Asking ‘self employed’ nail tech to leave?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lixy

Reaction score
Good evening

I am after some advice please?

I have a self employed nail tech working from my salon, who I have had enough of!

She is a very rude and abrupt person, constantly chase her rent, she has been rude to clients, the list is endless tbh! Issues have been getting worse since December, which I have raised several times - last month she was given one last chance.

I’ve been away on holiday, and she has reverted back to her ‘ways’...

Anyhow, there has been an element of trust being an issue, and I have since found out she has had clients in salon and not recorded them on the system. She has also been seeing me off on her rent (she pays 25% of takings).

I have been fair and tried to involve her as a team member, and given her freedom to run her ‘business’ her way - I do not interfere, although I expect high standard of customer service when representing my salon - and to just help with things like greeting ANYONE wHo walks through the door, or clean up her area!

Anyway, has anyone experienced anyone working in their salon who has had the p*ss taken out of them?

She has a key, but I don’t want her in the salon alone after I say something...

How did you deal with things like this?
TIA

Don't ask her for a meeting.
Personally I would fake book an appointment with her and when for example 9am comes. You say "right I am Joe bloggs.......... And I would like to sit down with you immediately"
pay her for the fake appointment and ask her to leave. Say you need your key back and if she refuses you can (I believe ) call the police as the keys are your property.

Skill is one thing but attitude and rudeness will get you a bad reputation and cause lots of bad vibes in your salon which is unfair on you and your staff.
.....you may even lose staff if it's that bad.

Good luck x

Don't ask her for a meeting.
Personally I would fake book an appointment with her and when for example 9am comes. You say "right I am Joe bloggs.......... And I would like to sit down with you immediately"
pay her for the fake appointment and ask her to leave. Say you need your key back and if she refuses you can (I believe ) call the police as the keys are your property.

Skill is one thing but attitude and rudeness will get you a bad reputation and cause lots of bad vibes in your salon which is unfair on you and your staff.
.....you may even lose staff if it's that bad.

Good luck x

THAT is a marvellous idea!! Thank you...

You are so right - the rest of us get on so well, and this bad egg is causing tensions and atmosphere that even our clients have commented on. It’s not how I/we work... staff at getting down about it, and god forbid if I ever lost them.

Thanks for the luck - I’m so nervous! [emoji30] x

THAT is a marvellous idea!! Thank you...

You are so right - the rest of us get on so well, and this bad egg is causing tensions and atmosphere that even our clients have commented on. It’s not how I/we work... staff at getting down about it, and god forbid if I ever lost them.

Thanks for the luck - I’m so nervous! [emoji30] x
Ah don't be, take it from someone who's been there!!

The geeks on here taught me well!

I read somewhere 'hire slow...
Fire fast'
X

I have since learnt she is lying about her rent ( she pays me 25% of takings based on trust!) - she is lying about amounts she charges, and is deleting appointments from the system that she has done!
I’m so hurt, only found out today!

This person needs to go immediately. No excuses or second chances. Any difficulties, tell her that you have proof that she’s tried to defraud you out of money and if she tries to cause trouble, you will take it further. Remind her that Fraud and Theft are criminal offences and does she want to risk a criminal record?

Did you have a written contract in place?
Maybe next time consider a flat rate weekly rent instead of commission? You could always offer a reduced rate for the first 3 months to help them get started but be clear about when it will go up and by how much and stick to that.

You now need to grow 2 heads. A business one as well as your normal one for friends and family. ;)

You’ve had a bad experience but put it into perspective, use it as a learning opportunity and don’t let it affect the business going forward.

Best of luck!

Ah don't be, take it from someone who's been there!!

The geeks on here taught me well!

I read somewhere 'hire slow...
Fire fast'
X

Hire slow... fire fast, that is very true too!! Thanks lovely xx

This person needs to go immediately. No excuses or second chances. Any difficulties, tell her that you have proof that she’s tried to defraud you out of money and if she tries to cause trouble, you will take it further. Remind her that Fraud and Theft are criminal offences and does she want to risk a criminal record?

Did you have a written contract in place?
Maybe next time consider a flat rate weekly rent instead of commission? You could always offer a reduced rate for the first 3 months to help them get started but be clear about when it will go up and by how much and stick to that.

You now need to grow 2 heads. A business one as well as your normal one for friends and family. ;)

You’ve had a bad experience but put it into perspective, use it as a learning opportunity and don’t let it affect the business going forward.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice!

I will no longer be having anyone SE - my company is becoming a brand, and have learnt you get team players with the employed. And far more respect both ways.

I will certainly be using the advice above “hire slow, fire fast!”

She’s a hard one to crack, ALWAYS full of excuses and loves to play the victim - not today Glen Coco! It’s just having the courage now to get her in the salon ASAP to ask her to pack her stuff, give me the key, and leave! Luckily my husband is Police, so will having him on site too!

Thanks again! X

Thank you so much for your advice!

I will no longer be having anyone SE - my company is becoming a brand, and have learnt you get team players with the employed. And far more respect both ways.

I will certainly be using the advice above “hire slow, fire fast!”

She’s a hard one to crack, ALWAYS full of excuses and loves to play the victim - not today Glen Coco! It’s just having the courage now to get her in the salon ASAP to ask her to pack her stuff, give me the key, and leave! Luckily my husband is Police, so will having him on site too!

Thanks again! X
Ah fantastic!

Yeah after my last issue I decided the same.

*I've had everything from someone throwing a wobbler over the music we play (she wanted sad love songs in a lively salon on a Saturday .....erm no!)

*Someone offering to do work outside of the salon
*Someone decorating their desk theu rented for one day, with lights and tack at Christmas ....vile
*Stealing
*Issues with bullying

I had enough and now I'm so much harder!

X

Employed staff are much better and are an investment.

Ah fantastic!

Yeah after my last issue I decided the same.

*I've had everything from someone throwing a wobbler over the music we play (she wanted sad love songs in a lively salon on a Saturday .....erm no!)

*Someone offering to do work outside of the salon
*Someone decorating their desk theu rented for one day, with lights and tack at Christmas ....vile
*Stealing
*Issues with bullying

I had enough and now I'm so much harder!

X

Employed staff are much better and are an investment.

Crikey!! Some people are seriously demented!! Who are these fools?! Lol!!

Well today is the day... gulp!! Will let you all know how it goes, sure there will be tale to tell... [emoji15]

Crikey!! Some people are seriously demented!! Who are these fools?! Lol!!

Well today is the day... gulp!! Will let you all know how it goes, sure there will be tale to tell... [emoji15]

Good luck! Let us know how it goes

All done and dusted - have felt sick all day doing it. Didn’t get an apology, nor did she deny. Very strange, and a sad day. But weight lifted.
Thanks again all

All done and dusted - have felt sick all day doing it. Didn’t get an apology, nor did she deny. Very strange, and a sad day. But weight lifted.
Thanks again all
Wooohooooooo!

[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] Celebration time c'mon!

Well done.

Onwards and upwards! X

Wooohooooooo!

[emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] Celebration time c'mon!

Well done.

Onwards and upwards! X

Exactly that!! Thanks lovely xx

Latest posts

Back