i cannot understand some people having a blue badge without being disabled....they must have took it from someone who is disabled.....i have NEVER taken my mums blue badge to go shopping by myself...the thought has never entered my head....so this girlthat cathrine is on about must be a illegal badge or familys.....

Maybe she wasn't disabled, but we have to remember there are reasons why she may have had a right to park there. The rules for getting a blue badge are actually very strict. My bf had applied earlier and was knocked back by the council. His doctor said it was rediculous (sometimes he can barely walk the length of himself due to his heart problems). He reapplied and was given one.

However, to get back to the girl. She could have a disability which is not seen, eg heart problems like my bf. Although you are not allowed to use someone else's badge for yourself (you can have it taken away from you) , there are reasons why she may not have had a disabled person with her for allowable reasons. You are allowed to use the badge if you are dropping off or picking up someone who is disabled. Perhaps she dropped off her mum (who is disabled) and accompanied her into the store to help her into the motorised wheelchairs available instore. Perhaps she was dropping off her mum and a baby(with the baby having a blue badge as the baby needs medical equipment, eg suction equipment for breathing difficulties).

So, there are a number of reason it might not appear as though she has a right to be parked in the disabled bays, there may have been a very valid reason. Please everyone remember this before you throw dirty looks at someone who doesn't appear to be disabled but is parked in a disabled bay. However, throw all the dirty looks you can manage to someone parked in a bay if they are not displaying a badge! How people can do this and not realise the difficulties they are causing is just beyond me. They might say, oh it was only for a minute (when in fact it usually takes 5/10 minutes to get in and out of a supermarket even to buy a newspaper), but that time might mean that someone like my bf gives up on his shopping trip as he can't find a space close enough to the entrance.
Sorry, rant over!
Marion x

I apologise in advance if this has already been covered. I have not read back the replies.

Regarding disabled spaces I personally never park in them however I see a lot of people whom I PERCEIVE to be able bodied using them.

Sadly I now know from experience NEVER to judge wether or not they are able bodied.

A very good friend of mine had a disabled badge and to anyone looking at her they may have perceived her as able bodied.

She wasn't!!!! She was 31, drove a nifty wee sports car, looked absolutely stunning by taking amazing pride in how she looked(God alone knows what that cost her in effort).

BUT she was dying of cancer!!!!

I do however park in Mother and Child spaces when my children of 11 and 8 are with me (and now and again when they aren't) When my children were little if I got a mother and child space I took it but they were rarely available and to be honest I didn't find that I was disadvantaged if I didn't get one.

Thats true too Martigirl. People who have a life limiting illness like cancer which is killing them are "fast tracked" so they get their badge ASAP. This means, like you say, they may not appear to be disabled, but we can't see what is going on in their bodies.
Marion x

i know exactly what you mean Marion, we had to wait 4 months to receive the blue badge for our son and the day it arrived we went into the shopping center and tried it out only to be shouted at by this women who was pushing her husband in a wheel chair
i couldn't believe it, she was so rude and nasty saying that we were low life, dole seeking scum :eek:.
i mean what does my son have to do? limp out the car just so everyone knows why we are parked in a disabled bay :irked:.

All I can say is INTERNETSHOPPING! No need for parking at all. Far less stress and far less hassle for everyone!
I would love to use this especially just now with my back out but sadly neither Asda or Tesco will deliver out to me as I am to rural:irked:

i know exactly what you mean Marion, we had to wait 4 months to receive the blue badge for our son and the day it arrived we went into the shopping centre and tried it out only to be shouted at by this women who was pushing her husband in a wheel chair
i couldn't believe it, she was so rude and nasty saying that we were low life, dole seeking scum :eek:.
i mean what does my son have to do? limp out the car just so everyone knows why we are parked in a disabled bay :irked:.

My daughter too doesn't look disables as she just has a slight limp but she struggles walking long distances so that is why we use the badge.

