Ash tones going warm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo222

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Right, my natural colour is a base 7. No warmth to it, what people would describe as "mousy". When I have bleach highlights they come out fine. I had a global colour yesterday wella -8.1 6% and it's a very warm! Like an 8.3. Now it's not the tints fault as i have previously used matrix 8a and Nxt 8.1, they all come out warm, not ashy. Now I know even though it's a "mousy" colour naturally it's sometimes harder to get an ashier tone. It's fine hair, no grey. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Ant theory behind it?
Thanks!

/1 in wella doesn't neutralize the undesired warmth at level 8. If your seeing 8.3, and you want to neutralize that warmth, what does your color wheel tell you to use?

Thanks for replying. As its more yellow than orange I should go with a violet tone. If I was to do this again, with wella, would you suggest maybe dropping it down to a level 7 rather than 8?

I am new to wella X

Just because the hair appears ashy dosent mean it is, the underlying tone of a 7 is gold/orange so when lifting this will always be revealed, I'm not familiar with wella but I know the right tone is up the other end of the numbers rather than the lower end .1

Thinking about it, the base is slightly to light and warm - I should have used 7/89 in colour touch rather than lifting it.

Did you lift it enough?

Yes it was only 1 shade of lift - so used 6%, I just used the wrong tone Just didn't think about properly

You've got it now tho :) happy days :)

I can't use wella for this exact reason lol I find the numbers a little too confusing :oops:

I won't lie I am struggling abit with adjusting to it, matrix was easy - the letters example - AV - ash violet - was easy, I like that wella is testing me but in all honesty Iv had a problem with this particular question for a while, I just didn't think! I'm angry with myself now! Haha! At least I know now! Thanks soooo much for the help!

And you basically answered where you went wrong yourself which is a plus too as it means your getting there with the wella numbering system! What's made you change to wella? Out of choice or a new salon?

If you wanted to go lighter, illumina 8/69 would have also been a good choice. You could still use it as a gloss.

The numbering system is why I love wella:

/1 muting
/2 cancels red
/6 cancels yellow
/8 cancels orange
/9 also cancels yellow with a muted violet

And you basically answered where you went wrong yourself which is a plus too as it means your getting there with the wella numbering system! What's made you change to wella? Out of choice or a new salon?
Thanks! We have changed as wella seems to be a better known brand. And it's also easier to get hold of, matrix is only available at 1 wholesalers were as wella is at all of them xx

The numbering system is why I love wella:

/1 muting
/2 cancels red
/6 cancels yellow
/8 cancels orange
/9 also cancels yellow with a muted violet
Thankyou!

Hi everyone.
Right, my natural colour is a base 7. No warmth to it, what people would describe as "mousy". When I have bleach highlights they come out fine. I had a global colour yesterday wella -8.1 6% and it's a very warm! Like an 8.3. Now it's not the tints fault as i have previously used matrix 8a and Nxt 8.1, they all come out warm, not ashy. Now I know even though it's a "mousy" colour naturally it's sometimes harder to get an ashier tone. It's fine hair, no grey. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Ant theory behind it?
Thanks!

Hi everyone.
Thanks!
May I ask when you bleached the hair did you then use the the toner?

I used bleach for highlights and tint for global colour x

Latest posts

Back