Asking for options!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobow

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am in my mid 30s. I trained to be a hairdresser for 5 years before becoming pregnant on my first born at 20. I was never trained properly, just mainly left to do meche all day. I am confident with colour & meche a basic cut and some blowdrys.
My question is, am I to old to try get back into salon? And if I did would I have to start as a trainee again?
Any input would be appreciated I do feel maybe I’m a little old to be going back in with juniors.

Kind Regards B

Hey Everyone,

I am in my mid 30s. I trained to be a hairdresser for 5 years before becoming pregnant on my first born at 20. I was never trained properly, just mainly left to do meche all day. I am confident with colour & meche a basic cut and some blowdrys.
My question is, am I to old to try get back into salon? And if I did would I have to start as a trainee again?
Any input would be appreciated I do feel maybe I’m a little old to be going back in with juniors.

Kind Regards B

opinions not options, I couldnt modify

Definitely not too old. There's no such thing. It depends how confident you feel.
Some people in this position may go for a job and thrive off the pressure. Some people can't cope with the pressure and would prefer to be an assistant for a few months again to rejig their memory and gain confidence with the clients and products etc.

Agree with @ronray
It’s never too late although if you want to train again you might find it difficult getting into a salon to do that as an assistant.
One way in would be to get a job as a salon host or receptionist then join in on assistant training nights that way. And with this way you will still be getting a half decent wage and often receptionists are given commission on retail sales.

I also had a big break from hairdressing and I was so scared to get back to it. The only thing that helped was education and practice. Get some extra courses online and in person to get you up to date with all the new techniques and practice, even if is on the doll or friends and family. You will feel so much better going for interviews or if you decide to be freelance. Investing in education is the best help for confidence.

Latest posts

Back