I to have had comments from people wanting to know why I am in a disabled space most of the time I tell them is is none of your business and just carry on but recently I did this to some woman who didn't even want to park in the disables space she then went off into the store and told someone I was in the space and shouldn't be!
Low and behold my car number was called over the speakers and I was asked to go and see the manager, so off I went leaving my daughters with my shopping he asked my why I was using a disabled space and did I know it was an offence which I could get fined.

He was the rudest man ever he didn't give me a chance to explain so I told him to follow me outside to my car so I could show him my badge but of course it has my daughters photo on it so I had to go and get her to.

It was so stressful that I left my shopping in the middle of the shop gathered up the girls and left the silly b*****d didn't even apologise:cry:

So to everyone who thinks just because the people in the spaces don't have wheelchairs they aren't entitled to park there just think twice:hug:

i know exactly what you mean Marion, we had to wait 4 months to receive the blue badge for our son and the day it arrived we went into the shopping center and tried it out only to be shouted at by this women who was pushing her husband in a wheel chair

That kind of behaviour is just sickening. I feel so badly that your son would have to face that. Why does someone have to PROVE they deserve their blue badge. You would think in this day in age people, adults no less, would realize you can't always see every disability....

Bottom line, whether we personally think they're needed or not, if a spot is set aside for a purpose, it should be used only for that purpose.
Pretty simple!

I think the reason why the Mother & Child spaces are near to the store is to cut down on the dangers of having to walk thru the car park with small kiddies. Dont forget, they are below the level of most car wings, drivers visibilty, etc, its a safety thing as opposed to a convenience thing. On that note, I have to say that most of the offenders parking in the mum & child spaces at our local supermarket would be young/middle aged women with no children or grown up children, I dont see many men doing it.

I dont agree that disabled drivers should use the mum & child space just because some idiot is taking a space that they should have. If that were the case, mums with kids could argue the reverse. They (the disabled drivers) should make a point of it in the store, kick up a fuss in front of everyone. Go to the manager and ask him why the store is permitting able bodied drivers to park in spaces which have been allocated for disabled drivers. I agree that they shouldnt have to do this, but I'm sure that if it happened just once or twice in front of several customers, the manager would get his finger out and take appropiate measures to stop it happening in future.

Recently I heard a woman on the radio arguing the point that she should be allowed to use the mum & child space because she was rushing home as her neighbour was minding her kids. ??????? Get real!!

and yes, before you all have a go at me, men are very aggressive drivers. lol

Seanny said:
On that note, I have to say that most of the offenders parking in the mum & child spaces at our local supermarket would be young/middle aged women with no children or grown up children, I dont see many men doing it.

and yes, before you all have a go at me, men are very aggressive drivers. lol

oh yes sean, by me its mostly 'wags' in 4x4's and sports cars using the parent and child spaces, i challenged one once as i had had to park in a normal space further away and struggle with our ashleigh in a wheelchair (at the time she was in half body cast) and this girl says to me, "oh love ive got a jeep, and it just dosent fit in the normal spaces giggle giggle", i nearly slapped her, id just parked my jeep and managed to get a baby in a wheelchair sorted out, yet she couldnt risk scratching her car in a normal space, the air was blue i can tell you lol

Sadly, near where I lived (I very recently moved to the sticks where no supermarket will deliver either) it was normally Army officers parking in those spaces. They obviously felt they couldn't park in an ordinary space with the rest of us mere mortals. But I guess that is from living in an army town. I actually complained to Army Welfare as well, who asked me to take note of the individual registrations. I did a couple of times and reported...don't know if anything happened, but the military have their own way of 'enforcing' the rules...even civilian ones, as you are expected to be a model citizen if you want to survive!

