ASDA/TESCO... Child car spaces!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellpink

Reaction score
Is it just me,but, every time I go shopping theres never any child spaces, whenever Im waiting for someone to go..... they NEVER have any babies/children with them!!! Its sooooo frustrating!!!:mad: and they are so rude if you nicely say 'these are for mother with babies' I never park in the spaces if I dont have my children with me! Asda have now got signs up saying they will fine £60 but yesrerday, shopping, the lady next to me...once again...no baby/child!! but no fine!? does anyone care??? apparently NOT! Does this annoy anyone else or is it me? :confused:

It does annoy me...

it also annoys me for the disabled spaces...

When I have my mum with me she has a disabled badge...I also always have my baby with me...so I can take my pick... which means I have double the annoyance when I see the idiots who park in them who are neither disabled or who have children...

another point though...it is amazing how many people who have a disabled badge...but cannot get a vacant space...think it is ok for them to go in the mother and baby...and vice versa !!!! This is just as bad...

I have had many an argument over these spaces...

My mum informs me there are to be fines at Sainbury's... be great if it materializes....

Oh no, your not alone! It is really frustrating. Once when we went to Tesco we saw a lady walking back to her car which was parked in a parent/child space, and low and behold no child! But if that wasn't bad enough, the lady had a Tesco uniform on! You would have thought she should have known better!. I did take her reg down and was going to report her but never got round to it. Should have though!

Take their reg and get customer services to tannoy them ... hopefully when they are halfway round with a full trolley!! x

As a mother i couldn't care less if they removed all the mother and baby spaces and made them disabled !

I don't think they are necessary and don't feel i deserve to be able to park closer to the door because i have a child.

I'd rather they be reserved for the elderly

As a mother i couldn't care less if they removed all the mother and baby spaces and made them disabled !

I don't think they are necessary and don't feel i deserve to be able to park closer to the door because i have a child.

I kind of agree, although, I remember when the kids were babies I was grateful of a larger space so I could fully open the door and get them in and out and with the space being closer to the door of the supermarket, handy for when it was raining!
But yes now the kids are older and dont need to palava, Im not fussed if I have to park at the other end of the car park!

I think maybe it should be mother and BABY, not toddler, not teenager, but BABY!

I disagree with the elderly parking in the Mother and Baby spaces though and vice versa, they are allocated for a reason and some peeps take the p**s!

Phew I feel like Ive run a marathon!! lol!! xxxx

I agree with this actually...as I know how it is for my mum...she also needs the wide space because her leg doesn't bend so she has to have the door wide open...

which was the same when I needed to get a car seat out...you do need the door wide open...but now he is in the next stage it doesn't matter...

plus here in Spain...there is no respect for cars...so I park as far away from the supermarket entrance as possible...because I like my doors too much...and I need two parking spaces for my car with it being too big ( Spanish spaces are made for donkey's )...

So yes... Disabled spaces are more important.... Good point...!!!!

I didnt used to use them because it was to much stress trying to find a free one.
I used to very selfish I know park in the middle of 2 spaces - purely so I could get daughter out in her baby carrier.
Stopped that now because Tescos near to me have an outside company issuing fines for not being in the lines.

For me it's not about being nearer the store, it's about being able to get the girls in and out.
Many a time I've had to squeeze them in the wrong side of the car and strap them in with me in the drivers seat!!

I have actually watched someone park in a mother and baby space with no children when I was looking for one, so I knocked on their window and asked them to move - which they did.
Hubbies had a go at young Tesco workers (group of lads) sat in their uniforms smoking in the car in a mother and baby space.
I then reported them to the manager.

I park in the mother & toddler spaces because the space is wider, I do struggle trying to strap my baby in when people are parked so close, not because they are closer.

I had this very conversation with some Mum's from my ante-natal group and went on to actually mentioned it to our local Tesco customer service desk that what mothers want is a wider space, not a closer space. And yes that the closer spaces are better deserved by the disabled and elderly.

We therefore suggested that they may consider putting the spaces slightly further away, so they wouldn't be considered premium spaces by the others and therefore wouldn't get nicked so quickly. I also said it would help if the trolley's with infant carriers and seats were located near to the Parent and child spaces.