I have to say, however, I have now discoverd another way of life that is actually rather more pleasant...not for everyone, I guess as the convenience of the supermarket is what most people want, but now, I generally purchase meat from a butcher, fish from a fishmonger...vegetables we either grow or get from a farm shop, and we bake our own bread. I purchase a good old fashioned sack of spuds and they last ages...cost me half the price of the supermarket and taste great! In fact it all tastes much better....it doesn't cost more (in fact it usually costs less - not lleast of all because I'm not buying expensive ready made foods) and as it's not all hidden fats and sugars, I'm actually finding it pretty easy to lose weight!

Oh and all the shops are in walking distance, apart from the farm shop - who have a tons of parking right outside or deliver!

We only need to visit a supermarket (25 miles away) once every few weeks....for household stuff like loo rolls, which I buy in bulk - again cos its much cheaper and means I don't have to 'nip out to the shops' every 2 minutes.

And before you say it - you'll be amazed how many places do have shops like this available to them. And there'd be more if we supported them. I know there wil be a deluge of people denying accessability to to them all now, but I urge you before you dismiss it completely at least check it out! I've lived all over the country from inner city to totally rural and I promise, I've always found at leat a good farm shop that is within easy-ish distance or delivers to my area, and there is usually a good butcher around.

Sadly, near where I lived (I very recently moved to the sticks where no supermarket will deliver either) it was normally Army officers parking in those spaces. They obviously felt they couldn't park in an ordinary space with the rest of us mere mortals. But I guess that is from living in an army town. I actually complained to Army Welfare as well, who asked me to take note of the individual registrations. I did a couple of times and reported...don't know if anything happened, but the military have their own way of 'enforcing' the rules...even civilian ones, as you are expected to be a model citizen if you want to survive!

I have to say, however, I have now discoverd another way of life that is actually rather more pleasant...not for everyone, I guess as the convenience of the supermarket is what most people want, but now, I generally purchase meat from a butcher, fish from a fishmonger...vegetables we either grow or get from a farm shop, and we bake our own bread. I purchase a good old fashioned sack of spuds and they last ages...cost me half the price of the supermarket and taste great! In fact it all tastes much better....it doesn't cost more (in fact it usually costs less - not lleast of all because I'm not buying expensive ready made foods) and as it's not all hidden fats and sugars, I'm actually finding it pretty easy to lose weight!

Oh and all the shops are in walking distance, apart from the farm shop - who have a tons of parking right outside or deliver!

We only need to visit a supermarket (25 miles away) once every few weeks....for household stuff like loo rolls, which I buy in bulk - again cos its much cheaper and means I don't have to 'nip out to the shops' every 2 minutes.

And before you say it - you'll be amazed how many places do have shops like this available to them. And there'd be more if we supported them. I know there wil be a deluge of people denying accessability to to them all now, but I urge you before you dismiss it completely at least check it out! I've lived all over the country from inner city to totally rural and I promise, I've always found at leat a good farm shop that is within easy-ish distance or delivers to my area, and there is usually a good butcher around.

I am so with you on this one hun I to don't get any supermarkets that are willing to deliver to me.
I have many nice local shops a butcher, fruit & veg shop and a small co op.
For me to go to a large supermarket like Tesco or Asda it is around 45 miles so like you I go maybe every 3 to 4 weeks for a large shop and rely on my local shops.

My son is 18 now and we all seemed to manage without mothere and child spaces then. I park in them after 8pm as all pesky kids should be in bed by then.:green:..but i don't in the day i have to say

My son is 18 now and we all seemed to manage without mothere and child spaces then. I park in them after 8pm as all pesky kids should be in bed by then.:green:..but i don't in the day i have to say

why do you park in them after 8pm????????????..... surley at that time..there are ALOT more spaces.....

Cos they are closer to the shop i guess and i am usually wacked out by that time of night:lol:

Cos they are closer to the shop i guess and i am usually wacked out by that time of night:lol:

were all wacked by 8 hun...but we dont park in mother and baby or disabled..........they are there for a reason .....:green:

Latest posts

Back