They looked at me like I was an alien from the Planet La la, and said. 'Oh we just put stuff where head office tell us - nothing we can do about it'

So much for customer feedback and all that.:rolleyes:

I kind of agree, although, I remember when the kids were babies I was grateful of a larger space so I could fully open the door and get them in and out and with the space being closer to the door of the supermarket, handy for when it was raining!
But yes now the kids are older and dont need to palava, Im not fussed if I have to park at the other end of the car park!

I think maybe it should be mother and BABY, not toddler, not teenager, but BABY!

I disagree with the elderly parking in the Mother and Baby spaces though and vice versa, they are allocated for a reason and some peeps take the p**s!

Phew I feel like Ive run a marathon!! lol!! xxxx

i agree...when my children were babies i would race for the mother and baby space...as it gave me room to open doors wide......i have seen the elderly park in mother and baby spaces myelf....xx

Aw Jeez...don't encourage the elderly to drive lol:eek: now you have touched on my pet hate!!!!

I also get annoyed about people misusing the disabled bays, and think it is a great idea for Asda & Tesco to start enforcing it a bit better.

I am a little confused though as to why people with children should get to park nearer the store...does having children affect your mobility in some way???? Could you enlighten me?:rolleyes:

I had this very conversation with some Mum's from my ante-natal group and went on to actually mentioned it to our local Tesco customer service desk that what mothers want is a wider space, not a closer space. And yes that the closer spaces are better deserved by the disabled and elderly.

We therefore suggested that they may consider putting the spaces slightly further away, so they wouldn't be considered premium spaces by the others and therefore wouldn't get nicked so quickly. I also said it would help if the trolley's with infant carriers and seats were located near to the Parent and child spaces.

They looked at me like I was an alien from the Planet La la, and said. 'Oh we just put stuff where head office tell us - nothing we can do about it'

So much for customer feedback and all that.:rolleyes:

Excellent Idea!

You are so right it really is the issue of wider spaces, not that they are close to the store.

I am a little confused though as to why people with children should get to park nearer the store...does having children affect your mobility in some way???? Could you enlighten me?:rolleyes:

It has affected both my physical and mental ability (more the mental though tbh :lol:)

I do feel sorry for the poor mom with 2/3 babies/ toddlers struggling to walk them to the store or carry a carseat, especially if.. (probably is being brittan!!) is pooring with rain, I think she needs a heads up!!

There has been a lot of arguments around here at my local tescos as Parent & Child spaces are exactly that & using different excuses, .... for instance somebody who is a parent and someone elses child, but not necessarily under 16 ... they are still a parent and a somebodys child, they can park there!

And mother & baby ... does that mean that a father cannot park there?

You can also be classed as disabled for not having a walking or movement problem, or even using a wheel chair, should a person still park in a space closer to the shop??

Just thought I'd throw a few spanners in :!:

I get so mad when I take my daughter shopping she is 12 years old but has Arthritis so can some times have problems walking long distances so she has a Disabled Badge.
The looks we get from people when we park is unreal they make you feel like criminals for using the space.

If the Disable Bays are full we will use a Child and Mother space and I have even had a mother park in front of me and tell me to move as I don't have a buggy wtf I am as untitled to park there as the next person:irked:
They normally look so embarrassed when they see me put the badge in the window and I just give them a smug look.

Well the first thing i would say is that i have always managed in a standard sized parking bay and secondly having numerous amounts of children does make things more awkward,however

lets say all the bays were taken by parents with babies,you would go and find another bay and park in it and this wouldn't be a problem,right ?

So where's the big deal ? If it's simply the principle of it i'd say don't sweat it,too much frowning results in needing botox :D

Last edited:
Must say that to be honest they are all very nice and convenient but we don't really need them.They are more of a ploy to get people shopping at the store ,look how much we care about the mums.
It is more difficult to get a baby in a carseat but it can be done and serves you right if you have 1 or 2 children in a chelsea tractor and have problems get a proper sized car for our roads.
It would generally just be a better idear to make all the spaces wider.

Dont get me started.

I once by accident parked in Tesco's over a Disabled space, purly by accident. Returned to my car to find, I had been told off.

I never park in the mother & child space unless I have my kids with me, and get so mad when I see people without children doing it, and they never get a note stuck to their screen.

I did once though stick a note to someones care, telling them that they were in a child space and that they didnt have a child with them.

Latest posts

Back